Kemal's Guide on How to Git Gud

Kemal Ergenekon

Let's see numbers.

The value of infrastructure purchased, starting from the amount 1500 and ending at the amount 2000 is:

$9,558,807.85

Per Day: $426,400.00

$10,500 + $70,000 + $10,000 + $60,000 = upkeep with certain costs rounded up. Military accounts for full spies and planes give or take some cash.

$426,400 - $150,500 = $275,900 revenue at 100% commerce.

So unless I missed something, you'll recover the cost of the infra in ~35 days. That number can probably be lower if you get 115% commerce and use the -5% infra project. I also didn't add any treasure or color bonus to income.
Edited by Raymond Reddington

i have 13 cities at 3k infra, got nuked a few times this war but at the rate that i am rebuilding it wont take me months to rebuild my five cities that were nuked back up to 3k infra, those five are currently at 2k infra and i am capable of getting them back to 3k infra before the middle of the month and from their get a few more cities along with 3k infra for those cities before the next war. Plus i know how to fight a war so that reduces the amount of infra that i lose during a conventional war unless some poor sap has to rely on nukes to damage me. So if i am doing something wrong then almighty kemal please god me into the right direction but if you tell me to praise dio then i swear to god that i will cover your lands with snow.

Amidst the eternal waves of time From a ripple of change shall the storm rise Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon Behold the razgriz, its wings of black sheath The demon soars through dark skies Fear and death trail its shadow beneath Until men united weild a hallowed sabre In final reckoning, the beast is slain As the demon sleeps, man turns on man His own blood and madness soon cover the earth From the depths of despair awaken the razgriz Its raven wings ablaze in majestic light

You should praise Dio.

Hold on, coming up with a plan to drop snow on your lands.

Amidst the eternal waves of time From a ripple of change shall the storm rise Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon Behold the razgriz, its wings of black sheath The demon soars through dark skies Fear and death trail its shadow beneath Until men united weild a hallowed sabre In final reckoning, the beast is slain As the demon sleeps, man turns on man His own blood and madness soon cover the earth From the depths of despair awaken the razgriz Its raven wings ablaze in majestic light

The value of infrastructure purchased, starting from the amount 1500 and ending at the amount 2000 is:

$9,558,807.85

Per Day: $426,400.00

$10,500 + $70,000 + $10,000 + $60,000 = upkeep with certain costs rounded up. Military accounts for full spies and planes give or take some cash.

$426,400 - $150,500 = $275,900 revenue at 100% commerce.

So unless I missed something, you'll recover the cost of the infra in ~35 days. That number can probably be lower if you get 115% commerce and use the -5% infra project. I also didn't add any treasure or color bonus to income.

You are doing it wrong, you need to look at the marginal benefit.

Give me your sample 2000 infra city with all the buildings and I will show how to do the math properly.

77oKn5K.png

"I just wanted to point out that Aluminium and Gas projects are the most profitable once you account for slot combinations and things like upkeep."

You always take those into account. We are talking about profits. The ranking changes with prices. Gas has been solid for months. Steel is sometimes superseded by Alum or Mun, but that's usually temporary.

What combination of slots are you talking about? You look at the profitability of all potential buildings you can have, and build the most profitable first, second most profitable next, etc etc.. If you are talking about producing the inputs yourself as well, see my point about self-sufficiency being rubbish. You can buy the inputs on the market.

Food project has a huge sunk cost of investment. It doesn't beat the other projects if you have low cities/infra/land.

Most raw resource profit-per-slot numbers are exceeded by manufacturing profit-per-slot with the associated project.

This isn't correct once you factor in pollution and the cost to remove it, and the different slots refined resources require to operate.

You don't buy the most profitable slot then the next profitable slot then the next, because some slots require other slots to operate. Unless you are importing, which has its own costs, Refined resources require raws to operate,

For example, awhile back and for some time now, Aluminium has had the highest profit per slot with a project, produced natively, *but* producing Gasoline + Bauxite was a better investment (if you were in africa), because it's total amount was worth more.

