Sheepy's hypocrisy

Kastor

This is a good, fun change.

It's not the end of the world if you run out of food, your income is reduced in half by 33%, that's it.  It affects all players so while you are loosing out, other players likely will be loosing out too.  Everyone will face the challenge of having enough food during war.  More people will focus on food in peace time to stockpile it.

As for the idea that it is hurting younger players more... a larger percentage of their income is based on the value of the resources they produce because they don't have commerce to boost income.  So this actually hurts big players more, because they stand to loose a larger percentage of their overall money+resources income.

EDIT: Realized it was 33% gross reduction, not 50% reduction.

Edited by Azaghul
  • Upvote 3
GnWq7CW.png

As a new player (still in beige mode), this all seems fine to me. My country's too small to effectively produce food, so I can fill those infra slots with other (non-military) things that help turn a profit. None of the stuff I'm producing and selling is cheaper than food on the market, so it's all good.

• Upvote 4

I like the change. It adds another layer of complexity- but I mean that in a good way.

Complexity in what fashion though?

Cause it seems that the only goal of Alex was to make us think about limiting nukes between ourselves.... But under the assumption that we would actually do that :I

He needs to take a walk through the now Fallout 4: PnW style world we live in, and see that it is full of petty children with their fingers on nukes..... Sounds like the plot of a synth...

8f869b83e810e721332adbb34fc2280f729aa80c

d0r0WcS.gif

Personally I have the nation with the largest land in Orbis so I "produced" (past tense), one of the highest amounts of food in the game.

I dont mind the update at all but I think -100% food production is crazy, IMO it should be something like -80% should be the cap and after that for the radiation to cause a certain amount of pollution to the countries on that continent (obviously dont go to extremes with this if you like the idea).

Having 0% food production when you were just producing thousands is a big change, and renders land a lot more useless than it already is. 

eastwood.jpg

I reckon there should be a new improvement dedicated to food production in cases on mass nuclear fallout. E.g. Hydroponic bays. It would be more expensive to produce but would not be affected by radiation.

You read my mind I'm working on the suggestion

I think this makes thing more inresting. However can I recommend a few things:

Perhaps a Hydroponics upgrade - guarantees your nation say 50 food a day and makes sure you don't fall below -75% production? IDK about the specifics, so please don't be a jerk if these numbers are way too high / too low.

Also maybe make radiation slightly more continent specific. Why should say Africa get punished if North America is going nutty on the nukes?

This does make the game more difficult for newbs, so this could make joining an alliance / learning the ropes and growing big even more important, otherwise you will fail. Could be a intresting addition, certainly makes the learning curve steeper. Also increases the price of food = good for food producers, altho IDK if there are any left anymore.

Just my two cents. Please ignore this now. XD

Proud Canadian, Proud Ontarian

OZFC3Z0.jpg

Anyone else thinking what I am thinking?

New Project: In the case of nuclear war, the max cap that your land would be irradiated is set at -75%??

I don't even know.

EDIT: Ignore this, I didn't read most of the comments XD

Edited by Landontom

To be honest, I would prefer to see it be a change. Such as 1/((radiation / 300)+1), this will result in 150 rads equaling -33% food reduction, 300 rads equaling -50%, 600 rads equaling -66%, 900 rads equaling -75%. It will give the same effect without hitting the absolute -100%. North America would end up being -87.08% right now, which would be unprofitable but not impossible to produce food.

• Upvote 1

To be honest, I would prefer to see it be a change. Such as 1/((radiation / 300)+1), this will result in 150 rads equaling -33% food reduction, 300 rads equaling -50%, 600 rads equaling -66%, 900 rads equaling -75%. It will give the same effect without hitting the absolute -100%. North America would end up being -87.08% right now, which would be unprofitable but not impossible to produce food.

I'm actually down with a slight reduction as it would be interesting to see it overlapped with seasonal food production changes.

• Upvote 1

I like the change myself, it's a good one. People will either have to stockpile large amounts of food or issue alliance wide no nuking policies, or strike a balance. 

But Kastor's point is very valid on the hypocrisy, Sheepy was very willing to listen to people complaining back in Arrgh score issue instead of sticking to his guns there because really, it was something that could've been countered. 

