Realy? The middle of a war to finally update the nuke radiation?

Ayayay

Alex:

Please do not continue to message me about this issue, I will not help you. I will tell you what I have told you above - that this is your (collective) problem to address and solve. Partake in the "Politics" aspect of the game.

Orbis:

Global Nuclear Radiation Index 688.53

North America Radiation Index

Food Production: -100.00%

South America Radiation Index

Europe Radiation Index

Asia Radiation Index

Africa Radiation Index

Australia Radiation Index

Food Production: -96.07%

Lol at all the people dramatizing this event beyond proportion. Let's run some numbers:

This change lowers world food supply. The question is "by how much?" How much will the radiation last? Not longer than the war. How long do those last? Usually 2 weeks. How frequent are these wars? Every 2-3 months or so. Let's say 2.5 months so 10 weeks.

100% production for 8 weeks

0% production for 2 weeks

-> Global food production is lower by 20%

The pre-crisis food price was around 80-90. So in the long run, this will push the price higher by what? 20 dollars? Oh my Dio, what a crisis.

People right now are over-reacting because they were caught by surprise. This has driven the food price to 250-290 dollars or so. I remember when the food prices were hovering around 140, so the cost is just double that.

So how much does this change cost the average nation per day? I personally need 175 food or so per city for my nation. 175 * (290 - 90) * 15 = 525,000. This is not a huge bill for a nation my size. For the new players people are talking about, it should be a quarter of my figures, so 130,000 or so. Although it isn't negligible, it isn't crippling either. It is probably equivalent to a 7% alliance tax or sth.

And in the next war, people will be prepared like Mensa was. Our warchest requirements include having food for 20 days at a minimum, and 40 days is recommended. So our alliance was well positioned to survive a nuclear winter before there were nuclear winters, xdxd.

• Upvote 6
77oKn5K.png

The pre-crisis food price was around 80-90. So in the long run, this will push the price higher by what? 20 dollars? Oh my Dio, what a crisis.

The market isn't rational. People were willing to throw away food rather than sell it:

I have no problem with food/radiation changes. If we had been warned fully even 2 weeks ahead of time we would have missed all the fun of the new twist. In fact I fear this is so easy to adapt to that there will be no lasting rise in food prices....a shame as I am (er...was and will be) a leading producer. I capped out of food storage 999,999 some time ago because I wasn't selling at 80ppu. (Long ago sold peopleso don't attack me!) Besides folks...lots of things price spike in war. I sold a batch of food at 400ppu last war and I've only seen 280ppu during this "crisis". Pay a little extra now and mitigate it easily in the future. 

and it appears there is much more food in the world this war than last war.

I'm sure that you read the Changelog update, as well as the Radiation page which explains in detail how this all works, and so you know that launching a nuclear weapon would only decrease food production for your nation by 0.1% and 0.6% for your opponent (unless you're nuking a nation on the same continent as you, in which case your food production would be reduced by 0.6% as well.) And that's just for the first turn. By the next turn, that effect will only be 0.099%/0.594%. And it continues to decrease from there.

This is such a minor update that I judged it not relevant whether there was an ongoing war or not. Food is abundant and cheap.

EDIT: Plus, you've got a neat counter now that shows you how many nukes have been launched in the last 24 hours. That's not as fun when the world is at peace.

That's not realistic. To not be able to make Food, you'd need radiation levels of 1000R. Which would be, at a minimum, 167 Nuclear Weapons, all hitting the same continent, at the same time (as Radiation immediately starts dissipating) and that would at most last 8 and 1/3 days.

You may be unhappy with your lack of food production currently, but you all (the players) collectively have the means to end the madness, if you so choose. We're currently on the verge of a global crisis, as almost every continent is at 0 Food Production.

Any more predictions Alex? 

And as Vanek and others have said, we would prefer you not install major changes in the game during war because you have a tendency to break the game. This is something you have said you learned from in the past, so if you could keep it in mind in the future, that would be great. Maybe you didn't break it this time, but it isn't good practice. 

Edited by Avruch

Must be a farmer's dream...food has now reached about 320 per unit. That's kinda cool actually...

Edited by Eric

Proud Canadian, Proud Ontarian

OZFC3Z0.jpg

Eric..."farmer's dream"....how so? A farmer is producing absolutely nothing right now...earning no return on his investment of land, the slots, and probably a project. It is the dream of the prudent and the capitalist to buy or hold when something is cheap and sell when it is high. Something, I might add YOU can do without being a farmer.

Must be a farmer's dream...food has now reached about 320 per unit. That's kinda cool actually...

By that logic, farmers were having a great time during the Dust Bowl.

Farmers are the ones losing the most. They can't make any food and all their improvements, land, and project are going to waste. Since they (normally) produce their own food they probably don't have much stockpiled, so they have to buy food at 4x what they sold it for a few days earlier. I'm baffled that anyone would think this is good for farmers. This is better for people that bought and stockpiled tons of food.

New player here. I made my account about 4 days ago, and decided to sign up in here after reading this and other threads, just to give my (entirely irrelevant) two cents as a small nation (the ones that are being brought up as the biggest victims in this update) in the middle of this food-nuke crisis.

Does it suck to have 0% production because of a factor that is beyond my reach? Yes. Does it suck that I have to choose between paying a bill or letting my people starve just because the big boys launched nukes at each other and skyrocketed the radiation index that resulted in this food production crisis? Absolutely. I just want to lead France to it's former glory develop my country as peacefully as possible, although obviously I have to prepare for the prospect of war.

