Is it just me or is HoI4 really bad?

Ayayay

Like, idk, but hoi4 is boring as !@#$. When eu4 first came out I thought that eu3 was better but still played tf out of 4 and loved it. HoI4, otoh, I've played like 3-4 games and am just sick of it. You'd think over a year of extra work would make it stellar but it's just shallow and extremely boring.

I can't be the only one who really dislikes hoi4, right?

• Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Like, idk, but hoi4 is boring as !@#$. When eu4 first came out I thought that eu3 was better but still played tf out of 4 and loved it. HoI4, otoh, I've played like 3-4 games and am just sick of it. You'd think over a year of extra work would make it stellar but it's just shallow and extremely boring.

I can't be the only one who really dislikes hoi4, right?

We have defined it as "accessible", aka dull as !@#$.

-signature removed for rules violation-

We have defined it as "accessible", aka dull as !@#$.

I remember a few years back one of the devs said something about how they wanted to remove all the AI assisted stuff because if you have to hand control off to an AI then it's a bad game.

Then they based the entire military aspect on having the AI handle it Â¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

I think PI wanted to expand their market share beyond autistic neckbeards willing to micro to macro shit across the globe. But they may have missed that people outside that category are uninterested in playing a global war game.

I think PI wanted to expand their market share beyond autistic neckbeards willing to micro to macro shit across the globe. But they may have missed that people outside that category are uninterested in playing a global war game.

I'm not going to lie, in HoI3 I would always try to use the AI to handle the fronts I didn't care about. It never really worked because the AI is !@#$ing terrible but at least I would try. However, they just went way to !@#$ing far and it's pretty damn unbearable.

• Upvote 1

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

I didn't play HOI3, so i can't compare, but this just feels incomplete. Like it's 2 DLC's away from being a full game. I build units for a front, follow my preferred national focus, and that's it. I try to micro units in a front and the AI controller shits itself then undoes my changes. The only time I really enjoyed a battle was when i volunteered a small force into the Spanish Civil War and controlled them without a front.

Could still get worse. Paradox might not have ruled out mobile games yet.

Maybe it will get better, But i did refund my version after 1 hour, maybe Ill buy it again later but it does need some patches etc... but every game starts off bad, If I am not mistaken so did Hoi3, but tbh I am just waiting for the Modern Warfare Mod to come to Hoi4:) I play Hoi3 now instead 

sig.gif

I didn't play HOI3, so i can't compare, but this just feels incomplete. Like it's 2 DLC's away from being a full game. I build units for a front, follow my preferred national focus, and that's it. I try to micro units in a front and the AI controller shits itself then undoes my changes. The only time I really enjoyed a battle was when i volunteered a small force into the Spanish Civil War and controlled them without a front.

Could still get worse. Paradox might not have ruled out mobile games yet.

PI does pokemon go v2 -hooray-

HOI 2 was the best HOI game. It had less regions, so you could feasibly micro. With so many regions and separate divisions, you cannot really micro any major power in HOI 3 or 4. So you have to hand things over to the AI. But that misses the whole appeal of HOI where your hours of micromanagement pay off, and you get that encirclement just right, or get that multiple front and combined arms bonus, or when your mountaineers pay off.

One good thing I can say for HOI4 is that it's very fast. Finishing a campaign in a single day is feasible. But that's because you just build your armies and tell them in which direction to conquer.

Edited by Kemal Ergenekon
  • Upvote 2
77oKn5K.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have to money buy Hoi4, is it worth it????

In hoi3 the AI (Germany Campagn) would do great till 1941-2 and of which I'll end up losing everything I conquered; and my OBWest can't make a naval invasion even after I manually landed marines and then infantry and tanks. They can't even make intercept missions, my Ic is being bombed to hell by the Brits, it should be the other way around!!!! But hoi3 was nice. Is HOI4 worth it!???

I liked HoI 2 myself. An upgraded version with modern graphics and more advanced mechanics would be sweet, yet keeping with the feel. 

Playing as America, turning to the Axis and invading Mexico was always fun. 