• Upvote 2

Sheepy I think the change wasn't where you went wrong. It really looks to me like you're now viewing the change as more of an event than a feature. This should have been how you introduced it. Make a big post, an event happened, nukes now cause radiation, how will the nations of orbis work together to combat the issue? You'd have had !@#$ all complaints then. Think about things a little bit more and you will have a happier user base

• Upvote 2
T7Vrilp.png

Sheepy, you don't seem to get it. There are people in this game who's lone objective is to screw everyone else. The internet is full of trolls and this is a game. They don't care what you do or say. They don't give a damn. I'm sorry Sheepy but I'm done. The community is toxic, you've allowed it to spin out of control and then when people actually want you to change an asinine system you tell them to get over it. As someone who's been here since day one, you've made spies almost useless, Combat is still unbalanced, now you are punishing those who DON'T have nukes to deal with the radiation that's hitting our food. I have a ton of farms, I'm still 200 in the negative in food production. Again this effects everyone including new players who are walking into the game with a massive deficit in food production. They can't afford to buy food just to maintain themselves. You clearly are in the wrong here. And when the majority of players are demanding a change in a system. You !@#$ do it. This is a game, you are the developer. We drive your game. Without us there is no game, and as someone who has spent money on this game, as someone who played in the beta and has been here through everything, it feels like a slap in the face. This complaint is so wide spread you had to make a !@#$ announcement about it. Now is not the time to be stubborn, you can't throw a major mechanic out and not tell anyone about it. That's just wrong. Imagine if a major game studio made an update without giving update notes prior to it's release and it changed the entire approach to the game. That's what you have done. And forgive me for cussing, but you're a grown man I'm going to talk to you like one. You need to fix this. I for one will not shut up about it. You don't seem to understand how your community acts and you making this nuclear system will not deter people from using nukes. And making treaties to not use nukes? Why have them or this mechanic available? Because even if some nations/alliances make anti-nuclear treaties others will freely use them. We have an alliance called the Nuclear Knights who's main goal in life is to nuke people. You can't make something that effects everyone across the board and then demand we talk amongst each other to fix the problem you caused. You seem to have underestimated how much people want to see the world burn. People will ignore treaties, people will stockpile nukes and go on a rampage. Why do I believe this? Because we've seen it happen! You are out of your mind Sheepy and I've tried to support you as much as I can in the past. Because I enjoyed your game. But I don't enjoy your game anymore. It's not fun anymore. People are too trigger happy. Defense is non-existent. And now you want me to worry about some dude who has nothing to do with me because he decided to drop an imaginary nuke on some nation I've never heard of? No. I refuse. I'm done. I see no reason to play this game anymore. I'm retired. I wish I could archive my nation, you know that retirement system people have been asking you to implement for almost a year now. But hey I'm not getting my custom currency, I'm not getting that hall of fame/retirement system. No I got something no one wants. If you remove the system or nerf it (Severely). I might play this game again but I have other games I can play. And as much as I like some of the people I've met here in this game, I'm not dealing with this. 

Edited by Livius Clades
  • Upvote 3

Fire is nice eh?

I produce a lot of food on the back of a lot of land investment. I love this change - here's why:

- No one will want to get into food production because it is VERY capital intensive...

- ...and this is not going to stop nukes at all.

- So the investment will be hard to swallow, with an almost guaranteed disruption that is completely out of your control.

I think a lot of players will just get used to lower GDPs, and us Food producers will enjoy the benefits of a strong market with very high entry barriers.

In short, this highly favors players who already have farms and infra, even if production will never reach pre-change levels. We own the market.

Are you originally from Earth, too?

Proud owner of Harry's goat. It's mine now.

I now own MinesomeMC's goat, too. It's starting to look like a herd.

Yep, it is a herd. Aldwulf has added his goat, too, and it ain't Irish.

Sheepy, I like the radiation, but I think some tweaks should be fun too:

1) Not having food should give more debuffs, like decrease money even more: -33% to -66% in gross income, or even increasing disease %.

2) New players are good for the game growth, so I think they should be less affected by nuclear radiation somehow. Maybe players with less land should be less affected by radiation index? That way, new players will have small food production because small land, and bigger nations with more land will have small food production too.

3) The food production's debuff for radiation index should be never -100% I think. Some math logarithm function for radiation index will quickly get around -80% debuff, but will be very hard/impossible to get to -100% debuff.

Sheepy, I like the radiation, but I think some tweaks should be fun too:

2) New players are good for the game growth, so I think they should be less affected by nuclear radiation somehow. Maybe players with less land should be less affected by radiation index? That way, new players will have small food production because small land, and bigger nations with more land will have small food production too

New players are hurt less by the 33% income starvation penalty.  More of their income is in the form of resources they can sell on the market than it is for larger players, who make more money per infra level because of commerce and the city age bonus.

