Should War Policy be secret?

Andrezj Kolarov

I think it goes both ways.

Right now, the nice thing about war policies is that during peacetime, being set as "moneybags" is a pretty good deterrent to keep raiders away (though this obviously won't always be the case).

On the other hand, I like adding some more use to spies gathering intelligence - I think having more things in there makes for a more interesting espionage system, and in general the policies aren't as useful if your opponent is expecting them.

• Upvote 1

If you see an alliance changing war policy en masse, they're probably planning for something soon (like, immediately soon, rather than the general militarization kind of soon). Taking away the ability to see that adds a layer of politics and intrigue to planning. (Or, I suppose, changes things to the way they were before war policies.)

RollSheepy.png

If you see an alliance changing war policy en masse, they're probably planning for something soon (like, immediately soon, rather than the general militarization kind of soon). Taking away the ability to see that adds a layer of politics and intrigue to planning. (Or, I suppose, changes things to the way they were before war policies.)

That's also another angle to it.

I think the policies do have a chance at adding that layer of intrigue if they're hidden - not just leaving it where it was before, but actually making things more interesting on that front because the espionage policies let you more safely gather intelligence and such if that's what your goal is.

• Administrators

I think being able to see this makes it more interesting. For example, if an entire alliance switches to Blitzkrieg, and you suspect they might hit your alliance, it would be very advantageous to pre-empt them before they hit you. However, they may not have been planning to attack you to begin with. So you're forced with a really high risk/high reward decision, which imo, is extremely interesting and a great way to completely flip the table of a war.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I think being able to see this makes it more interesting. For example, if an entire alliance switches to Blitzkrieg, and you suspect they might hit your alliance, it would be very advantageous to pre-empt them before they hit you. However, they may not have been planning to attack you to begin with. So you're forced with a really high risk/high reward decision, which imo, is extremely interesting and a great way to completely flip the table of a war.

From a strategic standpoint, it would make sense to have to "discover" their war policies.

All hail Irken

All hail the Tallest!

i've never really understood why we're always able to know stuff like the complete improvement composition of every opposing city

having the war policy of foreign nations be public knowledge is just an absurd version of how much information we get

like why isn't it at least my choice to reveal if i have nukes and, if so, how many? that's how it is IRL

• Upvote 1

When the war policy was proposed I had advocated for it to be hidden to add an extra layer of strategy.

Imagine the scenario where your war policy is Attrition you declare on the nation and find out that you are not causing enough damage. You suspect his war policy to be Turtle. 

You need to change your war policy to have a larger impact. You might then opt for Blitzkreig/Pirate/Tactician.

Similarly the defender also needs to guess your policy and adjust accordingly.

Spying becomes important now as when you are not able to adjust yourself, you might want to spy out your opponents war policy to adopt your nation accordingly.

This adds a little strategy into individual battles and can be detrimental when it is a 1v1 war between equal sized nation.

It depends.

If someone is in a ton of wars, as in frequently warring, you should be able to "discover" their tactics from just "watching" them.

Or perhaps the policies don't show up unless they are spied upon or declare war. I barely added anything, but I like the conversation!

Thats the idea. You shouldnt know what that person is "planing" to do till its to late or you have inside information, this case a spy mission, on them.

All hail Irken

All hail the Tallest!