Discord vs. IRC

Foltest

• Wiki Mod

Mibbit + bouncer offers all the same text chat features that discord does.

@Mibbit haters, not it's fault you don't know how to use it.

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

I prefer slack over irc, i can just open up my app on my tablet and bam, instantly in TKR's group and have access to all their public chans... But i highly recommend avoiding tkrs general chat after dark or you will regret it.

• Upvote 1

Amidst the eternal waves of time From a ripple of change shall the storm rise Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon Behold the razgriz, its wings of black sheath The demon soars through dark skies Fear and death trail its shadow beneath Until men united weild a hallowed sabre In final reckoning, the beast is slain As the demon sleeps, man turns on man His own blood and madness soon cover the earth From the depths of despair awaken the razgriz Its raven wings ablaze in majestic light

• Wiki Mod

You realize that unless you have found literally the worst irc client ever you can have autojoin with almost no effort right?

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

IRC is better by the fact its an open standard and you have your choice of tens of dozens of clients across any platform that connects to the net. If one does not like Discords or Slacks UI or the way you interact with it you are stuck with it :angry: , with IRC I can use GUI, CLI, TUI, text2speech, even Braille!  Discord and Slack are closed locked down platforms that will not be around in 10 years whilst IRC will still be around 50 years from now.

• Upvote 1

We at CS are staying with Slack thank you. :P

• Upvote 1

UQllJcz.png?2

2nd, 4th, and 6th Adelphotes Princeps of Cornerstone, Ambassador to Black Knights, 4th Grand Pilus of Cornerstone, 2nd Chaplain of Cornerstone, 5th Questor Princeps of Cornerstone

That's the issue.

People jump to these new chat things as there's plenty of others, other then IRC.

And then the community is split up as a result

#BanDiscord2016

Ban discord, use slack

#slackaccountsmatter

You realize that unless you have found literally the worst irc client ever you can have autojoin with almost no effort right?

IIRC on the coldfront network, you can set up your ajoin list under options associated to your registered nick, instead of your client.

Le1AjCa.png

• Wiki Mod

IIRC on the coldfront network, you can set up your ajoin list under options associated to your registered nick, instead of your client.

Thats nice, still leaves you with the hassle of logging in & it only works for that server. Far better to leave everything client side.

I'm bored, so let me debunk your nonsense. If you want to shill for Discord, do a better job.

1)

Objectively wrong as a point for Discord. IRC is available for all platforms as well, phone clients and IRC for Mac exist.

Interestingly enough, Discord lacks decent Linux support, which is a decent amount of people use, if you factor in the fact that these type of games attract computer savvy people more then most. IRC doesn't lack that.

So point FOR IRC. Be dishonest somewhere else.

2)

Note that Discord completely lacks Windows Phone support support.

Also seriously? You can access IRC from Phones as well. So IRC can be accessed from Phones, Discord can only be accessed from non Windows Phones.

Point for IRC.

3)

Mibbit?

Why the heck would you want to use a browser anyway? An actual client is far far better.

4)

Joining Coldfront is very very easy as well on most decent clients.

Unless your members are literally too stupid to notice basic instructions. Then I question why they're in your alliance.

5)

Like every other IRC client out there is free. That's like me saying Discord needs money due for paying for emoticons. What an utterly stupid argument.

Mirc is free anyway, hence your tricked point. So good work refuting yourself in your own argument.

6)

No, get a better alliance and better members and they'll have less chance of deleting. If your members can't function something as basic as IRC, then they're too flippin stupid to be in your alliance. You're treating IRC like it's string theory. 

Pssst, Erepub had masses of more members then this game at it's height and people still used IRC. Saying IRC is killing the game is 100% bogus. 

Chances are, you'll just drive Linux and Windows Phone users away from your alliance by using Discord over IRC, with your dishonest arguments. 

Try harder Lyin' Ray. Very sad! 

1) Ever heard of wine? If it's not on linux, emulate it trough wine. That's how people using linux work. Your point is invalid.

2) Serves you right for using Windows Phone. You can still acess it trough browser on windows phone. Your point is invalid.

