Power Question.

BlackAsLight

I have a question about how the Power in a city works and I am guessing this is the right place to ask.

If someone has 700 Infra and for some weird reason they also have a Coal Power Plant and a Nuclear Power Plant in that same city. Would Both Coal Power Plant and Nuclear Power Plant consume resources to power the city or would only the Nuclear Power Plant consume resources?

I'm not sure to be honest......I guess my question to you would be, why do they have a Nuclear and Coal power plant in a city with just 700 Infra?  I wouldn't buy a nuclear one until I was over 1000 Infra at least.  Since the person seems to have already bought the Nuclear one (since 1 is good up to 2000 Infra), I'd say, dump the coal one and open a slot for something else.  Unless they can't afford the upkeep with the nuclear and the uranium mine and they don't plan on increasing the Infra in that city anytime soon, then drop the nuclear and buy another coal plant.  Doesn't make sense to have mixed power plant types until you go over 2000 Infra in a city.  Just my take on it.  

Edited by Sailor Jerry

X4EfkAB.png

I don't really want to invest resources to fully test this out but.

Nuclear applies first to 2000 and then oil applies to 2500. It may be decided based on the order you build power. Or it may be decided on which one applies to the most infra. It wasn't consuming oil for me at 1100 infra though.

Edited by Hooves

I'm not sure to be honest......I guess my question to you would be, why do they have a Nuclear and Coal power plant in a city with just 700 Infra?  I wouldn't buy a nuclear one until I was over 1000 Infra at least.  Since the person seems to have already bought the Nuclear one (since 1 is good up to 2000 Infra), I'd say, dump the coal one and open a slot for something else.  Unless they can't afford the upkeep with the nuclear and the uranium mine and they don't plan on increasing the Infra in that city anytime soon, then drop the nuclear and buy another coal plant.  Doesn't make sense to have mixed power plant types until you go over 2000 Infra in a city.  Just my take on it.  

I know it would be stupid to have a mix at that level of Infra like that, but I was just wondering how the game would think in a situation like that was to ever happen.

I don't really want to invest resources to fully test this out but.

Nuclear applies first to 2000 and then oil applies to 2500. It may be decided based on the order you build power. Or it may be decided on which one applies to the most infra. It wasn't consuming oil for me at 1100 infra though.

I did assume that it would prioritising Nuclear Power over Coal / Oil as it can power more Infra, but then what would happen if someone had 700 Infra and a Coal and Oil Power Plant. Which one would powering the first 500 Infra and which one would end up powering the remaining 200 Infra.

The test server hands out a bunch of money to every new player - you can make a new account with a made-up email and it will give you a password to log in with immediately. http://test.politicsandwar.com/

So you're saaaaaayinnnnnnnnng what...........exactly?

X4EfkAB.png

The game powers your cities using power plants in the order Wind -> Nuclear -> Oil -> Coal. This means that it will power as much of your city as it can with wind power (i.e. 250 infra per plant). If that doesn't cover all of your infra, it will power the remainder with nuclear power (i.e. 2000 infra per plant). If that still doesn't cover all of your infra, then the game will try using oil (500 infra per plant), then coal (500 infra per plant). The game will never consume more resources than what it needs to power your exact amount of infra. And if you can't supply enough power to your city then it won't consume any resources at all.

A few use cases:

700 infra, 1 nuclear, 1 coal: Nuclear (2000 per) covers 0-700 infra, so you only use the nuclear plant, and only consume 700 infra's worth of uranium

1000 infra, 1 wind, 1 oil, 1 coal: Wind (250 per) covers 0-250 infra, oil (500 per) covers 250-750 infra, coal (500 per) covers 750-1000 infra. You consume 500 infra's worth of oil and 250 infra's worth of coal, because you don't consume more than you need and wind covers the other 250 infra.

1500 infra, 1 wind, 1 oil, 1 coal: Wind (250 per) covers 0-250 infra, oil (500 per) covers 250-750 infra, coal (500 per) covers 750-1250 infra. This doesn't fully power your city, so you consume no resources.

• Upvote 3
RollSheepy.png

The game powers your cities using power plants in the order Wind -> Nuclear -> Oil -> Coal. This means that it will power as much of your city as it can with wind power (i.e. 250 infra per plant). If that doesn't cover all of your infra, it will power the remainder with nuclear power (i.e. 2000 infra per plant). If that still doesn't cover all of your infra, then the game will try using oil (500 infra per plant), then coal (500 infra per plant). The game will never consume more resources than what it needs to power your exact amount of infra. And if you can't supply enough power to your city then it won't consume any resources at all.

A few use cases:

700 infra, 1 nuclear, 1 coal: Nuclear (2000 per) covers 0-700 infra, so you only use the nuclear plant, and only consume 700 infra's worth of uranium

1000 infra, 1 wind, 1 oil, 1 coal: Wind (250 per) covers 0-250 infra, oil (500 per) covers 250-750 infra, coal (500 per) covers 750-1000 infra. You consume 500 infra's worth of oil and 250 infra's worth of coal, because you don't consume more than you need and wind covers the other 250 infra.

1500 infra, 1 wind, 1 oil, 1 coal: Wind (250 per) covers 0-250 infra, oil (500 per) covers 250-750 infra, coal (500 per) covers 750-1250 infra. This doesn't fully power your city, so you consume no resources.

This was the type of answer I was looking for. Thank you.