Either way, while I am obviously not happy with the current situation, it's not impossible to slog through it as a small country. I could have either complained and done nothing, or reformed to adapt to the current situation. The former would have amounted to nothing, so that option is out. As such, I was left with the latter. I eliminated both my farms in my 2nd city and replaced them with mining/industry infrastructure, as a way to pay for the food and develop my country further (I'm focused on completing objectives atm, so I've geared towards building tanks).

It's mostly a matter of adapting and just trying to make do with what you have until the situation improves. While far from ideal, it's not impossible for a tiny nation to survive. Maybe even prosper a tiny bit.

Perhaps Alex's timing (I didn't really like the reply he issued to those who asked him to change or remove the mechanics either, to be honest) on implementing this feature (which on itself is actually pretty interesting, as it should discourage the heavy use of nukes) was exceptionally poor (although arguably intentional), given that there was a world war going on. However, the damage is done, so for the moment all we can do is wait for the radiation to dissipate or maybe the mechanic itself will be reworked so it doesn't completely kill food production, but that's wishful thinking. Wasn't there a treaty signed a couple of days ago regarding the usage of nukes, or am I mistaken?

So, TL:DR : The current situation isn't favorable for small/new countries (or for everyone, really), but it's not completely unplayable either. Adapt, reform, and survive until radiation fades away (mostly).

I do apologize if my post sounds fairly arrogant or pretentious.

• Upvote 1

G3.gif.d8066d8dc749ad2d0835fe69095fa73b.gif

New player here. I made my account about 4 days ago, and decided to sign up in here after reading this and other threads, just to give my (entirely irrelevant) two cents as a small nation (the ones that are being brought up as the biggest victims in this update) in the middle of this food-nuke crisis.

Does it suck to have 0% production because of a factor that is beyond my reach? Yes. Does it suck that I have to choose between paying a bill or letting my people starve just because the big boys launched nukes at each other and skyrocketed the radiation index that resulted in this food production crisis? Absolutely. I just want to lead France to it's former glory develop my country as peacefully as possible, although obviously I have to prepare for the prospect of war.

Either way, while I am obviously not happy with the current situation, it's not impossible to slog through it as a small country. I could have either complained and done nothing, or reformed to adapt to the current situation. The former would have amounted to nothing, so that option is out. As such, I was left with the latter. I eliminated both my farms in my 2nd city and replaced them with mining/industry infrastructure, as a way to pay for the food and develop my country further (I'm focused on completing objectives atm, so I've geared towards building tanks).

It's mostly a matter of adapting and just trying to make do with what you have until the situation improves. While far from ideal, it's not impossible for a tiny nation to survive. Maybe even prosper a tiny bit.

Perhaps Alex's timing (I didn't really like the reply he issued to those who asked him to change or remove the mechanics either, to be honest) on implementing this feature (which on itself is actually pretty interesting, as it should discourage the heavy use of nukes) was exceptionally poor (although arguably intentional), given that there was a world war going on. However, the damage is done, so for the moment all we can do is wait for the radiation to dissipate or maybe the mechanic itself will be reworked so it doesn't completely kill food production, but that's wishful thinking. Wasn't there a treaty signed a couple of days ago regarding the usage of nukes, or am I mistaken?

So, TL:DR : The current situation isn't favorable for small/new countries (or for everyone, really), but it's not completely unplayable either. Adapt, reform, and survive until radiation fades away (mostly).

I do apologize if my post sounds fairly arrogant or pretentious.

Check the trades, there's some food for you now.

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, AkAk said:

U4ydzF.jpg

giphy.gif

Hmm...

On 9/11/2016 at 8:15 PM, Alex said:

That's not realistic. To not be able to make Food, you'd need radiation levels of 1000R. Which would be, at a minimum, 167 Nuclear Weapons, all hitting the same continent, at the same time (as Radiation immediately starts dissipating) and that would at most last 8 and 1/3 days.

Well, my dear game designer, I've played these things for many years and I can tell you some stories. Stories of how designers that didn't cap certain counters simply assumed that certain things were impossible, that some extreme scenarios weren't ever going to happen because they were so costly, so impractical, so absurd. I've seen players with more individual power and wealth than the rest of the game combined and doubled. I've seen wars fought so intensively that the system the game used to keep track of war actions broke. I've seen lists of military units so long that no screenshot software could capture it. I've seen people overflow numbers to the point that their resources became literally infinite. I've seen players whose stats are so inflated that they could solo what amounts to endgame raid bosses that others can barely manage 25 on 1. I've personally speedrun an endgame scenario that normally takes alliances of dozens or hundreds years to accomplish solo and within a week.

Every number without a cap will be pushed to the cap anyway. Never forget that.

14 hours ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

Hmm...

Well, my dear game designer, I've played these things for many years and I can tell you some stories. Stories of how designers that didn't cap certain counters simply assumed that certain things were impossible, that some extreme scenarios weren't ever going to happen because they were so costly, so impractical, so absurd. I've seen players with more individual power and wealth than the rest of the game combined and doubled. I've seen wars fought so intensively that the system the game used to keep track of war actions broke. I've seen lists of military units so long that no screenshot software could capture it. I've seen people overflow numbers to the point that their resources became literally infinite. I've seen players whose stats are so inflated that they could solo what amounts to endgame raid bosses that others can barely manage 25 on 1. I've personally speedrun an endgame scenario that normally takes alliances of dozens or hundreds years to accomplish solo and within a week.

Every number without a cap will be pushed to the cap anyway. Never forget that.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in nuclear rain. Time to starve.

• Upvote 2

guys, this post is over a year and a half old, plz stop

• Downvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

• Alex locked this topic