3) Mayber you don't like installing shit on work or someone else's computer? Use browser instead. Your point is invalid.

4) Basic?! That shit it literally the most complex instructions set I've ever seen for setting up communications and I use TS, Discord, formus, IRC, email, shoutbox, regrular mail, fax and carier pigeons! Your point is invalid.

5) Meh, can't be bothered to check acuraccy of facts here, so I'll just say: Probably the only valid point in your whole argument.

6) Not being willing to try advanced communication method is not equal to beign stupid. So no, your alliance is better of having people who don't wish to use IRC. You can still use them for tax farming and cannon fodder too. Your argument is invalid.

7) Just because you "countered" few points doesn't mean you won the argument for IRC. The facts that Discord has much nicer GUI, better permissions system, voice chat, automatic history and date logging, various other costumization options, tts, and other thigns still stands.

So brielfy and in summary, Try harder Lyin' Trump. Very sad! Discord > IRC.

(And I hate Discord, prefer teamspeak as my choice of communication, but Discord IS objectively better than IRC).

tvPWtuA.gif

1) Ever heard of wine? If it's not on linux, emulate it trough wine. That's how people using linux work. Your point is invalid.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17298

Rating garbage. I like how you try to lecture me on how to use a computer and don't even get the fact that WINE isn't magic. So nice job fool.

2) Serves you right for using Windows Phone. You can still acess it trough browser on windows phone. Your point is invalid.

Are you dumb or something? It's literally harder to access via Windows Phone. So it's a point in my favor. Dishonest!

3) Mayber you don't like installing shit on work or someone else's computer? Use browser instead. Your point is invalid.

What's that supposed to mean? You can use both normal clients for IRC and browser clients for IRC. The same applies to Discord.

4) Basic?! That shit it literally the most complex instructions set I've ever seen for setting up communications and I use TS, Discord, formus, IRC, email, shoutbox, regrular mail, fax and carier pigeons! Your point is invalid.

Emails often require you to go through captcha, phone numbers, addresses and all kinds of other stuff. Liar.

6) Not being willing to try advanced communication method is not equal to beign stupid. So no, your alliance is better of having people who don't wish to use IRC. You can still use them for tax farming and cannon fodder too. Your argument is invalid.

Nice job self refuting your earlier statement about IRC being complex. Are you really this disingenuous?

7) Just because you "countered" few points doesn't mean you won the argument for IRC.

I don't even need to win the argument as the points for IRC here are flat out lies and falsehoods.

The facts that Discord has much nicer GUI,

IRC is an internet protocol dumbass. It has about as much a nice GUI as HTTP has.

better permissions system,

Prove it.

voice chat,

Oh, somewhat of a point finally! I mean it's not like everyone wants to do voice chat is it?

automatic history and date logging,

Almost every IRC client out there has logs as well.

various other costumization options, tts, and other thigns still stands.

Which a decent client also has.

So brielfy and in summary, Try harder Lyin' Trump. Very sad! Discord > IRC.

but Discord IS objectively better than IRC).

Nope. Your points were crap.

Wrong, you didn't address my points. Never mind that what "better" is, is a subjective thing in itself.

I mean I know you don't know what the heck you're talking about, but it's truly disgusting you have to be very much dishonest and very much lying all the way through this, I totally get that you're probbaly promoting discord because everyone else is and you want to look good in the eyes of the public. This is what is very much wrong with this game, people like you think that emotional appeals like you chucked at me are better then logic and that's a pretty dishonest way of looking at things! But as soon as people like you carry on, we just get more and more problems. How sad!

My IQ is off the charts, I have a very big brain, much bigger then yours! Your dishonest arguments might fall stupid people, but I see through them like I do Clinton in a debate.

• Wiki Mod

So basically we've firmly established Discord ~ IRC > steam chat >  Team Speak > Carrier Pigeons ................................................................................................................. >Slack > facebook

Fixed

Prove it.

Oh, somewhat of a point finally! I mean it's not like everyone wants to do voice chat is it?

Almost every IRC client out there has logs as well.

Which a decent client also has.

