Discord vs. IRC

Foltest

Discord is a lot more painless to setup though. Especially for first timers. Mibbit links do make getting into IRC easier, but registering, authenticating all the time, etc, can be a turn off. Its not exactly hard to do, but I would say discord is easier to pick up. Permissions are easier to manage as well. The two biggest gains really, aside from bundling voice chat in with the text (which IRC obviously can't do), is the automatic logging and mobile support. Its a lot easier to join in the middle of a conversation and pick it up thanks to the chat history, and also makes it a lot easier to see how active the channel is (and around what times), compared to IRC where you might join and have no idea if the chan is silent because its usually dead, or you just have poor timing. Also IRC mobile is a huge pain in the ass, lets be honest :P

That said, AIM is clearly the future, and that is where I proudly intend to lead SK.

• Upvote 4

Archduke Tyrell, Lord of Highgarden, Lord Paramount of the Reach, Warden of the South, Breaker of Forums.

I like IRC just because of the nostalgia -- and generally the "shitty" simple interface appeals to me. However the biggest pain with it was always explaining how to register accounts and shit like that to newcomes, and it would intimidate some of them that they just would not come. So Discord is fantastic to use for casual stuff like the game.

If you are looking for communities (i.e programming help channels) IRC is still the best bet.

Edited by Saru
  • Upvote 1

200px-UPN.svg.png

Second in Command of UPN

When you get to be an old, grouchy !@#$ like me who can barely figure out how to even get on here or dial a simple number on a smart phone.........screw them both......I ain't gots time for no new fangled technology! 

X4EfkAB.png

I'm bored, so let me debunk your nonsense. If you want to shill for Discord, do a better job.

1. Multiple platforms - Discord doesn't need you at your PC to access.

Objectively wrong as a point for Discord. IRC is available for all platforms as well, phone clients and IRC for Mac exist.

Interestingly enough, Discord lacks decent Linux support, which is a decent amount of people use, if you factor in the fact that these type of games attract computer savvy people more then most. IRC doesn't lack that.

So point FOR IRC. Be dishonest somewhere else.

You can access it through your mobile device

Note that Discord completely lacks Windows Phone support support.

Also seriously? You can access IRC from Phones as well. So IRC can be accessed from Phones, Discord can only be accessed from non Windows Phones.

Point for IRC.

or through a browser on your laptop.

Mibbit?

Why the heck would you want to use a browser anyway? An actual client is far far better.

2. Instant access - The age of lengthy guides to walk you through IRC set-up is over. Discord provides you a single link, you click it, you're in the channel. Either through your browser or the app itself.

Joining Coldfront is very very easy as well on most decent clients.

Unless your members are literally too stupid to notice basic instructions. Then I question why they're in your alliance.

3. For free - No cost ever, not even a paywall that needs to be "tricked" before you can access it (mIRC).

Like every other IRC client out there is free. That's like me saying Discord needs money due for paying for emoticons. What an utterly stupid argument.

Mirc is free anyway, hence your tricked point. So good work refuting yourself in your own argument.

tl;dr - get a discord channel(s), send your newbies to it instead of IRC and they'll have a better chance of not deleting after a week.

No, get a better alliance and better members and they'll have less chance of deleting. If your members can't function something as basic as IRC, then they're too flippin stupid to be in your alliance. You're treating IRC like it's string theory. 

Pssst, Erepub had masses of more members then this game at it's height and people still used IRC. Saying IRC is killing the game is 100% bogus. 

Chances are, you'll just drive Linux and Windows Phone users away from your alliance by using Discord over IRC, with your dishonest arguments. 

Try harder Lyin' Ray. Very sad! 

• Upvote 3

Also, haven't we figured out at this point. These types of vs are pointless due to people's personal preferences?

No. Your opinion is wrong, my opinion is right, 1v1 me irl

• Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Also, haven't we figured out at this point. These types of vs are pointless due to people's personal preferences?

Pretty much.

The goal should in effect be to give one form communication as the main one and try to keep it to that.

Anything else risks splitting the community. 

OP isn't going to convince people who prefer IRC, but if he promotes Discord, people who prefer it will come over to it.

As a result, the community just get split, hurting it. So nice work on his part. 

Personally like Discord a lot more. IRC doesn't work for me for some reason as verification never works for me (literally will work once then it stops), plus the general layout is outdated and overly complicated, which believe it or not forces most people to not want to deal with the hassle no matter "how basic" some previous people claim it to be. Again however that is my personal feelings towards it, most people simply like it because it is there or it's what they are used to. So in the end do I think all alliances should be encouraged or forced to move to discord? No that is on them to decide.

• Upvote 1

bots are cancer, bridging bots are worse. Pick a !@#$ing program and stick with it.

• Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Discord is the best thing that happened to me. I only use mobile, IRC was a problem for me, signing in, joining channels, I had to use it in chrome, so I would miss messages or just plain forget, got tired of switching tabs, and it would sign me out after a certain amount of time, ultimately I didn't use it at all.

Discord is best for me, I don't have to sign in, I don't have to join channels more than once, and I get notifications whenever there are messages. It's just easy to use, and definitely easier for anyone unfamiliar with this stuff.

"Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor."