A Treatise on the Duplicity of Anti-Pirate Activities

Hereno

TEst chat:

Hereno = !@#$ guzzling !@#$got

☾☆ Chairman Emeritus of Mensa HQ ☾☆

"It's not about the actual fish, themselves. Fish are not important in this context. It's about fish-ing, the act of fishing itself." -Jack O'Neill

iMZejv3.gif

As a former vicitm of the Aaargh raids with my fat arsed infra/econ build I'm really pissed off about the changes to the mechanics.

I want revenge, actual revenge, not the kind handed down by some wooly benefactor. I want to brood in an alliance for a few months, speak to other pissed off former victims and at some point in the future, smash the pirates to shit. That's game play to me. The mechanics only matter in so far as everyone is subject to the same mechanics, however "broken" they may or may not be.

Making this another "let's all get really big, as big as we can" type game is going to make it stale, and boring really fast. In short, I pretty much agree with Hereno about the game (and the tits)

• Upvote 4

I'm glad each discussion can turn in to a dick measuring contest with an "no you", "nooooo you!" ending.

I seriously thought there was some good points of Hereno's OP but this is just silly.

There's nothing wrong with arrgh, just like there's nothing wrong with people playing Garen because he's OP cause of riot games shitty changes. If someone's game play is skewed or not is not is not their fault, it's the admin(s) and it's ultimately their responsibility to fix it if they want people to say.

I have personal problems with arrgh but that doesn't make them either inherently bad or inherently good, that's just how the game is.

Having an alliance that just goes against the hegemonic politics is fun for me, but if it's just gonna end up with this puddle of shit it's probably best to leave it alone.

Edited by Satisfriend

It's my birthday today, and I'm 33!

That means only one thing...BRING IT IN, GUYS!

*every character from every game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie, and book reality come in with everything for a HUGE party*

4nVL9WJ.jpg

you went from ~68 to like 35 or so

also where the !@#$ did you go? who is phoenix? are you really telling me that i just created the strongest leftist alliance in the game by !@#$ accident?

this planet :facepalm:

lmao, don't give yourself too much credit.

--snip--

Here's the thing. Their political ambitions are admirable, but it doesn't make the game more interesting to have a broken scoring/matching system. If just once, in the run up to this and probably future changes, someone from Arrgh had said "yeah combat is a little wonky but we still gotta do our thing", I would still have warm place in my heart for the pirates. Instead we got wall after wall of text about how everyone else is just bad and it's actually super easy to fight someone with 40% more potential and 100% more standing military if you just build right, ignoring the fact that you can't build cities with 30+ improvements and 1.6k infra and your allies can't declare on them.

Jumping on that Garen example, I've played Garen a lot since the Juggernaut patch fiasco. And every time someone has accused me of playing an OP champ, my response has been "Yep, should have banned him." And he has been nerfed and tweaked, and that's exactly what this.

The game before the update was dramatically hostile to mid tier nations. After the update... well it's better. There are still serious problems, but the game is better today than it was yesterday.

Here's the thing. Their political ambitions are admirable, but it doesn't make the game more interesting to have a broken scoring/matching system. If just once, in the run up to this and probably future changes, someone from Arrgh had said "yeah combat is a little wonky but we still gotta do our thing", I would still have warm place in my heart for the pirates. Instead we got wall after wall of text about how everyone else is just bad and it's actually super easy to fight someone with 40% more potential and 100% more standing military if you just build right, ignoring the fact that you can't build cities with 30+ improvements and 1.6k infra and your allies can't declare on them.

Jumping on that Garen example, I've played Garen a lot since the Juggernaut patch fiasco. And every time someone has accused me of playing an OP champ, my response has been "Yep, should have banned him." And he has been nerfed and tweaked, and that's exactly what this.

The game before the update was dramatically hostile to mid tier nations. After the update... well it's better. There are still serious problems, but the game is better today than it was yesterday.

It wasn't really broken before. Now it favors the Pre/farmer build. That is not broken per se, just reduces the probable frequency of war and the fun and activity that brings to the game.

• Upvote 1

-signature removed for rules violation-

I'm glad each discussion can turn in to a dick measuring contest with an "no you", "nooooo you!" ending.

I seriously thought there was some good points of Hereno's OP but this is just silly.

There's nothing wrong with arrgh, just like there's nothing wrong with people playing Garen because he's OP cause of riot games shitty changes. If someone's game play is skewed or not is not is not their fault, it's the admin(s) and it's ultimately their responsibility to fix it if they want people to say.

I have personal problems with arrgh but that doesn't make them either inherently bad or inherently good, that's just how the game is.

