Terminus Est, Declaration of Netflix and Chill.

Prefontaine

Sparta in all respects is cut out to be the elite of the elite. No weak links. We've so far cut down from 1/3 to 1/8th of our membership who couldn't properly prepare.

I will respect Sparta the day they start kicking out alliance hoppers.

you know, the more i think about it, you guys are probably right. me being a dick would explain why so many of you can't keep me out of your mouths for a single day

So you like putting your dick in guys mouths!  I always imagined you as more of a catcher than a pitcher.......who would have thought?

• Upvote 3

X4EfkAB.png

Look at it like this, two thirds of many alliances are active and would readily militarize if asked to do so. The last third are what a lot of people could call "problem children" who won't or "can't" militarize because they didn't listen to direction. Sparta believes by pruning out the ineffective 1/3 you make the alliance extraordinarily stronger. Sometimes drastic measures are needed, and yeah it'll piss people off, but its better than going to war with an expected 100 members and having only 50 militarizing in prep for that war.

Sparta in all respects is cut out to be the elite of the elite. No weak links. We've so far cut down from 1/3 to 1/8th of our membership who couldn't properly prepare.

Let's be honest here. There is only one true and tried tested way of getting people to militarize in an alliance. And that is to shake their asses from a sense of security and complacency of peace and throw them into war. When you don't militarize and your alliance is stuck in a war and you get rolled, you do one of two things. You either sack up, learn from your mistakes, and become a better member of the alliance, or you rage quit and either leave or go into vacation mode. In that case, you were unreliable to begin with and good riddance.

An elite military alliance is characterized by, sure, the ability for members to follow marching orders, but also combat experience. This "military drill" achieved very little. If the ultimate goal was to shake Sparta and milling up, this was utterly pointless. In a real war, the same thing would have been done. And the same people that did not mill up in this drill were not going to mill up in the war. What this military drill achieved was simply pointing out which people in your alliance who wouldn't mill up at an expensive and external relations cost. 

Sparta just needs to get rolled by a real military alliance, like Mensa, and then Sparta's members can get their crap together. 

It's a useful mental exercise. Through the years, many thinkers have been fascinated by it. But I don't enjoy playing. It was a game that was born during a brutal age when life counted for little. Everyone believed that some people were worth more than others. Kings. Pawns. I don't think that anyone is worth more than anyone else. Chess is just a game. Real people are not pieces. You can't assign more value to some of them and not others. Not to me. Not to anyone. People are not a thing that you can sacrifice. The lesson is, if anyone who looks on to the world as if it was a game of chess, deserves to lose.

Let's be honest here. There is only one true and tried tested way of getting people to militarize in an alliance. And that is to shake their asses from a sense of security and complacency of peace and throw them into war. When you don't militarize and your alliance is stuck in a war and you get rolled, you do one of two things. You either sack up, learn from your mistakes, and become a better member of the alliance, or you rage quit and either leave or go into vacation mode. In that case, you were unreliable to begin with and good riddance.

An elite military alliance is characterized by, sure, the ability for members to follow marching orders, but also combat experience. This "military drill" achieved very little. If the ultimate goal was to shake Sparta and milling up, this was utterly pointless. In a real war, the same thing would have been done. And the same people that did not mill up in this drill were not going to mill up in the war. What this military drill achieved was simply pointing out which people in your alliance who wouldn't mill up at an expensive and external relations cost. 

Sparta just needs to get rolled by a real military alliance, like Mensa, and then Sparta's members can get their crap together.

Solid post from Sparta allies. Advocating them getting rolled.

• Upvote 1

scSqPGJ.gif

Solid post from Sparta allies. Advocating them getting rolled.

Please excuse my not-so-friendly behavior. But let's be truthful here, Seabass's lack of communication and keeping everyone in the dark wasted money and time of Sparta's allies. Not to mention the possibility that an accidental war could have happened. That is very "un-ally" behavior. A passive aggressive post which recommends an honest opinion to fix a problem that Sparta admits to having is relatively insignificant.

