Unveiling the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

LordRahl2

Building your entire strategy for war around nuclear weapons is not only flawed but also foolish. As far as I'm concerned, this league is doing every nation with nuclear weapons a favor by encouraging them to not be stupid.

• Upvote 4

orwell_s_1984_oceania_s_currency_by_dungsc127_d97k1zt-fullview.jpg.9994c8f495b96849443aa0defa8730be.jpg

Out of curiosity, I ran a quick check and there are only around 50 nations that are currently over the limit. Guess that's because everyone has used up most of their nukes ;)

Terminus Est - 9
Nuclear Knights - 6
Valyria - 5
World Task Force - 5
Seven Kingdoms - 4
New Pacific Order - 3
Rose - 3
The Knights Radiant - 3
Alpha - 2
Pantheon - 2
The Fighting Pacifists - 2
Cornerstone - 1
Green Protection Agency - 1
Guardian - 1
Order of Storms - 1
StarWars - 1
  • Upvote 2

sig_cybernations.PNG.8d49a01423f488a0f1b846927f5acc7e.PNG

Basically the "hegemoney" , is trying to impose they own kind of dictatorship?

By wanting others to play by they rules?

Sounds great! ;)

Ah, the feeling of deja vu! Good thing is not NPO, or would be (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) all over again! :P

Edited by MIB.HG
  • Upvote 1

This disgusts me, almost to my core.

What you propose is Alliance-wide insurgency. To take orders and support from a group that supercedes the bonds of your own alliance, not bound by treaties or other legitimizing contracts.

Today, you move to limit the impact of nuclear weapons throughout Orbis. Tonight, will you call to harass our alliance leaders, our neighbors and friends? Tomorrow, will we see the dissolution of all we hold dear, as our alliances are called to tear themselves asunder?

Where do we draw the line? Who has the authority to designate targets? When the inevitable conflict of interest happens between orders from Alliance command and this shadowy institution, which do we obey?

Those willing to call themselves members of this leprous league are nothing more than traitors, to their alliances and to Orbis herself, and must be promptly dealt with as such.

• Upvote 4

duZjuvT.png?3

Let me start by saying i call bull#@%$ on the reason for the forming of this League, wank circle or whatever you want to call it.

War affects every nation, no matter how it's fought. From conventional warfare to nuclear- all nations get affected with rises in all goods trade prices. From steel to even yes food. Yet i hear it's affecting smaller nations, blah blah blah.

If this your problem than you should start a league to turn everyone neutral, stop all wars- won't anyone think of the children.

The fact these nation’s hide in the dark shows exactly who they are cowards, otherwise form your own alliance stand up for your beliefs and the orbis. You won’t, it's fine but please declare  that your large nations with large infrastructure and own agendas who only want to farm and have been trying to nerf nukes due to the amount of damage they cause to your precious pixels.

I am sorry Alex i love the game but hate the mechanics at the moment. This radiation effect seems to round-a-bout way of trying to nerf nukes without actually applying anything in game.

If you want to nerf nukes fine, go ahead but fix the rest of the war mechanics beforehand. At present the current war system only benefits larger member alliances/ bocs.

People will argue this point, but seriously guys pull your heads out of your backsides and understand if not apart of a top 10 alliance or large boc, war is just a lost cause as the game current stands.

if not apart of a top 10 alliance or large boc, war is just a lost cause as the game current stands.

Rose is a top 10 alliance and war is a lost cause for them ;)

War affects every nation, no matter how it's fought. From conventional warfare to nuclear- all nations get affected with rises in all goods trade prices. From steel to even yes food. Yet i hear it's affecting smaller nations, blah blah blah.

Most nations need only two things, food and power. The rest of the resources don't matter and they can ride out a spike in trade prices, during a war (if they're patient).

Smaller nations will typically not have large stockpiles of food, as the common tactic starting out (until now), is to have farms to cover your food requirements. If they're not in an alliance, or it's a small alliance just starting out, they're screwed. Larger nations (well the sensible ones) will have stockpiles to last them weeks, if not months. Or they'll have the income they can spend on overinflated prices for food.

This radiation effect seems to round-a-bout way of trying to nerf nukes without actually applying anything in game.