Nope. Your points were crap.

Wrong, you didn't address my points. Never mind that what "better" is, is a subjective thing in itself.

I mean I know you don't know what the heck you're talking about, but it's truly disgusting you have to be very much dishonest and very much lying all the way through this, I totally get that you're probbaly promoting discord because everyone else is and you want to look good in the eyes of the public. This is what is very much wrong with this game, people like you think that emotional appeals like you chucked at me are better then logic and that's a pretty dishonest way of looking at things! But as soon as people like you carry on, we just get more and more problems. How sad!

My IQ is off the charts, I have a very big brain, much bigger then yours! Your dishonest arguments might fall stupid people, but I see through them like I do Clinton in a debate.

Except for wine your poitns were again garbage and dishonest in favour of IRC. I made my counter points and you faield to refute them properly. They are still valid as much as your origianl oens are invalid.

I have set up Arrgh discord. I have rolles for every alliance, as well as every rank in our alliance. Aside from that I could set up owner, SA, admin, mod, and other non ingame roles. I can stack more than one role on user, andI can decide the importance of each adn if they are visible or not. Each role carryes a set of permissions that can be set to allow, deny or default, on top of each channel having option to have different perrmission for each role. This is barely scraping the surface of what yo ucan do on Discord while on IRC you only have owner, admin, op, hop, member and voice.

The vocie chat is available but not necessary. You have to join a vocie channel to be able to use and hear voice. Voice cahnnels are separate from tex cahnnels but you can set up coresponding channels to allow both text and voice chat for all. So yeah it is a plust, a big one.

Wrong, IRC client onyl has logging of stuff that happens when you're online. So yeah unless you run your PC like a server 24/7 you don't have logs of what transpired while you're offline. Discord however stores text chat on yoru server and as soon as you log in you see what you missed while beign offline. Again a major point for discord + logs are not on your PC so it saves space on top of it.

So yeah bih brain. If you knew anything about it or how to use it properly you'd know that size matters the least. Brain size to weight has mroe impact than actual size since a lot of biggest animals have bigger brains than humans yet are not the more intelligent. The complexity, number of neuron connection and weight of the brain make bigger impact than size of brain. Again just becasue you got used to IRC and are to afraid to try something new doesn't mean it's bad. As matter of fact a new player who hasn't used either has better chance to adapt to Discord.

Case closed.

tvPWtuA.gif

Except for wine your poitns were again garbage and dishonest in favour of IRC. I made my counter points and you faield to refute them properly. They are still valid as much as your origianl oens are invalid.

I give you a link to the official wine site and showed you it didn't work.

But I guess you have no actual logical arguments and reasons against the Donald here? So you just scream invalid?

Wrong, IRC client onyl has logging of stuff that happens when you're online. So yeah unless you run your PC like a server 24/7 you don't have logs of what transpired while you're offline. Discord however stores text chat on yoru server and as soon as you log in you see what you missed while beign offline. Again a major point for discord + logs are not on your PC so it saves space on top of it.

Like almost everybody uses IRCloud or another variant these days anyway, so logs are included.

So yeah bih brain. If you knew anything about it or how to use it properly you'd know that size matters the least. Brain size to weight has mroe impact than actual size since a lot of biggest animals have bigger brains than humans yet are not the more intelligent. The complexity, number of neuron connection and weight of the brain make bigger impact than size of brain.

Also known as, I'm too dumb to get figurative language.

Again just becasue you got used to IRC and are to afraid to try something new doesn't mean it's bad. As matter of fact a new player who hasn't used either has better chance to adapt to Discord.

Last time you saw me on IRC?

The only advantage IRC offers over discord at this point is the laziness of certain members (Psweet) that refuse to switch over to newer platforms.

Otherwise Discord is equivalent in some ways and better in a lot of ways than IRC.

Edited by Holton
  • Upvote 1

• Wiki Mod

DragonK I'm sorry your a scrub & don't know how to set up irc.

@Holton, there are alot of things I can do on IRC that I can't on discord. I would say IRC & Discord are on about even footing. Which is better is strongly dependent on what you are trying to do.