4/18/2016 - Deprecating VIP Forum Benefits

Alex

I think a good list for future VIP/Legacy bonuses would be:

- Custom currency (with image upload).

- Custom national religion (not the one in the factbook, something that's displayed on the main page).

- Higher Factbook wordcount.

- Being able to name our Intelligence Services (Spies) and Missile/Nuke forces like we can name Army/Navy/Air-force, plus their commanders.

- The ability to change national flag at will (2 credits everytime you want a new one is harsh).

- Same as above but for baseball team logo.

- Small income bonus (again, controversial but an idea).

Feel free for anyone else to add ideas to this.

• Upvote 3

Remove approval for Alliance Anthems and Backgrounds, please.

(Doesn't fit to VIP, but surely to 'reducing workload') 

Edited by Odin
  • Upvote 1

Personally, I think that having to pay for a custom national flag is a bad idea, however, I think that if you want to change it later, it should be 3 credits at first and increase every two changes.

Because simply having a mod who did this once a week would be super tough.

Shit, I'll do it. All the VIP thing does in game is send a message. Reroute that to me and give me usergroup buttons and I'll keep it up to date.

• Upvote 3

☾☆ Chairman Emeritus of Mensa HQ ☾☆

"It's not about the actual fish, themselves. Fish are not important in this context. It's about fish-ing, the act of fishing itself." -Jack O'Neill

iMZejv3.gif

• Administrators

Remove approval for Alliance Anthems and Backgrounds, please.

(Doesn't fit to VIP, but surely to 'reducing workload') 

Yes, that's on my to-do list as well.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

Because simply having a mod who did this once a week would be super tough.

Shit, I'll do it. All the VIP thing does in game is send a message. Reroute that to me and give me usergroup buttons and I'll keep it up to date.

I imagine you'd get tired of dealing with people who don't know how to create a forum account, log into their forum account, and other general troubleshooting questions. Plus, when you inevitably got tired of the job, I'd have to find someone else, etc.

It's much easier if it's all in-game and all automated. I'm giving anyone that wants a VIP forum pip plenty of time to make that possible, which I think is a very fair compromise.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

- Custom national religion (not the one in the factbook, something that's displayed on the main page).

- Being able to name our Intelligence Services (Spies) and Missile/Nuke forces like we can name Army/Navy/Air-force, plus their commanders.

- The ability to change national flag at will (2 credits everytime you want a new one is harsh).

iirc - sheepy recently released an update allowing everyone to name all the branches of military.

Honestly I'd like it if VIP membership came automatically from donating.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Manually processing all of that is way too much maintenance work. I'd rather have Sheepy focused on developing new stuff for the game like new National Projects, Perks. etc.

• Upvote 1

I imagine you'd get tired of dealing with people who don't know how to create a forum account, log into their forum account, and other general troubleshooting questions. Plus, when you inevitably got tired of the job, I'd have to find someone else, etc.

It's much easier if it's all in-game and all automated. I'm giving anyone that wants a VIP forum pip plenty of time to make that possible, which I think is a very fair compromise.

I mean, I'd offer a firm commitment of six months just to get the ball rolling, but I see no reason why it would be a lot of work.

I'd just log in once a day, probably around 9-10PM server time, and update the permissions. If someone is too derp to know how to register a forum account then they'll simply have to figure it out if they want to be on the singular 'special' board.

• Upvote 1

☾☆ Chairman Emeritus of Mensa HQ ☾☆

"It's not about the actual fish, themselves. Fish are not important in this context. It's about fish-ing, the act of fishing itself." -Jack O'Neill

iMZejv3.gif

It does sound a bit tedious to do this manually. I feel like I should give you an idea of what to do though you've probably already thought about it.

