11/5/2016 - Treasure Anti-Trust Act

Alex

As a sidenote, the hypocrisy from some people is hilarious. Sheepy gave you 10 days more of profit. However, when NPO sent the bank to new nations they were immediately penalized. Don't cheer your opponents getting screwed than be suprised when you do.

/me mutters something about game balance and bug fixes

Edited by Malal
  • Upvote 4

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

As a sidenote, the hypocrisy from some people is hilarious. Sheepy gave you 10 days more of profit. However, when NPO sent the bank to new nations they were immediately penalized. Don't cheer your opponents getting screwed than be suprised when you do.

This is a complete change in game mechanics though, not a misunderstanding about existing game rules.

• Upvote 3

Sheepy u did good :D

I was saying yesterday that if the game is unbalanced due to an exploit of game mechanics then it is on the developer, not the players, to fix it, and fix it you did. 10/10.

bw0643E.gif

Which people? I thought NPO's bank being taken was a bad idea, because it wasn't something just NPO did, and said something to that effect in that thread.

I think 99% of people were on the same page about the treasure system being broken. That part of the change makes sense. But the way this was done and the timing was, at least to my eyes, motivated by in game events and what they would mean for certain alliances compared to others. It is not a coincidence whatsoever that Alex has suddenly decided this is an issue that warrants a change... and for him to suggest it is borders on disingenuous. That's what my problem is, at least. :P

This game has always and will always be "whoever complains to Alex first about something being unfair gets to screw whoever took advantage of Alex's rules."

See that would almost be fine except Alex has played the "these are the rules you as a community need to find a way to deal with them" card about other changes when criticisms were raised.

I dunno. Like I said, discouraging.

• Upvote 1

Slaughter the shits of the world. They poison the air you breathe.

~ William S. Burroughs

The salt from "some people" (specifically, just you) is more hilarious. Sheepy determined that they had broken the Game Rules, so they were immediately given a monetary fine. We didn't have anything to do with that.

/me mutters something about lame FA smearing attempts

EDIT: And in fact, in addition to not having anything to do with that, several of us advocated for annulling the punishment. Manthrax did (as he mentioned above), Jessica did, and so you don't even have a reason for your salt xD

Edited by Beowulf the Second
  • Upvote 1

01:58:39 <BeowulftheSecond> Belisarius of The Byzantine Empire has sent your nation $0.00, 0.00 food, 0.00 coal, 0.00 oil, 0.00 uranium, 0.00 lead, 0.00 iron, 0.00 bauxite, 0.00 gasoline, 0.00 munitions, 1,000.00 steel, and 0.00 aluminum from the alliance bank of Rose.
01:58:46 <BeowulftheSecond> someone please explain 
01:59:12 <%Belisarius> sleep deprivatin is a &#33;@#&#036; @_@
01:59:14 â€” %Belisarius shrugs
01:59:18 <BeowulftheSecond> we're at WAR. WE ARE BURNING EACH OTHER'S PIXELS

• Administrators

You created treasures to help foster tensions between alliances. Treasures were supposed to help spark wars/politics. This didn't happen. 

You have now edited treasures to make them less desirable. Further lessening their original creation. 

What is/are the point(s) of treasures now?

Treasures are still something to compete for, and they are still desirable. It's will be just as desirable to have one treasure after this change takes effect as it will be to have one treasure before. The incentive just diminishes as you aggregate treasures, preventing a "snowball" effect.

Which people? I thought NPO's bank being taken was a bad idea, because it wasn't something just NPO did, and said something to that effect in that thread.

I think 99% of people were on the same page about the treasure system being broken. That part of the change makes sense. But the way this was done and the timing was, at least to my eyes, motivated by in game events and what they would mean for certain alliances compared to others. It is not a coincidence whatsoever that Alex has suddenly decided this is an issue that warrants a change... and for him to suggest it is borders on disingenuous. That's what my problem is, at least. :P

See that would almost be fine except Alex has played the "these are the rules you as a community need to find a way to deal with them" card about other changes when criticisms were raised.

I dunno. Like I said, discouraging.

It is discouraging, I acknowledge that. However, what I believe is consolation is that you've already had a significant amount of profit from this mechanic, and will continue to do so for the next 10 days. I don't know how much you invested, exactly, but a 22% gross income bonus for the next 120 turns is not insignificant.

Also, what prompted this change was a discussion I was having with a player who insisted that treasures needed to be changed and that they were a force for alliances at the top to stay on top. I told him to negotiate with those alliances, work together with other smaller alliances to take a treasure, etc. and he repeatedly insisted this was not possible due to the power disparity. We'd been having this conversation for a little over a week, and I repeatedly told him he could address this in-equality through in-game mechanics without ever investigating the issue myself. I only did that after one of his treasures was immediately taken, and after negotiation/war he simply had no choice but to give up his treasure to a larger alliance. That was when I checked out who actually held the treasures and was shocked to see how aggregated they have become in so few alliances. After considering how this could be addressed, and conversing with a couple of players whose judgement I trust, I went ahead and made this announcement. There was no political motivations, other than to help topple (or at least reduce the support for) the current alliance power structure.

• Upvote 2

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Considering the purpose of treasures' existence, this seems kind of counter intuitive. 

Edited by Kayser

PvczX3n.jpg?1

“ Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination. â€

–The First Ideal of the Windrunners,

• Administrators

Treasures were created to spurn/spark war/politics. I was vastly more willing to go to war against treasure Island for their 12 treasures before this update. A (even remotely significant) war will never happen with treasures, especially now with this change. You should remove them entirely and rethink the idea, or find a new purpose for them. The are now even more just random bonuses that have no meaningful purpose behind them.

You may have considered it, but the fact is that if no one had done it, TI would have continued to grow in power until no one could do it.

Treasures are still important accessories to alliance and nation growth.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Alex, the most significant failure from you on this is timing. You made this change AFTER Treasure Island purchased the treasures for this cycle at prices based on the old bonus. You &#33;@#&#036;ed over the players in that group. But as usual, you don't see a problem with your timing. Because &#33;@#&#036; the player base.

I for one and surprised and shocked by this.

I am also lying. What did you guys think would happen?

We all knew it would happen, but as usual, his timing is horrible.

• Upvote 5

☾☆

Priest of Dio

º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¸ GOD EMPEROR DIO BRANDO¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¸ DIO BRANDO GOD EMPEROR¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

I for one and surprised and shocked by this.

I am also lying. What did you guys think would happen? 

We did suspect that the treasure mechanic would be changed - it was one of the first things mentioned when the idea of TI was proposed. I guess we thought it would happen sooner though, so we got a bit relaxed. Also, we did not think Sheepy would change the entire treasure system 3 days after respawn.

Such garbage. You said nations need to start using the "politics side of politics and war" so we start doing that, and you nerf the benefit of politics. So pathetic.

• Upvote 1

º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¸ GOD EMPEROR DIO BRANDO¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¸ DIO BRANDO GOD EMPEROR¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

Treasures as a whole werent really well placed. They have a nasty tendency to spawn in tiny nations who could benefit from it in the thousands of dollars where as bigger nations its millions. Yeah TI hoards alot of treasures and seem "unbeatable" but to be completely blunt its because everyone else who wasnt in the ts/mensa sphere (before they lumped into ti) still suck something AWEFUL at war. The disparity between the 10% and the 90% isnt treasure related at all. Its about being better. The betters ended up getting the treasures, not visa versa (the treasures making nations better)

You can punish us, but you will not stop us.

• Upvote 2

• Jax locked this topic