You're just pissed because your entire war strategy is low stockpiles and nuke everything. Learn to live with the consequences.
  • Upvote 2

sig_cybernations.PNG.8d49a01423f488a0f1b846927f5acc7e.PNG

This disgusts me, almost to my core.

What you propose is Alliance-wide insurgency. To take orders and support from a group that supercedes the bonds of your own alliance, not bound by treaties or other legitimizing contracts.

Today, you move to limit the impact of nuclear weapons throughout Orbis. Tonight, will you call to harass our alliance leaders, our neighbors and friends? Tomorrow, will we see the dissolution of all we hold dear, as our alliances are called to tear themselves asunder?

Where do we draw the line? Who has the authority to designate targets? When the inevitable conflict of interest happens between orders from Alliance command and this shadowy institution, which do we obey?

Those willing to call themselves members of this leprous league are nothing more than traitors, to their alliances and to Orbis herself, and must be promptly dealt with as such.

It seemed pretty clear. "The league operates to keep nukes at a reasonable level.  Specifically at 1/2 of city count max nukes (rounded down).  It needs to be tied to some scaling metric - city count is the most logical." That was the line drawn.

And I'm sorry to say to your "Those willing to call themselves members of this leprous league are nothing more than traitors, to their alliances and to Orbis herself, and must be promptly dealt with as such."   Welcome to Politics and War, where the point of the game is that there isn't one aside from doing what is in your best interest.. And Guess what? Nukes are screwing everyone, and holy crap! Limiting Nukes is in everyones (who haven't stocked food like a gluttonous !@#$) interest, and Labes forbid someone actually try to do something about the nuke happy fappers who live in this game.

d0r0WcS.gif

Nope.  There ARE, in fact, MENSA players for sure - I am one.  But MENSA does not actually have the largest membership by %.

Kastor, would you like to join?  Your alliance leader blocks PMs from me.

It's removed. Sorry about that.

You know, what would be more interesting is if the radiation effects were long term, like 3 months long, then you would have people actually start conflicts over a dwindling supply of food. Like water in Mad Max but with food. 

The mechanics would have to tweaked to make sure new players aren't SOL from day 1, but it would actually give something for people to fight over other than butthurt and power. 

The Coalition Discord: https://discord.gg/WBzNRGK

Someone is butthurt that they did not launch a similar idea first.  Not sure who that is though!

This is not a "MENSA" thing.  Sorry to burst your oh so pristine neutral bubble.

Regardless Pre please join.  Everything about the league should appeal to a non-hypocrite Prefontaine .

Thought of it well prior to this, realized it was a bad idea even with a small group, let alone a multi-spanning-alliance group. Think I even said as much on IRC/Discord.

It is a Mensa thing, because Mensa will defend (or protect depending on how you view it) you when you get caught spying over this. 

I've no interest in joining outside of being able to see shit crumble from behind the curtain. That and perhaps to leak the member list to those whom are already taking action against you.

The only thing I'm butthurt about is the lack of effort in trying to troll-post before the invite. Trying to call me a neutral? That's the lowest form of bait. 

scSqPGJ.gif

The Johnstonia Intelligence Agency pledges aid to the League. The carelessness of these nations has shown us the outcome of the nuclear proliferation. It is our duty to prevent what these nations refuse to stop doing on their own, whether due to incompetence or malice.

☾☆

Priest of Dio

º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¸ GOD EMPEROR DIO BRANDO¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¸ DIO BRANDO GOD EMPEROR¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

I may be mistaken on who was championing this cause, if it was Mensa, your allies, or someone else.. But I did think it was you guys early on in your days in PnW. Weren't you guys against the whole "making people play a certain way", mentality? Yet, here you are imposing self created guidelines on an aspect of the game? 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was you guys. 

I certainly don't remember that.  We were more upset about Sheepy putting in changes once we developed counters (ex. Ashland spy attacks -> we built more spies -> spy change, various military changes, etc ).

Go figure that a Mensa member is developing a counter to this stupid change too!

• Downvote 1

Anyone crying over nukes is already a confirmed moron for having nukes to begin with...because nukes are for losers. Git gud at war and you never need them.

• Upvote 4

☾☆ Chairman Emeritus of Mensa HQ ☾☆

"It's not about the actual fish, themselves. Fish are not important in this context. It's about fish-ing, the act of fishing itself." -Jack O'Neill

iMZejv3.gif

Basically the "hegemoney" , is trying to impose they own kind of dictatorship?