Not that my opinion really matters. I don't represent the leadership of Alpha. I don't represent Alpha's true feelings toward our relationship with Sparta. But I can say, with a certain degree of confidence, a certain level of displeasure from Alpha's lower members at the entire debacle that happened. 

Edited by Caecus

It's a useful mental exercise. Through the years, many thinkers have been fascinated by it. But I don't enjoy playing. It was a game that was born during a brutal age when life counted for little. Everyone believed that some people were worth more than others. Kings. Pawns. I don't think that anyone is worth more than anyone else. Chess is just a game. Real people are not pieces. You can't assign more value to some of them and not others. Not to me. Not to anyone. People are not a thing that you can sacrifice. The lesson is, if anyone who looks on to the world as if it was a game of chess, deserves to lose.

Fighting a losing war can be very good for an alliance, it allows you to see the character of all of our members.  In a winning war you can generally hide your shit members and let your good members do most of the work.  Losing wars? not so much.

As to what Seabass did, I will be as diplomatic as I can, but his goal was a noble one, just his execution was about as terrible as it could possible be.  In one decision he has undermined his credibility as an alliance leader, and the credibility of his alliance to his allies.  And impressively set back not only his alliance but his allies as well.

This was such a disaster, Steve and I were debating if someone took over Seabass's account this weekend, because at least that would make sense about why someone would troll his own alliance and his allies like this.

(feeney, you sir are a like a cat, this is the 3rd time you have managed to get out of getting rolled)

Edited by Sweeeeet Ronny D
  • Upvote 1

Fighting a losing war can be very good for an alliance, it allows you to see the character of all of our members.  In a winning war you can generally hide your shit members and let your good members do most of the work.  Losing wars? not so much.

As to what Seabass did, I will be as diplomatic as I can, but his goal was a noble one, just his execution was about as terrible as it could possible be.  In one decision he has undermined his credibility as an alliance leader, and the credibility of his alliance to his allies.  And impressively set back not only his alliance but his allies as well.

This was such a disaster, Steve and I were debating if someone took over Seabass's account this weekend, because at least that would make sense about why someone would troll his own alliance and his allies like this.

(feeney, you sir are a like a cat, this is the 3rd time you have managed to get out of getting rolled)

It was RNG.

Look at it like this, two thirds of many alliances are active and would readily militarize if asked to do so. The last third are what a lot of people could call "problem children" who won't or "can't" militarize because they didn't listen to direction. Sparta believes by pruning out the ineffective 1/3 you make the alliance extraordinarily stronger. Sometimes drastic measures are needed, and yeah it'll piss people off, but its better than going to war with an expected 100 members and having only 50 militarizing in prep for that war.

I don't doubt that Sparta has capable members and I can understand using this kind of drill as a sort of measurement for an alliance's actual military strength and capabilities. At the same time, this particular drill doesn't seem to have been conducted very well and I feel like it would be better if the members who prove themselves to be unreliable weren't there in the first place.

Well.

If the alliance has a more open approach to recruitment or if you havne't been at war for some time then testing how quickly your alliance can change to war mode isn't entirely pointless.

But yeah, building up forces which you are not going to use is a bit of a waste, and causes unnecessary concern with other alliances.

Better to just do routine warchest surveys and gauge people on how quickly they swap their improvements to warbuild I'd say, if you absolutely need a war drill.

That seems reasonable to me. I really think building up all those forces and the resources expended in doing so aren't worth what you learn from it. If you're worried about war preparedness, raise your minimum military requirements or keep some members militarized to a larger degree constantly so that they can respond more quickly to threats, or both.

Ultimately nations are sovereign entities and can do whatever they want.

I agree and obviously they have the right to act as they like but an alliance is a common effort where different people rely on each other. It's okay if you're not willing to do what your alliance asks of you but if that is the case you probably shouldn't be in that alliance. What is really the point of being a member of an alliance if you're not going to participate in the community and what they choose to do?