If you buy based on highest to lowest on a profit per slot basis, you waste slots buying things like Recycling centers trying to offset the pollution costs.

Even if you import and "buy the inputs", you'll still need to offset with wasted slots which brings down the value of your whole setup.

I did concede that the food project is only worthwhile if you have 2500+ land so we sort of resolved that one.

As for "Most raw resource profit-per-slot numbers are exceeded by manufacturing profit-per-slot with the associated project.", that isn't correct once pollution is factored in as the effects of pollution require you to offset it with recycling centers and they bring down the value of the improvements.

That being said, the market is still a bit messed up atm, so it'll take awhile to normalize back to this.

XLL3z4T.gif

This isn't correct once you factor in pollution and the cost to remove it, and the different slots refined resources require to operate.

You don't buy the most profitable slot then the next profitable slot then the next, because some slots require other slots to operate. Unless you are importing, which has its own costs, Refined resources require raws to operate,

For example, awhile back and for some time now, Aluminium has had the highest profit per slot with a project, produced natively, *but* producing Gasoline + Bauxite was a better investment (if you were in africa), because it's total amount was worth more.

If you buy based on highest to lowest on a profit per slot basis, you waste slots buying things like Recycling centers trying to offset the pollution costs.

Even if you import and "buy the inputs", you'll still need to offset with wasted slots which brings down the value of your whole setup.

I did concede that the food project is only worthwhile if you have 2500+ land so we sort of resolved that one.

As for "Most raw resource profit-per-slot numbers are exceeded by manufacturing profit-per-slot with the associated project.", that isn't correct once pollution is factored in as the effects of pollution require you to offset it with recycling centers and they bring down the value of the improvements.

That being said, the market is still a bit messed up atm, so it'll take awhile to normalize back to this.

I don't think you are listening, I won't waste my time.

77oKn5K.png

I don't think you are listening, I won't waste my time.

I could say the same to you, considering I just explained my position clearly.

I made a calculator that calculates the profits based on what improvements and projects you have, based on your infra/land, disease, pollution, crime.

We actually agree with the general concept that profits per slot > sustainability. The difference is the best profit isn't getting the most profitable slots in a row, it's getting the best *combination* of possible slots.

Also, refined slots are not more profitable than raw slots, you need recycling centers to offset them.

I compared the build you are currently running since I assume that is what you consider to be optimal and compared it to mine and the difference is huge. Your build is hampered by the fact you have a hospital and 2 recycling centers, although the former is probably better for you since your city age is around 4 times as high as mine.

It doesn't help your on a continent with sub-par raws to be fair.

XLL3z4T.gif

I could say the same to you, considering I just explained my position clearly.

I made a calculator that calculates the profits based on what improvements and projects you have, based on your infra/land, disease, pollution, crime.

We actually agree with the general concept that profits per slot > sustainability. The difference is the best profit isn't getting the most profitable slots in a row, it's getting the best *combination* of possible slots.

Also, refined slots are not more profitable than raw slots, you need recycling centers to offset them.

I compared the build you are currently running since I assume that is what you consider to be optimal and compared it to mine and the difference is huge. Your build is hampered by the fact you have a hospital and 2 recycling centers, although the former is probably better for you since your city age is around 4 times as high as mine.

It doesn't help your on a continent with sub-par raws to be fair.

In terms of profitability per slot, we cannot disagree since I have a spreadsheet that simulates exactly all aspects of a nation including disease and pollution, and it works to the decimal. My current build is not updated to reflect today's prices, so no surprises there. I was previously on Africa and moved during the steel craze when coal and iron were selling at ridiculous prices. I am aware Africa is better at the moment.

You are wrong about the combination argument. There is a market for a reason. If it is more profitable to just convert inputs to outputs, you buy your inputs from the market. Profitability calculations take the market prices into account, not some imaginary price you set within your own nation. We certainly disagree. Self-sufficiency in terms of inputs is completely wasteful and unnecessary. Profitability comes first.