By wanting others to play by they rules?

Sounds great! ;)

Ah, the feeling of deja vu! Good thing is not NPO, or would be (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) all over again! :P

The "hegemoney" has nothing to do with this.  This is entirely LordRahl's idea and his pet project.

• Downvote 1

I certainly don't remember that.  We were more upset about Sheepy putting in changes once we developed counters (ex. Ashland spy attacks -> we built more spies -> spy change, various military changes, etc ).

Go figure that a Mensa member is developing a counter to this stupid change too!

No, I definitely remember this. A lot of guys were upset with your raiding which used to be very aggressive. Your lack kf FA and CBs. You said you can't predetermine an alliance's play style and were big on that.

IMG_2989.png?ex=65e9efa9&is=65d77aa9&hm=

No, I definitely remember this. A lot of guys were upset with your raiding which used to be very aggressive. Your lack kf FA and CBs. You said you can't predetermine an alliance's play style and were big on that.

Ah, I see.  The fact we didn't care about how people played early on.  That was true.  That was also over a year ago too.  I believe we're still mostly like that, but over time we're just bitter over Sheepy's "timely" additions to the game.  The fact he stated that he's not removing/changing the addition, and is wanting to force us to politic ourselves out of this mess, well - at least someone is taking initiative to do something in regards to it.

"THERE'S A WAR STARTING?  BETTER PUT THESE THINGS IN!"

In all honesty, if it wasn't for the Radiation killing food production, and how quickly it went to 100% - I doubt he would care.  I mean, our alliance didn't care about nukes before because lol@nuke users messing up counters by putting people in beige and thinking their Infra damage does something~

Personally, the fact that LordRahl opened up to the community with this idea to include people in it is surprising.  I wouldn't have gone public, and just talked to my fellow alliances in the "Hegemoney" to spy away nukes/spies, even in peace time, while leaving our alliances alone.  That's just me though.  By going public and announcing that this league will even work against Mensa's friends if need-be, he's trying to be open about it and addressing the big issue of the game now. Since the change, I've seen random new players pop up in the PnW IRC channel asking what is wrong with Farms or what's with the Food Production being 0%.

The threat of war doesn't phase me at all.  Especially from alliances that got rekt by "only planes" or refuse to double build when relief comes to them.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, this is pretty much a Mensa member playing the whole "can't predetermine" a play style card.

Does it work against another play style? Of course. You can't sneeze in this place without causing a conflict.

One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

So, I personally don't like this formation.  Mostly because I think it's unneeded.  Nuke radiation clears within 8 days and during "peace" times, it's my guess that only a handful of nukes are detonated each day.  Will there always be some background radiation mutating our poor innocent civilians?  Probably.  Do we need people to go in and impose what they think is an appropriate number of nukes on everyone? Absolutely not.

I keep seeing people say that using nukes is the loser's option during a war.  They're right.  But ya know what? Who cares? There's nothing shittier than sitting there helpless and getting curb stomped for 1-2 weeks and being able to do absolutely nothing about it.  Nukes at least allow you to fight back in a some way.  It also allows the losers of a conventional conflict to not fall too far behind in the military aspect of the game.  The only people this group would be helping would be the winners of a conventional war.

I also would disagree with the quantity of nukes.  Generally you know pretty quickly on whether or not you're going to lose a conflict.  Most people who hang onto dozens of nukes don't launch them every day.  They only use them in times of alliance wide warfare.  That means if you enter a conflict either knowing you're likely to be murdered left and right or that you may lose, it may be good to have some nukes stockpiled.  If you get into say, 4 wars (one offensive 3 defensive), that means you need 4 nukes a day for 3-10 days (corresponding to about 2 rounds of warfare) in order to make your MAPs useful. You also need probably 3 per day after the first couple of days just due to spy losses.  Suddenly having 40-50 nukes on hand doesn't seem so unreasonable from a deterrence perspective.

I think the concept is interesting, but I personally don't like the idea of some group putting an artificially low cap on the number of nukes due to them not liking a new game mechanic.  Or at least as low of a cap as they've suggested.  1/2 city count is pretty insane in my personal opinion.  If this was imposed on me, best case, I'd get 1-2 launches in before needing to not log in for a week or two while my nation burns around me.  But hey, if people want to experiment, I'm happy to observe.