Edited by Big Brother

orwell_s_1984_oceania_s_currency_by_dungsc127_d97k1zt-fullview.jpg.9994c8f495b96849443aa0defa8730be.jpg

But I can say, with a certain degree of confidence, a certain level of displeasure from Alpha's lower members at the entire debacle that happened.

Then perhaps you should speak them privately rather continue to strain tensions between you and your ally in a public fashion. Seabass already took full responsibility for the shit show. Speak with him. Speak with Spartas gov. But treat them like what you are, their ally. Unless they're your ally like syndicate was. It's not like alpha hasn't been desperately seeking as many allies on paper as possible since the last war.

• Upvote 1

scSqPGJ.gif

Why even bother to play the game if you're going to give so much of your nation away.

because if you're a smaller nation you're typically going to get WAY more aid than you pay in taxes and if you're a larger nation you've hopefully learned that it can be appropriate to put other people's needs ahead of your own for the good of the alliance

I've run with 50% and 100% tax rates, 25% isn't bad at all.

Dec 26 18:48:22 <JacobH[Arrgh]>    God your worse the grealind >.>

As a spartan i think that the war drll got many of the dead weight of their asses. we now have seen who is a spartan and who is an Athenian (Pfft boy lovers and philosophers)
I may not agree with seabasstion's methods but i respect him very highly as a leader and stand by him.

They bid me take my place among them. 

In the halls of Valhalla Where the brave may live forever.

because if you're a smaller nation you're typically going to get WAY more aid than you pay in taxes and if you're a larger nation you've hopefully learned that it can be appropriate to put other people's needs ahead of your own for the good of the alliance

I've run with 50% and 100% tax rates, 25% isn't bad at all.

Fair enough, but 25% is quite extreme, I imagine that aid programs could be maintained on a much smaller tax. But to each their own.

Fair enough, but 25% is quite extreme, I imagine that aid programs could be maintained on a much smaller tax. But to each their own.

Sparta's got regular 90% tax periods.

Dunno what you're complaining about.

Wait, Sessabition rage quit?

lol no. i have neither the time nor inclination to lead an alliance anymore and i couldn't in good faith leave sparta setup for inevitable failure from a series of choices i helped make that led to systemic complacency and inadequacy for a large portion of the userbase. i decided to take a big step towards correcting this issue through a very drastic measure. 

i have no plans to quit the game im just going to probably start doing more of my own thing  :)  but when i saw narratives like 'well there goes the idea of me joining sparta for a peaceful existence' i felt very justified in doing what i did. having this type of fearful attitude is something i was looking to root out. sparta having less liabilities and cowards will hopefully prove valuable to their allies in the future as areas of improvement can now be focused on people that are worthy of investing in.

how current leadership decides to move forward is their decision but at least i was able to put the cards on the table for them

I still wouldn't leave cause of this.  This issue is really nothing.

All it showed was that people were anxious to go to war and got blueball'd out of it.

i am not leaving because of this. i more or less caused this because i knew i was leaving (the alliance - not the game). the general sentiment said i set back sparta relations - the reason i kept people in the dark was to have it all placed on me. if i am not spartan it is not reflective of them correct? maybe...maybe not. that was my thought process though so it was an attempt to be the bad guy and not have it taken out on all of the allies (spartan and third party) that i scumbagged.

im quite confident that i will never be out of a leadership role in sparta in an official or unofficial capacity and that is something i've grown very weary of so i feel a move is in order. 

Then perhaps you should speak them privately rather continue to strain tensions between you and your ally in a public fashion. Seabass already took full responsibility for the shit show. Speak with him. Speak with Spartas gov. But treat them like what you are, their ally. Unless they're your ally like syndicate was. It's not like alpha hasn't been desperately seeking as many allies on paper as possible since the last war.

Perhaps you should read my entire post. Especially about the part where I don't represent Alpha's gov. Or the fact that I did not make the decision to enter into the last war. And if you want do more passive aggressive pokes against Alpha, you should go higher up the totem pole. Were I anything but a humble member, the topic of our conversation would be much different. 

Edited by Caecus