Adding Colonies to a Nation

Ekaterina Kalmyk

I hope this is implemented. Would is cost to get your army to the colony to defend it?

There would probably be some sort initial invasion cost (in money+military) in addition to the daily upkeep cost of keeping a military presence in the colony in order to keep it. (I clearly need a thesaurus, but the point should be clear enough, lol.)

First off i love this sugestion, good idea! and i have some thoughts on how you could do it that might be fair and balanced. Atlest i think they are, granted im a top tier nation and i fight alot so i have bias.

But before that, to all the (insert medium insult) who talk about destorying or messing with the market. The market is terrible as is, it is broken, the prices make wars cripling, teh hell are you on about???

How about you can only recive raw res from the colony not send it? so if you can make say Oil and lead you can make gas and muni but not steel, and so forth. 

And you should be able to buy land in it so you can make food, but no infra since working it into the warsystem might be a pain. 

Also sugested unlock prices : 

10m

20m

40m 

i think id pay that (atleast the first 2 for more res production)

Pretty much read my mind in regards to raw resource production.

Untitled.png

How would this affect your score and please sheepy I mean alex add this

Depends on how it was implemented, I suppose, though I wasn't thinking it would have any direct input on your score. Maybe raising it if you need to keep a certain amount of standing military to defend it (even if that military presence was kept separate from your main military, since it would be housed offshore).

I think it would be cool if it would function like a seperate nation as one city it would have a base of 250 score and as you add infra and improvments it would increase. It would't be able to attack people but it could get attacked and it would take 2 turns to send troops there.

I think it would be cool if it would function like a seperate nation as one city it would have a base of 250 score and as you add infra and improvments it would increase. It would't be able to attack people but it could get attacked and it would take 2 turns to send troops there.

Interesting ideas; it's definitely beginning to make more sense to me that colonies would be involved in war somehow. Though there would be some troops stationed there already, perhaps there would be a way to send additional troops from the main nation in two turns' time.

Colonies should have an initial cost for creation that should be really high so that only nations with high financial and military capability should be able to afford it.

There should also be a requirement for creating colonies - like you can create your first colony only after reaching 10 cities and subsequent colonies after adding another 5 cities in your main nation.

This offsets the resource and monetary advantage of having a colony.

Apart from this a colony should have higher upkeep for military and all the improvements.

Colonies should have their own Nation Score so it requires defending but can have financial and military assistance from their Governing Nation.

Colonies should have a cap of 10 cities and can not have more than that.

National Projects need to be developed separately for each colonies and the NPs in the Governing Nation do not apply on the colonies.

A particular city in any colony can not have more infra then the maximum infra city in the Governing Nation.

(These conditions will prevent exceptional development of colonies rather than the Main Nation)

Income from colonies is non-taxable buy the Governing Nation's Alliance (so that gives and additional monetary benefit), however, the colonies can not join a separate Alliance from the one which the Governing Nation is in, but can choose to be in that particular Alliance or not.

Some thoughts:

Colonies should NOT have their own slots, nor should they take up slots.

Developing colonies should be difficult and expensive, but potentially profitable. They should require a long term investment.

Colonies should be both destructible and conquerable. You should be able to seize a colony from a weaker opponent.

Furthermore. there should be no restrictions on who can attack a colony. (Colonies should be for the big boys.)

Edited by Baumgilad
  • Upvote 1

Interesting ideas, particularly using a number of cities as the prerequisite instead of Infra/Land. That would perfectly ensure two important things:

1) That only large nations can have colonies, as would be the case in real life.

2) That colonies cannot be added "too quickly" to a nation.

So the first colony slot could open up at 10 cities, then another at 15 cities, etc.

Agreed that income from a colony shouldn't be taxable by the nation's alliance and that National Projects of the governing nation shouldn't apply to the colonies, but I don't think colonies should have their own cities and ability to choose which alliance they belong to -- I mean, how would they even choose? Some sort of AI with free will? Yeah, that couldn't possibly backfire, heh.

Certainly, it wouldn't be a good idea to develop a colony that's bigger than its governing nation... it might get some ideas about declaring independence at that point, haha.

And hopefully colonies would be profitable in the long term, but that would only be after considerable money and time were invested.

Edited by Ekaterina Kalmyk

The economic impact would be turmoil for younger nations. Ideally the economy would work small nations produce raw, mid sized nations buy raws and sell manufactured goods. Larger nations purchase manufactured goods for war. This ideal is already fairly far off, Currently the ideal would be small and mid-size nations produce manufactured goods, Larger nations produce raw and manufactured resources and then buy manufactured resources. Eventually enough war will happen where Larger nations quantities would drop to make it profitable for smaller nations to sell raw resources. This addition wouldn't allow the economy to ever move back to the ideal. This would completely limit out new nations from entering the game and not promoting growth. since mid and large nations would fill in the gap of smaller nations. with how much MORE impactful larger nations would become. 

This is my only concern with the system. Even though they are expensive under your proposal, they would have to be worth it for people to buy one or nobody will buy one. It's like the stealing cash spy operation suggested a while ago. Either everyone will do it because it is worth it, or it will just be another useless mechanic in PaW. 

• Upvote 1

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

Theres a few ways for colonys to not damage the economic necessity and beneficial nature of small nations to produce resources.. They have to be conquerable without full scale war, the nation holding a colony will be permanantly "at war" due to military needs for the colony, and each time the colony is fought over it becomes just a little bigger (bigger=more sought after=more resources spent to take it=continued economic balance)