• Upvote 1

That's 8 days per individual nuke.

You know what else is shitty?  New players not able to do anything about food if they happen to join up during a war~

I think we can all agree that the change Sheepy put in is pretty shit, so we're stuck here discussing on what to do now.  Do we care about new players?  Do we care about the players who center their whole playstyle around nukes?  etc.

• Downvote 1

There is a more simple way to solve this problem....

Just don't dog pile on Alpha. We didn't use nukes on Mensa until we got dog piled on by tS and all her little micros. 

Purely from a logistics point-of-view (not to mention the monetary needs), it is a difficult, if not impossible task. What you are proposing is a group of (what I assume are mostly Mensa) nations independently police world nuclear stockpiles out of their own pockets and aside from political interest with a paternalistic and a greater utilitarian goal. I would argue there is no such thing in our side of the world. 

Take the Arrgh NS scandal. Sure, we could have all pitched in to break up the NS abusing nations, but no coalition formed, even though by their very definition of their existence require to prey off of newer nations. Keeping in mind that Arrgh wasn't the only alliance abusing the NS system. Instead, Arrgh was used as a political tool to harass lower tiers of opposing nations in backroom deals. At no point was there even a consideration for an assembled coalition that was not along power bloc lines to break up Arrgh's stranglehold on the mid tier "for the noobs and the greater good." If memory serves, the only way it was fixed was through "divine intervention."

If there are nations which would independently vest their interests into the preservation of "global nuclear order," there are not a lot of them. Certainly not enough to act as an effective policing order on an increasingly larger nuclear-proliferated populace. 

It's a useful mental exercise. Through the years, many thinkers have been fascinated by it. But I don't enjoy playing. It was a game that was born during a brutal age when life counted for little. Everyone believed that some people were worth more than others. Kings. Pawns. I don't think that anyone is worth more than anyone else. Chess is just a game. Real people are not pieces. You can't assign more value to some of them and not others. Not to me. Not to anyone. People are not a thing that you can sacrifice. The lesson is, if anyone who looks on to the world as if it was a game of chess, deserves to lose.

What you are proposing is a group of (what I assume are mostly Mensa)

He's already confirmed that the majority is not Mensa.

There ARE, in fact, MENSA players for sure - I am one.  But MENSA does not actually have the largest membership by %.

• Downvote 1

Take the Arrgh NS scandal. Sure, we could have all pitched in to break up the NS abusing nations, but no coalition formed, even though by their very definition of their existence require to prey off of newer nations. Keeping in mind that Arrgh wasn't the only alliance abusing the NS system. Instead, Arrgh was used as a political tool to harass lower tiers of opposing nations in backroom deals. At no point was there even a consideration for an assembled coalition that was not along power bloc lines to break up Arrgh's stranglehold on the mid tier "for the noobs and the greater good." If memory serves, the only way it was fixed was through "divine intervention."

In NS matter, divine intervention was possible because sheepy was willing to fix it. This time sheepy made a post in changelog specifically saying the players should deal with it through politics and he is not going to reverse the changes he made.

Do you believe, without a grain of salt, everything you read on the internet? 

In NS matter, divine intervention was possible because sheepy was willing to fix it. This time sheepy made a post in changelog specifically saying the players should deal with it through politics and he is not going to reverse the changes he made.

I'm keeping my nose out of the whole "SHEEPY YOU !@#$ing !@#$" clown-town, !@#$-the-world shitshow, I'm just pointing out at a historical precedent which demonstrates the feasibility (or lack thereof) of this idea.  

It's a useful mental exercise. Through the years, many thinkers have been fascinated by it. But I don't enjoy playing. It was a game that was born during a brutal age when life counted for little. Everyone believed that some people were worth more than others. Kings. Pawns. I don't think that anyone is worth more than anyone else. Chess is just a game. Real people are not pieces. You can't assign more value to some of them and not others. Not to me. Not to anyone. People are not a thing that you can sacrifice. The lesson is, if anyone who looks on to the world as if it was a game of chess, deserves to lose.

Okay so the majority of the members aren't from Mensa but there's a decent amount of government members from Mensa participating in it. Got it.

edit: clarification

Edited by Cypher