Having an alliance that just goes against the hegemonic politics is fun for me, but if it's just gonna end up with this puddle of shit it's probably best to leave it alone.

everybody here being rude to me are IRL conservatives in terminus est who have a long track record of internet-tough-guy-ism and absolutely terrible political opinions completely divorced from reality

except holton who is mad at me for exposing him as himself and also for other ooc disagreements we have

and dylan pascua who i don't really understand why he hates me but i've always thought he was stupid so i don't really care

oh and the guy who made his very first post on these forums a snarky remark @ me (i'm honored, really)

oh and the guy from gpa who literally had to retract his rude post because it wasn't neutral (LMAO)

point being, please don't let prefontaine and his band of merry idiots ruin an otherwise great thread

Edited by Hereno

To take your LoL analogy, the war system before was more like a team of Plat 5's being matched against a team of Bronze 5's :P

I do like that you brought league into this though.

• Upvote 1

[11:52 PM] Prefontaine: But Keegoz is actually bad. [11:52 PM] Prefontaine: He's my favorite bad leader though.

To take your LoL analogy, the war system before was more like a team of Plat 5's being matched against a team of Bronze 5's :P

I do like that you brought league into this though.

No, because rankings are based on skill. This was like level ones facing level 30's; seriously lacking in the resources to even compete.

• Upvote 1

To me these discussions have been like if you played support and some !@#$boi started greaving you for not being able to 1v1, not having more kills etc. If I wanted to adc I wouldn't have !@#$ing picked Morgana, now would I?

Anyway Hereno, I already know 90% of TEst are !@#$. Usually the case when you got a neo-nazi and a libertarian in your crew. More disappointed in the way you're behaving. Just ignore them instead, ain't too hard.

It's my birthday today, and I'm 33!

That means only one thing...BRING IT IN, GUYS!

*every character from every game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie, and book reality come in with everything for a HUGE party*

4nVL9WJ.jpg

-> Sets everyone on DNR, complains about immunity to Arrrgh piracy.

-> Doesn't bother with big alliances before update, complains about not being able to after update.

-> Wants to take on the world by himself, gets content with young and inexperienced.

What a bunch of nice meme's i could made from these. For you i won't even bother with text.

valkyrie20.jpg

Its almost as bad as my shitpost when I started :P

:sheepy:  :sheepy:  :sheepy:  :sheepy:               :sheepy:              :sheepy: :sheepy: :sheepy: :sheepy:

Greatkitteh was here.-

everybody here being rude to me are IRL conservatives in terminus est who have a long track record of internet-tough-guy-ism and absolutely terrible political opinions completely divorced from reality

except holton who is mad at me for exposing him as himself and also for other ooc disagreements we have

and dylan pascua who i don't really understand why he hates me but i've always thought he was stupid so i don't really care

oh and the guy who made his very first post on these forums a snarky remark @ me (i'm honored, really)

oh and the guy from gpa who literally had to retract his rude post because it wasn't neutral (LMAO)

point being, please don't let prefontaine and his band of merry idiots ruin an otherwise great thread

Your OP is factually incorrect on a number of points, you whine for a bit, insult the admin of the game, and then finally get to the point, which is you are starting a new alliance.  A few of your friends clicked the 'like' button.  Of course your critics came out to make an appearance.  Yeah, great thread.

Here is how it really is.  After the rule change people will continue to raid, some will make nice incomes from it, and a year or two from now you'll look back on this time and tell tales like people in (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) used to talk about \m/ or Athens or Mushroom Kingdom about how you were gods walking the earth and the rest of us had the privilege of knowing you.  But if Arrgh is no longer a thing by then, it will be 100% on Arrgh, not Sheepy, and not your critics.

In the meantime, get some ointment for that butthurt.

• Upvote 2

It wasn't really broken before. 

Unless you're part of a big grand AA how are you going to even compete with Arrrrgh! as a new/low/mid tier nation/AA? It's broken when you have no chance to fight back w/o being part of a large AA. I fail to see arguments of "AAs could fight us if they really wanted to" as being valid. 

Is Rose/VE/Alpha/NPO/or tS (or whichever AA you want to name) going to sell down to that level and fight Arrrgh! until they're beaten down to then spend hundreds of millions (or w/e the amount is) to rebuild to repeat the process every other month (or however long it'll take Arrrgh! to rebuild) just to leave themselves open to old grudges or other AAs to be taken advantage of (I wonder which AAs out there want to be number one and might take an advantage of this :P)? Or are you saying the proper way to counter Arrrrgh! is a global coalition against them with AAs taking turns to blitz them when they(Arrrghh!) rebuild?