77oKn5K.png

1900->2000 is a tad over 3 months, not less than 2 months as I derped and thought about different numbers. Assuming a decent* build without taking projects into account and current market prices - with Open Markets policy, on an aged city.

City 1(1900 infra):

Nuclear Power 1
Oil Wells 6
Iron Mines 3
Uranium Mines 2
Farms 8
Steel Mills 3
Munitions Factories 2
Police Stations 1
Hospitals 1
Recycling Centers 2
Subways 1
Banks 3
Shopping Malls 3
Stadiums 2

Resource Production
Food 782.62
Steel 27.00
Aluminum 0.00
Munitions 36.00
Gasoline 0.00
Coal -9.00
Oil 54.00
Uranium 3.72
Iron 9.00
Bauxite 0.00
Lead -12.00

Infrastructure 1,900.00
Land 2,500.00
City Age 300
Treasure Bonus 0%
Color Bonus 3%
Domestic Policy -Open Markets

Total Income $596,927.94
Net Income $365,618.06
Gross Income $471,818.06
Base Income $453,540.39
Imp. Upkeep $106,200.00
Mil. Upkeep $0.00
Resources Income $231,309.87

City 2:

Nuclear Power 1
Oil Wells 6
Iron Mines 3
Uranium Mines 2
Farms 8
Steel Mills 3
Munitions Factories 3
Police Stations 1
Hospitals 3
Recycling Centers 1
Subways 1
Banks 3
Shopping Malls 3
Stadiums 2

Resource Production
Food 781.67
Steel 27.00
Aluminum 0.00
Munitions 54.00
Gasoline 0.00
Coal -9.00
Oil 54.00
Uranium 3.60
Iron 9.00
Bauxite 0.00
Lead -18.00

Infrastructure 2,000.00
Land 2,500.00
City Age 300
Treasure Bonus 0%
Color Bonus 3%
Domestic Policy Open Markets

Total Income $624,192.02
Net Income $388,583.55
Gross Income $497,783.55
Base Income $478,500.00
Imp. Upkeep $109,200.00
Mil. Upkeep $0.00
Resources Income $235,608.47

Final calculations:
City 1:$596,927.94
City 2: $624,192.02
Difference: $27,264.08

Purchase cost(buildings): 231,200
Purchase cost(infrastructure, 5% off): 2,355,648

RoI = 2586848 / 27,264 = ~94.8

*Decent build is subject to change through market prices. I found that often not building anything was more profitable than building factories as they increased pollution that costed more than their income.

Edited by Beatrix
  • Upvote 1

In terms of profitability per slot, we cannot disagree since I have a spreadsheet that simulates exactly all aspects of a nation including disease and pollution, and it works to the decimal. My current build is not updated to reflect today's prices, so no surprises there. I was previously on Africa and moved during the steel craze when coal and iron were selling at ridiculous prices. I am aware Africa is better at the moment.

You are wrong about the combination argument. There is a market for a reason. If it is more profitable to just convert inputs to outputs, you buy your inputs from the market. Profitability calculations take the market prices into account, not some imaginary price you set within your own nation. We certainly disagree. Self-sufficiency in terms of inputs is completely wasteful and unnecessary. Profitability comes first.

I have an entire spreadsheet that does the same thing, and the "imaginary price" I set is the current market values & average market values based on the last 15 and 30 days which are updated daily.

You completely missed the point of my combination argument, since I wasn't saying self-sufficiency is more important than profitability and somehow you interpreted it that way.

Refined resources have heavy pollution effects that require you to counteract them with additional recycling centers, whilst raws have minor pollution effects, lower upkeep etc.

If you take refined resources at their face value and ignore other facts, then sure they have a higher profit per slot. Once you factor in the drop in value from investing in improvements to counteract the effects of pollution and the profit drops a fair amount,

I have the profit per slot for each resources both raw and refined, both import and native, adjusted for factors like pollution, *and* a  calculator that simulates the exact effects each improvement has on your income based on pollution, upkeep, including adjustments for projects.