Either more people will produce food in peace time to stockpile enough that prices are reasonable in wartime, or the price of food will reach a point where it is better to just eat the starvation penalty for small nations.

Sheepy, you don't seem to get it. There are people in this game who's lone objective is to screw everyone else. The internet is full of trolls and this is a game. They don't care what you do or say. They don't give a damn. I'm sorry Sheepy but I'm done. The community is toxic, you've allowed it to spin out of control and then when people actually want you to change an asinine system you tell them to get over it. As someone who's been here since day one, you've made spies almost useless, Combat is still unbalanced, now you are punishing those who DON'T have nukes to deal with the radiation that's hitting our food. I have a ton of farms, I'm still 200 in the negative in food production. Again this effects everyone including new players who are walking into the game with a massive deficit in food production. They can't afford to buy food just to maintain themselves. You clearly are in the wrong here. And when the majority of players are demanding a change in a system. You !@#$ do it. This is a game, you are the developer. We drive your game. Without us there is no game, and as someone who has spent money on this game, as someone who played in the beta and has been here through everything, it feels like a slap in the face. This complaint is so wide spread you had to make a !@#$ announcement about it. Now is not the time to be stubborn, you can't throw a major mechanic out and not tell anyone about it. That's just wrong. Imagine if a major game studio made an update without giving update notes prior to it's release and it changed the entire approach to the game. That's what you have done. And forgive me for cussing, but you're a grown man I'm going to talk to you like one. You need to fix this. I for one will not shut up about it. You don't seem to understand how your community acts and you making this nuclear system will not deter people from using nukes. And making treaties to not use nukes? Why have them or this mechanic available? Because even if some nations/alliances make anti-nuclear treaties others will freely use them. We have an alliance called the Nuclear Knights who's main goal in life is to nuke people. You can't make something that effects everyone across the board and then demand we talk amongst each other to fix the problem you caused. You seem to have underestimated how much people want to see the world burn. People will ignore treaties, people will stockpile nukes and go on a rampage. Why do I believe this? Because we've seen it happen! You are out of your mind Sheepy and I've tried to support you as much as I can in the past. Because I enjoyed your game. But I don't enjoy your game anymore. It's not fun anymore. People are too trigger happy. Defense is non-existent. And now you want me to worry about some dude who has nothing to do with me because he decided to drop an imaginary nuke on some nation I've never heard of? No. I refuse. I'm done. I see no reason to play this game anymore. I'm retired. I wish I could archive my nation, you know that retirement system people have been asking you to implement for almost a year now. But hey I'm not getting my custom currency, I'm not getting that hall of fame/retirement system. No I got something no one wants. If you remove the system or nerf it (Severely). I might play this game again but I have other games I can play. And as much as I like some of the people I've met here in this game, I'm not dealing with this. 

I think you're overestimating the impact this will have.  If you produce a lot of food, you will most likely earn more from selling food in peace time which will make up for not being able to produce it in war time.  A smart player will switch to producing something else when radiation is high.  That variability is fun and rewards activity and smart play.

The worst that happens is some people suffer a 33% income penalty some of the time.

I also think you're off base to claim to speak for the majority of players on this.

• Upvote 1
GnWq7CW.png

I think that the effects of radiation are not intense enough as it is. If you reach negative food, I think that your cities should have a scaling amount of income not being obtained. For instance, if you have a 100 deficit of food per day at 0 food, the amount of negative money should be like -40% or something and scale linearly so that if you have -10000 food per day at 0 food, you only produce 1% of your income you would normally obtain

I think that the effects of radiation are not intense enough as it is. If you reach negative food, I think that your cities should have a scaling amount of income not being obtained. For instance, if you have a 100 deficit of food per day at 0 food, the amount of negative money should be like -40% or something and scale linearly so that if you have -10000 food per day at 0 food, you only produce 1% of your income you would normally obtain

Hmm yes. Or how about, if you are at zero food, you have a ~ ten day timer to get enough food to feed your population before everyone dies, which resets if you get enough food. It could increase your disease rate by 10% per day.

Edited by Default
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if there is a project works- hydrotonic system which preserve the food production from contaminated continents....say +10% recovery from -100% food production..

however the revenue record said it is -125% (with -100% cap) which may indicate the system have no positive effect on food production recovery..

hello ALEX/Sheepy??? What do you think about this?