New Resource: Phosphate

Andrezj Kolarov

So food is extremely cheap, around ~$130 ppu, the idea of this suggestion is to boost the price of food and also to make food a little more difficult to produce. In RL many countries struggle to produce enough food to feed their population, which contrasts with how easy that is in P&W. Phosphate would be mined like any other basic resource in the game, and it would be used by farms to produce food. Phosphate would be available on all continents.

For anyone who doesn't know, phosphate minerals are a source of phosphorus, without phosphorus plants cannot grow, as such phosphorus is the key component of fertilizer.

Edited by Andrezj Kolarov
  • Upvote 1

i like this idea

it might be more realistic if farm production were just vastly lowered without the phosphate resource, rather than making it required, but i see how since it is required for everything else, you might want to just make it simpler by requiring it

also, inflating the price of food significantly would mean those people who buy up all the food and horde it to sell high would make a !@#$ton of money off of the rising price, which i don't like for economic reasons. but overall, making food cost more would provide a growth-limiting factor, at the expense of making soldier upkeep significantly higher. i'm not sure if that's a good idea or not - perhaps this would need to be paired with lowering the food cost of soldiers, so as to not unbalance military

• Upvote 4

I was going to suggest having Fertilizer as a manufactured resource needed to make food, made from Phosphate, but that would probably taking it too far (though it would make food pretty valuable).

Uhh... seeing as I have... *counts farms* zero farms, I am not the biggest fan of this idea. Plus the land in Meonesia is super fertile anyway.

Well that's also another reason for this reason. Food has become so ridiculously cheap that many nations don't produce any food at all, they just import it all because it's more profitable to use those improvement slots for other production.

• Upvote 1

Well that's also another reason for this reason. Food has become so ridiculously cheap that many nations don't produce any food at all, they just import it all because it's more profitable to use those improvement slots for other production.

Exactly. Why change?

• Upvote 1

This is very small

phosphorus is a myth

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

• Administrators

Not sure this is a necessary addition to the game. Eventually I'd like to add events, at a national, regional, and global level, where things like Food production could be affected, say, on the whole continent of Africa by a drought. Throw in some shocks to the supply/demand to make things more interesting. Perhaps other events as well, like a drug epidemic that increases food consumption (see: Cheetos).

• Upvote 4

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Not sure this is a necessary addition to the game. Eventually I'd like to add events, at a national, regional, and global level, where things like Food production could be affected, say, on the whole continent of Africa by a drought. Throw in some shocks to the supply/demand to make things more interesting. Perhaps other events as well, like a drug epidemic that increases food consumption (see: Cheetos).

Currently, there's not much to do in-game when you aren't at war (hence why so many choose to raid), so this would nice to see added soon.

• Upvote 1

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg

Currently, there's not much to do in-game when you aren't at war (hence why so many choose to raid), so this would nice to see added soon.

You'll get your cheetos when chester is good and ready and not a moment before.

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

@Sheepy: That actually sounds like a fairly interesting idea, especially with food, or a Flu that increases the disease rate across a random continent/the globe etc. or a preacher that increases crime, that kind of gist, random events no one predicts to shake things up on the nation level.

Regarding the actual idea, I'm not convinced on phosphate as the actual resource (despite the thought that went in), and food should remain a cheap resource as it's necessary for your nations survival for newer players. That said, I do think we should have more resources, just to add more depth etc. to the market, although obviously not today. Perhaps plutonium etc. to aid with building a nuke, or concrete for Projects etc. or even possibly water, which once over X infra the nations normal supply runs dry, and you have to drill more wells/create more dams.

i like this idea

it might be more realistic if farm production were just vastly lowered without the phosphate resource, rather than making it required, but i see how since it is required for everything else, you might want to just make it simpler by requiring it

also, inflating the price of food significantly would mean those people who buy up all the food and horde it to sell high would make a !@#$ton of money off of the rising price, which i don't like for economic reasons. but overall, making food cost more would provide a growth-limiting factor, at the expense of making soldier upkeep significantly higher. i'm not sure if that's a good idea or not - perhaps this would need to be paired with lowering the food cost of soldiers, so as to not unbalance military

I kinda agree with him and the upkeep will surely have a negative impact on military, otherwise.