I'd challenge you to go through your numbers and reconsider your perception but that would require to actually read what I'm saying and I feel like you aren't doing that.

XLL3z4T.gif

I have an entire spreadsheet that does the same thing, and the "imaginary price" I set is the current market values & average market values based on the last 15 and 30 days which are updated daily.

You completely missed the point of my combination argument, since I wasn't saying self-sufficiency is more important than profitability and somehow you interpreted it that way.

Refined resources have heavy pollution effects that require you to counteract them with additional recycling centers, whilst raws have minor pollution effects, lower upkeep etc.

If you take refined resources at their face value and ignore other facts, then sure they have a higher profit per slot. Once you factor in the drop in value from investing in improvements to counteract the effects of pollution and the profit drops a fair amount,

I have the profit per slot for each resources both raw and refined, both import and native, adjusted for factors like pollution, *and* a  calculator that simulates the exact effects each improvement has on your income based on pollution, upkeep, including adjustments for projects.

I'd challenge you to go through your numbers and reconsider your perception but that would require to actually read what I'm saying and I feel like you aren't doing that.

I don't understand why you're writing all of this instead of showing a combination that is more profitable than what Kemal is saying. (I'm not saying you're wrong, but some data would be nice)

1900->2000 is a tad over 3 months, not less than 2 months as I derped and thought about different numbers. Assuming a decent* build without taking projects into account and current market prices - with Open Markets policy, on an aged city.

City 1(1900 infra):

Nuclear Power 1

Oil Wells 6

Iron Mines 3

Uranium Mines 2

Farms 8

Steel Mills 3

Munitions Factories 2

Police Stations 1

Hospitals 1

Recycling Centers 2

Subways 1

Banks 3

Shopping Malls 3

Stadiums 2

Resource Production

Food 782.62

Steel 27.00

Aluminum 0.00

Munitions 36.00

Gasoline 0.00

Coal -9.00

Oil 54.00

Uranium 3.72

Iron 9.00

Bauxite 0.00

Lead -12.00

Infrastructure 1,900.00

Land 2,500.00

City Age 300

Treasure Bonus 0%

Color Bonus 3%

Total Income $596,927.94

Net Income $365,618.06

Gross Income $471,818.06

Base Income $453,540.39

Imp. Upkeep $106,200.00

Mil. Upkeep $0.00

City 2:

Nuclear Power 1

Oil Wells 6

Iron Mines 3

Uranium Mines 2

Farms 8

Steel Mills 3

Munitions Factories 3

Police Stations 1

Hospitals 3

Recycling Centers 1

Subways 1

Banks 3

Shopping Malls 3

Stadiums 2

Resource Production

Food 781.67

Steel 27.00

Aluminum 0.00

Munitions 54.00

Gasoline 0.00

Coal -9.00

Oil 54.00

Uranium 3.60

Iron 9.00

Bauxite 0.00

Lead -18.00

Infrastructure 2,000.00

Land 2,500.00

City Age 300

Treasure Bonus 0%

Color Bonus 3%

Total Income $624,192.02

Net Income $388,583.55

Gross Income $497,783.55

Base Income $478,500.00

Imp. Upkeep $109,200.00

Mil. Upkeep $0.00

Final calculations:

Purchase cost(buildings): 231,200

Purchase cost(infrastructure, 5% off): 2,355,648

RoI = 2586848 / 27,264 = ~94.8

*Decent build is subject to change through market prices. I found that often not building anything was more profitable than building factories as they increased pollution that costed more than their income.

With a cursory glance, yes. The ROI alone for 1.9k to 2.0k is about 3+ months. Remember that the ROI for 1.8k to 1.9k is right around or just under 3 months. 1.7 to 1.8k is like 2. Those are additive so 1.7 to 2.0k infra is like 8 months. Works for GPA I guess.