You can automatically add someone to a group. I do it with BK's 18+ forum, they hit a button and it adds the group to their secondary group. VIP is a primary group so it takes a step out. Given that everyone's forum name has to be the same on the forums and in-game (which again makes it a lot easier), you could just write a quick query to update the ipb_core_members table to change the member_group_id column to the ID of the VIP group. Then once it expires change it back to the default group.

• Upvote 1

[22:37:51] <&Yosodog> Problem is, everyone is too busy deciding which top gun character they are that no decision has been made

BK in a nutshell

anyone want vip pip i can give you a credit if you need 

Caliph of The Caliphate of Arabia. Caliph of the Islamic State of Arabia. Principle of The Principality of Chechnya. Grand Emir of The Emirate of The Caucus. Emperor of the Empire of Persia. Sultan of The Sultanates of Turkey and The Crimea. Czar of the Tsardom of The Balkans. Archon of The Archonate of Greece. Supreme Consul of The Consulate of Italy. Shah of The Shahdom Of Khorason

Man, I'm tempted to give Sheepy money for a dumbass pip. Good job Sheepy! I hope you buy a hammock and get tangled up in it in an amusing fashion.

• Upvote 2

“I'm cheap and enjoy butchering” - Manthrax

• Administrators

It does sound a bit tedious to do this manually. I feel like I should give you an idea of what to do though you've probably already thought about it.

You can automatically add someone to a group. I do it with BK's 18+ forum, they hit a button and it adds the group to their secondary group. VIP is a primary group so it takes a step out. Given that everyone's forum name has to be the same on the forums and in-game (which again makes it a lot easier), you could just write a quick query to update the ipb_core_members table to change the member_group_id column to the ID of the VIP group. Then once it expires change it back to the default group.

Interesting, I wasn't aware that it would be that simple to automate changing permissions. However, we keep the forum and game databases completely isolated from each other, so if there's ever some sort of vulnerability on one or the other they're not both compromised.

Man, I'm tempted to give Sheepy money for a dumbass pip. Good job Sheepy! I hope you buy a hammock and get tangled up in it in an amusing fashion.

I do have one already, have yet to get tangled up in an amusing fashion :P

• Upvote 1

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

What if you're VIP but don't want the legacy pip?

Then just let me know, but there shall be no take-backsies after May 1st.

• Upvote 1

Forums Rules | Game Link

So, just to get this straight, you're retiring the forum VIP benefits but not the in-game ones? If so, that's actually fine with me, the VIP Lounge didn't see enough use as it is.

• Upvote 3

Former Imperial Officer of Internal Affairs and Emperor of the New Pacific Order, Founder of the Syndicate, Current Chief Global Strategist of the Syndicate.

• Administrators

So, just to get this straight, you're retiring the forum VIP benefits but not the in-game ones? If so, that's actually fine with me, the VIP Lounge didn't see enough use as it is.

Correct, and yes, the VIP Lounge is very inactive/uneventful.

Forums Rules | Game Link

I mean, I'd offer a firm commitment of six months just to get the ball rolling, but I see no reason why it would be a lot of work.

I'd just log in once a day, probably around 9-10PM server time, and update the permissions. If someone is too derp to know how to register a forum account then they'll simply have to figure it out if they want to be on the singular 'special' board.

Literally never let Pfeiffer have buttons for anything ever. He was fired as both an Admin and GMod at the eUSA Forums for repeated and continual access abuse.

What about custom player titles. Does this mean that they will disappear or something

Caliph of The Caliphate of Arabia. Caliph of the Islamic State of Arabia. Principle of The Principality of Chechnya. Grand Emir of The Emirate of The Caucus. Emperor of the Empire of Persia. Sultan of The Sultanates of Turkey and The Crimea. Czar of the Tsardom of The Balkans. Archon of The Archonate of Greece. Supreme Consul of The Consulate of Italy. Shah of The Shahdom Of Khorason

Or maybe we could give everyone these things? Why is the communist trying to bring capitalism to P&W?

• Upvote 1

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg

• Jax locked this topic