6/16/2016 - Captchas

Alex

Shame concerning the drastic reduction in OBL revenue.

PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT

As it may be known or not, I create many of the OBL team logos. Prices will sadly need to be drastically increased to compensate for the drastically reduced revenues from playing. I'm certain this will have a drastically negative effect on the number of logos requested, and thus reduce the credits used to assign them to your teams, but we don't want to make too easy for Alex to make any money if we can't, do we?

Edited by Tyro Leif

ScientificHumanism.png

• Administrators

Shame concerning the drastic reduction in OBL revenue.

PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT

As it may be known or not, I create many of the OBL team logos. Prices will sadly need to be drastically increased to compensate for the drastically reduced revenues from playing. I'm certain this will have a drastically negative effect on the number of logos requested, and thus reduce the credits used to assign them to your teams, but we don't want to make too easy for Alex to make any money if we can't, do we?

Previously you could generate about $1,000,000 every 15 minutes. If people are just getting free money from baseball, there's no incentive to actually play the game, buy credits, or do anything but click the damn "Host Game" button.

The few Credit sales that come from people purchasing OBL logos is nothing compared to the amount that people spend on cash every month. I'd gladly lessen the number of logos that are made if it means people are still redeeming Credits for money.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Previously you could generate about $1,000,000 every 15 minutes. If people are just getting free money from baseball, there's no incentive to actually play the game, buy credits, or do anything but click the damn "Host Game" button.

The few Credit sales that come from people purchasing OBL logos is nothing compared to the amount that people spend on cash every month. I'd gladly lessen the number of logos that are made if it means people are still redeeming Credits for money.

Payout reduction is fine, but upping the captchas again is a bit much. I'm getting captchas every three or so games.

Edited by NeXaXeN

This is paradoxically more irritating because now I'm getting a captcha every 8-10 pages regardless of what I'm doing. I understood the need for captchas for baseball, declaring war, and doing a bunch of trades but now that it's everything it's a pain.

• Upvote 4

This is paradoxically more irritating because now I'm getting a captcha every 8-10 pages regardless of what I'm doing. I understood the need for captchas for baseball, declaring war, and doing a bunch of trades but now that it's everything it's a pain.

I can confirm. I just got captcha'd checking my nation page. :huh:

So it's not just me?

Not just you...

I think Alex created a monster -- the captchas are out of control, running amok everywhere!  :P

EDIT:

And immediately after posting that, a captcha popped up when I was just trying to check a message.

Alex, can you remove them from messaging? Some of us have to send messages out to the whole alliance sometimes and captchas will make that super-annoying.

Edited by Ekaterina Kalmyk

I get screened about every 8 mouse clicks so good job I guess.

Play baseball, get screened.

Check notifications, get screened.

Check wars, get screened.

Refresh a page, get screened.

As much of a pain the captchas were for baseball, at least you knew when and where you would get them, not this random get them everywhere crap we get now.

• Upvote 3

Also, while I agree baseball payouts were maybe a little overpowered and could have eventually fueled a giant uncontrollable baseball playing upper tier, if they were adjusted to be more powered on the say, under 8 cities side of things, and scaled down as things go higher than that, they'd have a great leveling effect and give people who've started much later more of a chance to catch up if they're consistently active about it.

I definitely get the need to balance it, but the game as a whole only benefits when more people have an opportunity to catch up.

• Upvote 2

This is great news seems though so many of the captchas I've been getting lately have been quite inaccurate, eg. apparently 'store front' is synonymous for 'anything that resembles a building'. Also it often seems to think roads are rivers. How are these captchas even made?

Google uses captchas as a human input to advance their machine learning efforts.

RollSheepy.png

Guest Frawley

Would have been nice for the change in money to happen before I just spent 25 mil on baseball....

:mellow:

This, also I am getting a captcha every few pages for anything at all. For someone who has been happy to ignore baseball for 6 months its a bit of a pita.

If you're going to cut back baseball winnings and hosting revenue so significantly, maybe you should reduce the cost of player upgrades equally as much.

Also the current frequency of captchas is ridiculous, please revert to original captcha change frequency.

If you're going to cut back baseball winnings and hosting revenue so significantly, maybe you should reduce the cost of player upgrades equally as much.

Also the current frequency of captchas is ridiculous, please revert to original captcha change frequency.

I'm pretty sure the frequency of captchas has been steadily increasing throughout the day. Is there something wrong on the coding side?

Because I'm getting them every two to three Away games now and it's really breaking my momentum. -_-

I agree with those saying the captchas are way to frequent. They need to be scaled back.

Regarding the payouts, I believe they have just been returned to their original value. As a frequent baseball player, I'll admit the payouts were too high after Sheepy inflated them.

That being said, the amount of money you make from winning a game is ridiculously low. The money you make from hosting is fine, but the winning value is not. If you're going to have captchas pop up every 3-4 games played, the money you make from winning a game should be on average in the low thousands (say $2k-3k for winning) as opposed to the mid $100s (this is for a team with a 100.00 rating).

• Upvote 1

• Administrators

I can confirm. I just got captcha'd checking my nation page. :huh:

Captchas won't show on your nation page. Must have been a different page, as they only apply to pages which require you to be logged in (nation page not being one of them.)

You will get a captcha every 400-600 clicks, unless you're playing baseball or trading. That will make them appear more frequently.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Captchas won't show on your nation page. Must have been a different page, as they only apply to pages which require you to be logged in (nation page not being one of them.)

You will get a captcha every 400-600 clicks, unless you're playing baseball or trading. That will make them appear more frequently.

But why is it necessary to have captchas on non-functioning pages such as your inbox, war activity, or even your revenue page? I fully understand having captchas on baseball, trading, and even city pages, but having blanket bot protection on every page that requires you to log in is, in my opinion, unnecessarily excessive. I'm just just saying this as someone who creates scripts to scrape and perform actions on those pages (legal scripts, nothing that breaks the rules), but as a user who gets frustrated when I have to prove that I'm a human when I'm not doing anything that makes is necessary for me to prove that I'm actually a human.

• Upvote 1

[22:37:51] <&Yosodog> Problem is, everyone is too busy deciding which top gun character they are that no decision has been made

BK in a nutshell

• Jax locked this topic