-signature removed for rules violation-

1900->2000 is a tad over 3 months, not less than 2 months as I derped and thought about different numbers. Assuming a decent* build without taking projects into account and current market prices - with Open Markets policy, on an aged city.

City 1(1900 infra):

Nuclear Power 1
Oil Wells 6
Iron Mines 3
Uranium Mines 2
Farms 8
Steel Mills 3
Munitions Factories 2
Police Stations 1
Hospitals 1
Recycling Centers 2
Subways 1
Banks 3
Shopping Malls 3
Stadiums 2

Resource Production
Food 782.62
Steel 27.00
Aluminum 0.00
Munitions 36.00
Gasoline 0.00
Coal -9.00
Oil 54.00
Uranium 3.72
Iron 9.00
Bauxite 0.00
Lead -12.00

Infrastructure 1,900.00
Land 2,500.00
City Age 300
Treasure Bonus 0%
Color Bonus 3%

Total Income $596,927.94
Net Income $365,618.06
Gross Income $471,818.06
Base Income $453,540.39
Imp. Upkeep $106,200.00
Mil. Upkeep $0.00

City 2:

Nuclear Power 1
Oil Wells 6
Iron Mines 3
Uranium Mines 2
Farms 8
Steel Mills 3
Munitions Factories 3
Police Stations 1
Hospitals 3
Recycling Centers 1
Subways 1
Banks 3
Shopping Malls 3
Stadiums 2

Resource Production
Food 781.67
Steel 27.00
Aluminum 0.00
Munitions 54.00
Gasoline 0.00
Coal -9.00
Oil 54.00
Uranium 3.60
Iron 9.00
Bauxite 0.00
Lead -18.00

Infrastructure 2,000.00
Land 2,500.00
City Age 300
Treasure Bonus 0%
Color Bonus 3%

Total Income $624,192.02
Net Income $388,583.55
Gross Income $497,783.55
Base Income $478,500.00
Imp. Upkeep $109,200.00
Mil. Upkeep $0.00

Final calculations:

Purchase cost(buildings): 231,200
Purchase cost(infrastructure, 5% off): 2,355,648

RoI = 2586848 / 27,264 = ~94.8

Yes, that sounds about right. You included the worst two buildings for 1900->2000, right?

77oKn5K.png

There is no need to evaluate two different profit buildings together since there is something called the market. That is completely independent of the pollution effects.

77oKn5K.png

With a cursory glance, yes. The ROI alone for 1.9k to 2.0k is about 3+ months. Remember that the ROI for 1.8k to 1.9k is right around or just under 3 months. 1.7 to 1.8k is like 2. Those are additive so 1.7 to 2.0k infra is like 8 months. Works for GPA I guess.

They aren't really additive. You just want to make sure the break-even for the highest segment is worth it.

77oKn5K.png

They're not additives...

Steel is good to be producing right now if you have the project, but for several months prior to this war, steel prices weren't that high and coal/iron prices were high enough that it wasn't worth producing compared to producing some of the better raw resources. Infra levels do matter somewhat since pollution matters more at higher infra and that can make a difference of few thousand per slot in waste income for, say, 1500 infra vs 2500 infra per city.

Which infra level makes more sense also depends on how many military improvements you have. If you have none, you start to run out of decent improvements around 1700-1800 infra, if you have near max, there's still good improvements to unlock at 2000+.

Edited by Memph

There is no need to evaluate two different profit buildings together since there is something called the market. That is completely independent of the pollution effects.

I think what he's saying is that you have to compare the profitable of, say, 3.5 aluminum refineries and 1 recycling centre vs 11.67 bauxite mines and 1 recycling centre.

Based on resource prices from a couple days ago and 2000 infra/city, you get $38,973 in profits from 4.5 slots for $8,661 profits per slot for the former vs $135,782 in profits from 12.67 slots for $10,717 per slot for the later, and the later also allows you to free up a project slot for something else.

Obviously a simplified example since you can't have that many aluminum refineries/bauxite mines in a single city so you'd have to consider what other improvements you'd use to justify your recycling centre.

