Should We Vote For Moderators?

Donald Trump

Now, as a community, we all want good moderators that do their jobs.

Unfortunately, many people have complained about the state of the mod team and have openly posted their dislike for the mods.

So my suggestion is that the community have elections and vote for mods, allowing the will of the people to be heard. Elections can be held every 6 months. 

Mods here are shit no doubt. I stopped reading these forums just because of the mods.

Anyway you can't vote on someone you don't know because sheepy won't tell us who the mods are because some people are afraid to be dicks to people who could roll them. I'd gladly be the first public mod and I'd have no issue warning people for being dibshits. 

☾☆

Priest of Dio

º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¸ GOD EMPEROR DIO BRANDO¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¸ DIO BRANDO GOD EMPEROR¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

6m0xPQ1.gif

This raises a lot of questions and issues, I think.

I'm not saying the mod team is perfect, but I think we do an alright job given the circumstances. We aren't all knowing, we can't catch everything immediately, and since the changes a while ago we can't even act on our own outside of extreme cases. I think regardless of who moderates, though, there's going to be complaints and unhappy people - some of it warranted, but some of it just people who are mad because they broke the rules and don't feel that they deserve to be punished for breaking the rules. 

This particularly ties in to the idea of public moderator identities. I think if moderators are made public on PNW, they will be targeted for taking action against people. Even more worrying, they may (consciously or not) decide to avoid warning people who are particularly influential and/or aggressive, due to the concern for potential retaliation. I've volunteered to go public before, last time this became a debacle, but the end result was that nobody wanted to deal with the fallout.

If you were to have an election for moderators, there's no realistic way for that to work without public moderator identities.

Now, the idea of an election itself also has its flaws when introduced to the moderation system. Namely, moderators who may not be as active but are still active enough to be considered for the role. There are some moderators (hint: me) who just don't moderate as much as the likes of Four and Alice, but who still check the system at least once a day and go through and issue warns on a fairly regular basis. Generally speaking, in an election system people probably won't be as mad at those moderators, so they'd be more likely to get elected, which reduces the effectiveness. I honestly don't think that would be deserved, even if it happened to me. Being selected to be a moderator because you avoided pissing people off is pretty bad imo

tl;dr: Moderation should not be a popularity contest, people who aren't necessarily as well known can be just as good as people who are known, and the job (even when done right) is still going to piss some people off

• Upvote 6

Also:

Yet people get to choose the police. False Analogy. 

The people don't get to choose the police at all, really? I mean, police unions basically make it so that police can't be gotten rid of in all but the most extreme circumstances. If the people have no part in the decision of who becomes a police officer, and they are unable to remove ineffective police officers, how is it that they get to choose the police?

• Upvote 2

Also:

The people don't get to choose the police at all, really? I mean, police unions basically make it so that police can't be gotten rid of in all but the most extreme circumstances. If the people have no part in the decision of who becomes a police officer, and they are unable to remove ineffective police officers, how is it that they get to choose the police?

Most of us live in a democratic society, the police are under the control of the government and thus as a result are effectively under their control. 

Whereas here, the staff are admitted by Sheepy, who would serve as the Monarch. 

Most of us live in a democratic society, the police are under the control of the government and thus as a result are effectively under their control. 

Whereas here, the staff are admitted by Sheepy, who would serve as the Monarch. 

Assuming based off your username that you're primarily discussing the US, then it's sort of correct (as the police serve a system that is created by the politicians who are elected by citizens), but there's a fairly big disconnect in the logic in that the people have little to no direct control over the system.

In PNW terms, it would be like if the people of PNW voted for a group of people who then decided how the moderation system should work, but the decision of who became moderators was actually still made by the moderators themselves and they would almost never be removed. Except even more convoluted because that doesn't even account the whole of the judicial system, nor does it account for a lot of other factors in government. Honestly, it's fairly silly to compare the two because of the vast differences in scale and situation.