Are you, and others, saying the system is balanced when you need all major AAs working in a concentrated effort to beat the raiders (an AA of what 50 members?)? Please. 

TLDR: it's not balanced just because there's a way to combat it (especially the way it seems people are saying). It especially isn't balanced if there is no chance to build w/o being part of a large AA or being affiliated with protection. 

Edit: Also it seems to me the old system encouraged pixel hugging of the worst nature. That is by allowing the fun and exciting war mongers and pirates to pillage weaker nations and AAs while leaving the high mid tier/high tier/super tiers free to pixel hug without any war. The way it is now (it seems, but I could easily be mistaken) is that raiders will now have to fight people capable of fighting back (namely higher tier nations *gasps*). 

Also love the LoL references. 10/10 

Edited by EliteCanada

Your OP is factually incorrect on a number of points, you whine for a bit, insult the admin of the game, and then finally get to the point, which is you are starting a new alliance.  A few of your friends clicked the 'like' button.  Of course your critics came out to make an appearance.  Yeah, great thread.

Here is how it really is.  After the rule change people will continue to raid, some will make nice incomes from it, and a year or two from now you'll look back on this time and tell tales like people in (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways) used to talk about \m/ or Athens or Mushroom Kingdom about how you were gods walking the earth and the rest of us had the privilege of knowing you.  But if Arrgh is no longer a thing by then, it will be 100% on Arrgh, not Sheepy, and not your critics.

In the meantime, get some ointment for that butthurt.

i don't even know half of those people, guy who uses the term "butthurt" unironically and is in an alliance named after the side that lost the american civil war and owned slaves

Unless you're part of a big grand AA how are you going to even compete with Arrrrgh! as a new/low/mid tier nation/AA? It's broken when you have no chance to fight back w/o being part of a large AA. I fail to see arguments of "AAs could fight us if they really wanted to" as being valid.

Is Rose/VE/Alpha/NPO/or tS (or whichever AA you want to name) going to sell down to that level and fight Arrrgh! until they're beaten down to then spend hundreds of millions (or w/e the amount is) to rebuild to repeat the process every other month (or however long it'll take Arrrgh! to rebuild) just to leave themselves open to old grudges or other AAs to be taken advantage of (I wonder which AAs out there want to be number one and might take an advantage of this :P)? Or are you saying the proper way to counter Arrrrgh! is a global coalition against them with AAs taking turns to blitz them when they(Arrrghh!) rebuild?

Are you, and others, saying the system is balanced when you need all major AAs working in a concentrated effort to beat the raiders (an AA of what 50 members?)? Please.

TLDR: it's not balanced just because there's a way to combat it (especially the way it seems people are saying). It especially isn't balanced if there is no chance to build w/o being part of a large AA or being affiliated with protection.

Edit: Also it seems to me the old system encouraged pixel hugging of the worst nature. That is by allowing the fun and exciting war mongers and pirates to pillage weaker nations and AAs while leaving the high mid tier/high tier/super tiers free to pixel hug without any war. The way it is now (it seems, but I could easily be mistaken) is that raiders will now have to fight people capable of fighting back (namely higher tier nations *gasps*).

Also love the LoL references. 10/10

That would be a strong argument if one person could not have done it alone. But one person did.

• Upvote 2

That would be a strong argument if one person could not have done it alone. But one person did.

Really it takes one nation to beat 55? Mmm, was going off of the implications of some of the other posts. 

If that is the case why would people talk about Arrrrgh as though they were a problem too costly to handle?

Really it takes one nation to beat 55? Mmm, was going off of the implications of some of the other posts.

If that is the case why would people talk about Arrrrgh as though they were a problem too costly to handle?

Donno? It was hard?

It wasn't really 55 it was like 6.

There also seems to be some evidence that this was not about aargh at all but a sustained campaign of whine by members of some alliances who have had trouble winning wars to artificially weaken their opponents.

Edited by LordRahl2

Hereno are you still mad that we didn't support your dumb raids while you were in TBC?

you mean that time i attacked someone who decided it would be a fun idea to troll me for being a rape victim and you all just sorta sat back while non-allied government nuked me in retaliation for hitting someone on a one-man aa?

not really, no, i wasn't mad to begin with, i just thought it was kind of pathetic that you were being raided and not defending yourselves and didn't see a point in being in an alliance that couldn't protect me from being raided

It makes me want to dig up that google doc of douchey Hereno quotes. :ph34r:

if this actually exists, the author should be embarrassed at caring that much about the opinions of some guy on the internet

holy shit do you people have lives at all? lmfao