I think what he's saying is that you have to compare the profitable of, say, 3.5 aluminum refineries and 1 recycling centre vs 11.67 bauxite mines and 1 recycling centre.

Based on resource prices from a couple days ago and 2000 infra/city, you get $38,973 in profits from 4.5 slots for $8,661 profits per slot for the former vs $135,782 in profits from 12.67 slots for $10,717 per slot for the later, and the later also allows you to free up a project slot for something else.

Obviously a simplified example since you can't have that many aluminum refineries/bauxite mines in a single city so you'd have to consider what other improvements you'd use to justify your recycling centre.

While that's true, recycling centers always provide a great improvement in per slot terms when you have high pollution. So I think one should simply focus on the change in overall city profits as a result of building the new structure, while taking into account the new pollution generated by the building. It should give the correct profit per slot. Whether it enables another high-return recycling center to be built is another story. So I think the confusion stems from his thought that I am not taking pollution into account when I say ranking buildings in terms of profitability.

Edited by Kemal Ergenekon
77oKn5K.png

i have 13 cities at 3k infra, got nuked a few times this war but at the rate that i am rebuilding it wont take me months to rebuild my five cities that were nuked back up to 3k infra, those five are currently at 2k infra and i am capable of getting them back to 3k infra before the middle of the month and from their get a few more cities along with 3k infra for those cities before the next war. Plus i know how to fight a war so that reduces the amount of infra that i lose during a conventional war unless some poor sap has to rely on nukes to damage me. So if i am doing something wrong then almighty kemal please god me into the right direction but if you tell me to praise dio then i swear to god that i will cover your lands with snow.

Depends. I fight a lot in wars, and usually against big nations that typically have nukes. This war I took 19 nukes in my 17 cities, last war was 11 nukes in 15 cities, previous war was 13 nukes in 13 cities. Plus a few missiles getting past my iron dome and a few nations naval striking me with 200+ ships a few times before I bomb their navy and each of the last 3 wars I had all of my cities ground down to 1000 infra or less. So for my playing style, I assume that I'll lose all my infra every 3 months or so, so going over 2000 infra/city definitely doesn't make sense. The optimum level is around 1700-1900 infra depending how fast I can rebuild.

Yes, that sounds about right. You included the worst two buildings for 1900->2000, right?

iirc this would be the best upgrade from 1900->2000 with that build. Maybe there's a more efficient one but that one is probably amongst the best with the current market prices and no projects.

While that's true, recycling centers always provide a great improvement in per slot terms when you have high pollution. So I think one should simply focus on the change in overall city profits as a result of building the new structure, while taking into account the new pollution generated by the building. It should give the correct profit per slot. Whether it enables another high-return recycling center to be built is another story. So I think the confusion stems from his thought that I am not taking pollution into account when I say ranking buildings in terms of profitability.

I'm not questioning whether you should get recycling centres once you do have pollution, but you should still take into account the cost of recycling centres which is $2500 in upkeep + opportunity cost of not having the improvement slot for something else.

Another comparison - this time I updated the resource prices using average transaction price.

Based off that, assuming you have all the projects, the most profitable ones will be steel, then gas, then munitions. So if you have 3 steel mills, 3 oil refineries, and 2 munitions factories, that's 140 pollution requiring 2 recycling centres. Those 10 improvements will boost your income by $7,703 per slot for 1700 infra and 2000 land.

Compare to going raw, if you're in Australia like me, the best ones are bauxite, then lead. Food is ahead of coal, even without the project and with only 2000 land. If you have 3 bauxite mines, 5 lead mines, 8 farms and 2 coal mines, that generates 68 pollution requiring 1 recycling centre. Those 19 improvements will boost your income by $7,721 per slot.

And again, that's without any projects and only 2000 land per city, and in a continent that doesn't have uranium vs 3 projects. Once my nation's infra is more rebuilt, I'm definitely considering moving to Africa and going for the uranium-bauxite-food build.

Edited by Memph