I've got to be off for a bit. If you'd like to further discuss the idea and debate why you believe it would work, feel free to do so. I'll be checking in when I do have a chance.

Please try and keep the thread civil, though. Healthy questioning of the system and adjusting as needed is good, I believe, but if it gets out of hand and we have to shut down a thread where everyone's just witch hunting and screaming at each other then suddenly it becomes "moderators are oppressing us because they're afraid to lose elections". That's not helpful to anybody.

• Upvote 1

I disagree with electing Moderators

Mods are here to do their job, they will no doubt piss off the bad people and some innocents along the way, but thats how it goes. If you hold an election people would be less likely to elect mods that actually do the job rather than mods who will cater to the people who vote for them. Not to mention, mods who would lie to get elected, and proceed to abuse their powers.

Alex is the creator of the game so he has the authority to chose his moderators, we dont elect people to get into jobs, we are either invited or apply and are chosen by the employer, in this case Alex. Mods are invite only and the employer Alex chooses who he thinks would be the best person to enforce rules that ALEX makes.

• Upvote 3

IYT09l4.png

Ex-Archduke of Defence for BK

3 minutes ago, Buorhann said:

@Lelouch Vi Britannia - BK needs you, but they really don't deserve you.  Thanks for the dankness.

Once Sheepy gets enough money -- Oh, I'm sorry (not), ALEX -- anyway, once he gets enough money, he should just hire people that will actually do the job well because they are being payed. And if the mods are getting payed now then SHIT YO DO A TERRIBLE JOB CONSIDERING IT YO JOB

This is very small

Electing mods just sounds like a bad idea to me, for many of the reasons raised above.

Public mods will be targeted, elected mods are likely to be populist. Mods need to make decisions not because they're popular, but because they're right. 

• Upvote 2

As you sow, so shall you reap

>troll thread

>treating thread seriously

GG P&W you guys suck at the whole not feeding the trolls thing

Tfw the troll you're complaining about consistently makes more detailed and higher effort posts than you

• Upvote 4

<+JohnHarms> We need more feminists

While I don't particularly like the idea of electing mods, I think people *other than* mods should discuss this topic. You know, just an idea.

I'm completely game for everyone else to discuss it, I just thought responding with a detailed post and having a well thought discussion about it would help. 

It does seem a bit odd to have the current mods discussing this. A bit of a conflict of interest maybe.

Probably true, though. I'll butt out of the thread unless anybody directly speaks to me or this starts to derail. 

>troll thread

>treating thread seriously

GG P&W you guys suck at the whole not feeding the trolls thing

Regardless of the account that does it, I don't think it's inappropriate to discuss the points presented, as long as they're being realistic and courteous about it. If he hopped onto the forums and said "MANG THE CURRENT MODS SUX VOTE FOR ME AS MOD", or was being rude and completely senseless in the replies, I wouldn't have gotten involved other than suggesting to the other mods that we shut the thread down. But this thread had legitimate ideas presented in a well organized manner. There's no reason to not talk about why they could or could not work, because that's how you improve a system.

• Upvote 1

Well, the current system seems to be buddies of alex are mods. The current mods seem better than in the past. However, given the totality of modding over time, has the current system resulted in a good outcome?

-signature removed for rules violation-

Well, the current system seems to be buddies of alex are mods. The current mods seem better than in the past. However, given the totality of modding over time, has the current system resulted in a good outcome?

I'm not banned yet, so system works great in my view.

• Upvote 2

I mean from what has been publicly posted, there are less problems with the current system - but still problems. When there isn't problems we are living in a perfect world and we all know a perfect world will never happen (unless all humanity dies). But even then - its still not perfect. 

From what I see, people get a warn and they shit their pants, start complaining like the entitled child they are hoping to get some type of response or their 15 minutes of backing support from this community, which has the tendency to become quite immature, but what do you expect...its the internet. 

• Upvote 1