Edited by Donald Trump

Darkest Hour is still the best game out there. And with a lot of mods, like "TGC" and "Kaiserreich".

HoI 4 lacks in comprehensibility.

What is a good army composition?

How much fighters/Bombers does a squadron actually need? There's just this stupid slider from 0 to 1500 or so -.-'

No idea how to build ships :P

Well, i only played a pirate 1.0 Version, but it didn't really fetch my interest.

On another note. Hoi 3 was serious shit. Too much micromanagement, since the AI handled frontlines worse then a drunken Mongo. Even frenchies would act more effective.

And it looked ugly and had no techteams, lacking every Immersion. And playing Germany is all about Immersion.

Worst Paradox game after Sengoku.

Most paradox games only start to shine after an obscene amount of expansion packs.

Hmmm. Vanilla HOI2 was very playable.

Also you need a good base game if that theory is to hold.

HoI 4 lacks in comprehensibility.

What is a good army composition?

How much fighters/Bombers does a squadron actually need? There's just this stupid slider from 0 to 1500 or so -.-'

No idea how to build ships :P

A good basic army is 7 inf, 2 art. A good breakthrough army is 3-4 arm, 2 spart, and 3-4 mot. Your armies should ideally be 20 combat width. Air wings operate best in units of 100. Ships work best in fast carrier groups: 4 CV, 6-8 BB/CA, 18-24 CL/DD. Submarines are great in any size.

HOI 2 was the best HOI game. It had less regions, so you could feasibly micro. With so many regions and separate divisions, you cannot really micro any major power in HOI 3 or 4. So you have to hand things over to the AI. But that misses the whole appeal of HOI where your hours of micromanagement pay off, and you get that encirclement just right, or get that multiple front and combined arms bonus, or when your mountaineers pay off.

One good thing I can say for HOI4 is that it's very fast. Finishing a campaign in a single day is feasible. But that's because you just build your armies and tell them in which direction to conquer.

HoI2 was too small and therefore encirclement's weren't as satisfying. There's nothing better in HoI then trapping a 100+ enemy divisions in a pocket and starving them to death. Also the micro in HoI3 was only a real problem late game, I would've been fine with the same system in 4 but with the AI being competent enough to handle fronts you didn't care about. Biggest problem in 4 is terrain modifiers are a !@#$ joke and can be ignored. Prbal

I've also yet to spend less than a day on a campaign either. Granted I usually attempt a world conquest then get bored with like a dozen countries left but w/e. Idk about you but I can never trust my front's AI to actually handle a front either so I end up having to micro it instead of telling them to conquer something. Terrain is also a joke as well, in past games you actually had to pay attention to it, now your tanks can roll through a swamp in the worst winter in human history and still not give a !@#$. I also remember when the the devs said they wanted doing something like conquering the USSR to be an actual challenge, what a joke. You can't even lose a campaign without picking a shit tier country and doing something incredibly stupid, let alone Barbarossa.

A good basic army is 7 inf, 2 art. A good breakthrough army is 3-4 arm, 2 spart, and 3-4 mot. Your armies should ideally be 20 combat width. Air wings operate best in units of 100. Ships work best in fast carrier groups: 4 CV, 6-8 BB/CA, 18-24 CL/DD. Submarines are great in any size.

I was going to say there's only 5 slots available but then I realized you were talking about 4, not 3 :P Also, a better fleet composition is selecting every single ship you have and putting it all together :s

Squadrons should be in wings of 100 as well.

On another note. Hoi 3 was serious shit. Too much micromanagement, since the AI handled frontlines worse then a drunken Mongo. Even frenchies would act more effective.

And it looked ugly and had no techteams, lacking every Immersion. And playing Germany is all about Immersion.

Worst Paradox game after Sengoku.

