War Postmortem for Rose/UPN/NPO side

Ogaden

I would like to give a huge hand to Oblivion for how good they've been, they volunteered to help, they've been coordinating with us non stop through the whole war and they dealt a ridiculously disproportionate amount of damage early on, all from about 6 members. Those guys were always a great team in Rose and I'm actually very happy they took the plunge into making their own alliance, big potential there.

• Upvote 3

bw0643E.gif

Considering the fact that they've lost 4 consecutive war (I count 168 day too), you'd think ParaCovenant would step up their game no matter how small it is.

Also personally, Keegoz !@#$ed up by dragging Paragon into this war imo. They'd have been safer in the long run if they stay out of this.

So the reasons they're losing/lost are the same reasons why they lost before? 

No one surprised. 

• Upvote 1

PvczX3n.jpg?1

“ Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination. â€

–The First Ideal of the Windrunners,

Since noone who needs to do this will do this, I will do this for you:

What went right:

- BK was taken down heavily by UPN and NPO and at one point had less than 6000 planes.

What went wrong:

- The initial blitz by Rose was inadequate and ineffective.

- The staggered offensive where alliances came in days later to join an offensive were generally too late to do any good, effectively the OO side fought you one at a time.

- Not enough pressure was put on Mensa, allowing the heaviest hitter to operate at will. Mensa just moved from one front to another.

- Once UPN and NPO had taken down BK, they did not move on to other fronts that were struggling, but waited for those fronts to fail then were blitzed by the tS/OO fronts who DID shift to BK front. Once BK was neutralized you guys should have shifted to TKR and Mensa. Instead you waited around and eventually TKR and Mensa came to you.

- Fark/Alpha kept in reserve for 3 days while everyone was zeroed out, should have hit Mensa the same day Mensa came in.

- Poor coordination of nations on many fronts. Most nations basically fighting by themselves.

- No double-buys when alliances were relieved, for instance when Alpha and Fark hit Mensa, why didn't UPN and VE double-buy military? Why weren't those two events coordinated? UPN and VE defenders should have been ready to double-buy once their attacker was countered.

- Reliance on nukes to make up for the failings above largely exacerbated them, beige shield.

Very much agree

• Upvote 2

Jl0McAJ.gif

Mans two modes of existence can be thought of as his light and dark side. He is either the Protector or the Ravager. The Immovable Object or the Unstoppable Force.

Usually we just say "you guys suck" rather than explaining it in detail. But even if you could figure some of the shit out that Ogaden listed, it wouldn't solve your problem because you can't actually war even on an individual level. 

-SK attacked Syndicate and still somehow lost out against an all plane/no ground strategy.

Like someone stated earlier, the biggest issue was activity.  Second issue was the coordination.  Both of these, SyndiOOsphere definitely has the advantage in.  This is something Paracov needs to thinktank on if they plan on doing better in the future.  Rebuild relationships, put in active leaders, make sure all the players feel involved, etc.

To be fair to the syndicate here though, the all planes is actually a pretty legit strategy, for reasons outlined elsewhere by Jessica Rabbit. It could be that if we had managed to hit first, and had enough time before they came online to get a ground battle and 2 air fights in, that we could undo it. But with them attacking us first, that hope is pretty much out the window. They took pretty substantial damage in the first few days due to it (especially compared to the $ of the damage they dealt), but it guaranteed military supremacy over the course of the round and allowed them to easily reverse the damage trend later on.

As for the second point. I don't disagree but its a tough thing to work on. Leadership is one thing, but the activity levels in an alliance can be pretty tough to alter. If you don't have a strong culture of requiring high activity levels, to a certain extent you are going to have a chunk of, not dead weight per se, but less responsive people. Nothing against them per se, its a game and if you prefer to play it more laxly by checking your nation once every day days or something, so be it. But it carries a detriment in war in being able to rapidly come online, and in how willing people are to schedule time to fight on a Saturday night (I was caught at a cookout and spent 15 minutes hiding in the corner furiously tapping away at my phone :P ). You can try to encourage it, but if they are fundamentally here to play more casually its unlikely to increase. You can kick them and send them elsewhere, but you risk hemorrhaging a decent amount of score and nations. Could be worth it, but likely a hard decision to pull the trigger on nonetheless.

I think what they should really consider, if they are having these issues (I haven't paid much attention to the intricacies of these alliances so I don't really know whats going on, even on a superficial level), is organizing their active members into squads. If half of your alliance is active every day, and the other half only login a few times a week, you don't want those people getting paired with each other in targets lists. Putting your active members with each other and ensuring they can cooperate on the same targets will maximize what you get out of it, and is probably the best way to deal with being a mixed alliance when it comes to activity. Because less active (but still not inactive) players do have their role and I can understand the value mass recruiting AAs place in them. Just don't want to have to rely on them for the innitial blitz.

Edited by Mikey
  • Upvote 2

Archduke Tyrell, Lord of Highgarden, Lord Paramount of the Reach, Warden of the South, Breaker of Forums.

Hey deleting tanks can be an effective way to preserve steel if you've lost air control anyways

Exactly.  I did that once Alpha folks finally managed to get a Immense Air control on me.  Deleted my tanks/ships, and when relief came in, I immediately double built back up ( Which was the next day's reset ).

• Downvote 1

One of Rose's biggest blunders is planning for a war so close to another war they have on their dance card.

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20161007T1950&p0=4878&msg=Rose+Declaration+of+War&font=sanserif&csz=1

Don't think I forgot. 

• Upvote 6

scSqPGJ.gif

One of Rose's biggest blunders is planning for a war so close to another war they have on their dance card.

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20161007T1950&p0=4878&msg=Rose+Declaration+of+War&font=sanserif&csz=1

Don't think I forgot. 

That's beautiful. Honestly though lack of planning was a huge issue imo.

• Upvote 1

Archduke Tyrell, Lord of Highgarden, Lord Paramount of the Reach, Warden of the South, Breaker of Forums.

Honestly though, ParaCov is pretty much dead at this point.

Rose is at 9th, VE 12th, NPO 16th, SK 19th, UPN 20th, the rest got blitz so hard they're below the top 20

with members jumping ship one by one to boot.

I hope they die, and then OO and tS break up and we can have a real war, with good figthers on both sides....

Ole2.png

A lot of the criticism about what we should've done seems pretty accurate to me. (tho in some of those things, it may be easier said than done)

About NPO switching fronts tho, we really didn't have much opportunity. BoC, Resplendent, OWR all countering us did keep our military chipped down and kept us busy. tS & and some Syndisphere alliances never lost much air. If we engaged them I'm pretty sure we just would've been mowed down at that point. By the time we got in a position to recover max air, regroup and move to another front, those fronts were really already lost and more counters came in on us.

I have wondered if we should've focused on beiging BK to get them out of the way and move to other fronts. Maybe we should've done that but in the end I doubt it would've changed much. Our planes still would've been smashed and BK would rebuy and gone on the offense. Still would've lost our standing armies and ended up where we are now, fighting a guerrilla war.

FirstDraft-v2_zps55ce6098.png