End the Americanization of P&W!

Andrezj Kolarov

I'm not seeing any reason you want to end the "Americanization."

Also, it's worth noting that 80% of the players are in America.

That's 1 argument pro-"Americanization", 0 arguments anti-"Americanization."

20% non-American players is a strong argument against it?

I mean when you look at similar games, the majority is usually Indonesian players or something.

I think I have a solution to the problem here.

1. Have localized terminology for the resources. If I want to use aluminium and petrol, I would select the "UK" localization, whereas if I want aluminum and gasoline, I would pick the "US" localization. While generally, I'm overwhelmingly for greater individuality within nations, I think that there needs to be set terminologies that the vast number of people would be able to comprehend. Obviously in the real world, litres of petrol ≠ gallons of gasoline, but I think pretending that they're equal units here in Orbis would be a small price to pay for more localized nomenclature.

2. Allow people to customize the name of their projects. Obviously for the api's the names would remain the same, and the pictures & descriptions should also remain unchanged. I just think allowing people to customize the name of say, the CIA, would simplify the argument. Here's an example of what the CIA description would be if I renamed it to the "Resvernas Information Institute"

Resvernas Information Institute

Resvernas Information Institute is a national project that allows you to do two espionage operations per day instead of one and train up to 60 spies.

As you can see, the description is exactly the same, and the only difference here is that the name has changed.

edit: I would also argue that requiring VIP to be able to use #2 would garner more interest in credits.

Edited by Grealind
  • Upvote 1

greene.png

Formerly known as Grealind of Resvernas (28 October 2014-29 August 2017) and Greene of Japan (29 August 2017-28 Septmber 2017)

7th Caretaker of Duat, the Deity Thoth

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not seeing any reason you want to end the "Americanization."

Also, it's worth noting that 80% of the players are in America.

That's 1 argument pro-"Americanization", 0 arguments anti-"Americanization."

I think it would be best to take care of the all the players fairly, yes Americans is the biggest group playing now, no questions about it but it would make economical sense to be all inclusive instead of excluding everybody else and catering to only Americans.

On a side-note: Alex probably has a lot better things to do with the game than go play word-police. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe we can just rename the project to our liking, 

Ex. Miliitary Intelligence 5, Ð¾Ð¼Ð¸Ñ‚еÌÑ‚ гоÑудаÌÑ€Ñтвенной безопаÌÑноÑти (КГБ), Bundesnachrichtendienst, Direction générale de la sécurité extérieure. Australian Secret Intelligence Service, Mossad Etc..... 

More customization :)

Edited by Hunter Lexus
  • Upvote 2

Maybe we can just rename the project to our liking, 

Ex. Miliitary Intelligence 5, Ð¾Ð¼Ð¸Ñ‚еÌÑ‚ гоÑудаÌÑ€Ñтвенной безопаÌÑноÑти (КГБ), Bundesnachrichtendienst, Direction générale de la sécurité extérieure. Australian Secret Intelligence Service, Mossad Etc..... 

More customization :)

I'm all for the Americanization of P&W, but being able to customize project names sounds like it would be really fun.

• Upvote 1

new_forum_sig_2.png

"Americanization" implies something that was not originally American becomes Americanized. PnW has always been American, hence it cannot become Americanized. That's like saying a dude choking down a cock is becoming "gay-ified" despite clearly already being a !@#$!@#$got.

Also this thread is a massive shitshow.

I approve.

• Upvote 2

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

"Americanization" implies something that was not originally American becomes Americanized. PnW has always been American, hence it cannot become Americanized. That's like saying a dude choking down a cock is becoming "gay-ified" despite clearly already being a !@#$!@#$.

Also this thread is a massive shitshow.

I approve.

In the immortal words of Andrew Dice Clay......."There is no bi-sexual......you either suck dick or you do not suck dick.....what, do they flip in quarter in the morning when they get out of bed to see what they are for the day....."Heads....hair-pie......tails.....balls across the nose"!

X4EfkAB.png

I think you mean "flip a franc or a pense" or some shit like that. "Quarter" is so Americanized.

America created the modern world. It only makes sense that all the stuff America invented has American names. Maybe, next century the rest of the world will do something noteworthy.

• Upvote 2

America created the modern world. It only makes sense that all the stuff America invented has American names. Maybe, next century the rest of the world will do something noteworthy.

Name one country objectively better than America. I'll wait.

facepalm-hogan.jpg

The German Reich was better, always needed the whole world to get defeated :P

On topic:

As always, customisation is prefered. Project names and project pictures. There could be an overlay picture indicating what the project actually is, in case people go crazy.

Edited by Odin
  • Upvote 2

facepalm-hogan.jpg

The German Reich was better, always needed the whole world to get defeated :P

On topic:

As always, customisation is prefered. Project names and project pictures. There could be an overlay picture indicating what the project actually is, in case people go crazy.

Only with VIP :v

*dreams of a day where his ITC can be the nevar forgetti memorial*

• Wiki Mod

lets not start that, it's just more stuff to slow down the server when blitzes are happening.

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

Well to be fair Modern Japan pretty much owns the Electronic and Video Game Market. South Korea is up there too. The thing is this is an American game so the concepts will be American. The creator is American. It's like how I expect Anime to take place in Japan or how Harry Potter takes place in England. Though Harry Potter Anime... Well then.

Fire is nice eh?

Name one country objectively better than America. I'll wait.

Alright, let's get started, shall we:

Norway

Switzerland

Germany

Japan

Ireland

Iceland

Sweeden

Finland

Canada

UK

Australia

South Korea

Shiiiit, I got tired ot thinking.

Edited by DragonK

tvPWtuA.gif

Everybody needs to !@#$ about something I suppose.

If you either complain about a problem, or you help create them.

But then again, some problems aren't worth complaining about.

And problems that aren't worth complaining about aren't problems.

Icwalk.gif

As a non-American (Polish), I find that this thread's title is entirely inappropriate. The game is not being Americanised (note that the original poster uses American orthography). The game is an American game, so nothing is being Americanised.

However, as a nation simulator, at least in name, this game should try to be as international as possible. Yes, it is true that the player base is mostly composed of Americans, but would it not make more sense for a supposedly international political simulator to appeal to a more international player base? Making the game more 'international' potentially adds a new, previously untapped base of players, which would mean increased revenue for the owner (more players means more money). 

Most of the suggestions already voiced on this thread dwell simply upon unnecessary details, such as orthography and improvement names.

If anything should change, it is the game's promoted image and purpose. The present problem is not found in the game's style. The problem is in the player demographics. If 80% of the player base is American the administrators should try to bring in more non-American players. I hope that the game demographics eventually indicate a base of 50% American and 50% non-American. 

In short, Alex and his administration should try to more actively promote Politics&War to a broader, non-American audience. Internet advertisements in other languages for various countries are simply one idea that comes to mind. 

Once we have achieved the proper game demographic, then we can talk of making the game's style less American. 

(By the way, my only 'non-American' grievance against this game is the choice of baseball over football. This is an 'international' simulator, make the sport truly international.)

Edited by Klemens Hawicki