Complaining that 4 lacks in comprehensibility is kinda a dumb statement tbh, you don't have to google/waste time doing math to find out which tech team is the most optimal for each tech. I !@#$ hated that about DH and it's great it's gone. Tbh, it wouldn't've been a problem if there wasn't 5 different field types for each tech and another 2-4 for each research team, all with different !@#$ numbers.  Also, yes, HoI3 AI is trash which is why you should never actually use it. I'm not sure why you'd want to hand off control in a wargame anyways, especially Germany in '39, you probably have no more than 100 divisions to manage which is fairly easy. USSR, especially mid-late game, I'd understand through.

Also, I kinda liked Sengoku, granted not enough to play more than a few games, but it's kinda nice.

I have to money buy Hoi4, is it worth it????

In hoi3 the AI (Germany Campagn) would do great till 1941-2 and of which I'll end up losing everything I conquered; and my OBWest can't make a naval invasion even after I manually landed marines and then infantry and tanks. They can't even make intercept missions, my Ic is being bombed to hell by the Brits, it should be the other way around!!!! But hoi3 was nice. Is HOI4 worth it!???

Handle invasions yourself, PDS games have the worst naval AI. Some mods in HoI2 used to make Japanese Korea/Manchuria a separate nation because Japan [and every other] AI couldn't even handle shipping their goddamn troops.

It also bugs me that the HoI4 AI can't even !@#$ encircle a tree, they'd rather spend hours trying to run soldiers through it instead. So godawful and it overwrites whatever your orders are because !@#$ you for trying to cheat the game by not being an idiot and manually controlling your units. And !@#$ Crimea, why the !@#$ does the front line ignore it? Seriously, every !@#$ time, the AI barrels right past it and the front line doesn't recognize it leaving a !@#$ exploitable hole directly behind the front. If the AI in 4 wasn't !@#$ trash they could encircle quite a few southern troops before someone notices it, and losing even one division to such bullshit is utter nonsense.

Edited by underlordgc

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

totally agree , after so much years , I am still playing and modding HOI2 (Doomsday Armageddon , Vanilla , no mods) and I like it , had the chance to buy HOI3 when it came out , but passed it , because of the initial negative reviews. had the chance again last summer do buy it and passed again. HOI2 is still a great game.

yes , sometimes the IA do what it wants , but still a great game , even without mods or expansions like AOD or the others available for it.

so far I played a lot of games with most of the nations at every scenario since I bought it in 2009 and no game is exactly like the other and that's why I like it and the modding options are simply huge , can't judge HOI 3 and HOI 4 , never played it ,but for what I read in Paradox Forums , some people still plays HOI2 and dislike 3 and 4.

maybe one day they make a Modern Times HOI , then I may drop HOI2 and move there , but until that happened , I will keep playing HOI2 :) ...

Republica Sovietica de Nova Galiza

https://politicsandwar.com/nation/id=43606

I don't know, I'm quite enjoying myself in Hearts of Iron 4. Just recently beat the Soviet Union into submission as Germany with taking less then 150k casualties and them 1m.

Tried an aggressive France game and defeated Germany, but wasn't fast enough so couldn't demand for Little Entente achievement.

Conquered the US as Mexico

Beat the Germans as Allies Poland.

A lot of replayability on my end.

I don't know, I'm quite enjoying myself in Hearts of Iron 4. Just recently beat the Soviet Union into submission as Germany with taking less then 150k casualties and them 1m.

Tried an aggressive France game and defeated Germany, but wasn't fast enough so couldn't demand for Little Entente achievement.

Conquered the US as Mexico

Beat the Germans as Allies Poland.

A lot of replayability on my end.

Which means that the engine is far to casual.  I have seen a Greek WC. . . so far too casual for my taste.

Which means that the engine is far to casual.  I have seen a Greek WC. . . so far too casual for my taste.

The AI is far too easy that's for sure. I feel they hit their goal of more accessibility without much sacrifice. Just the AI is ruining it with its response to x situation or y opportunity. I just seem to be in the minority though. So each their own.

I really like Hearts of Iron IV, yes it lacks depth but I still find it fun.

But the AI is crappy as hell. I was able to beat Germany as Poland simple because they decided to remove all of their units from the front lines to the western front.

bRejPUy.jpg