Daylight Savings

Yosodog

Will the game adjust for daylight savings? It will really blow staying up until 3 AM again for update.

• Upvote 5

[22:37:51] <&Yosodog> Problem is, everyone is too busy deciding which top gun character they are that no decision has been made

BK in a nutshell

daylight shavings is a myth

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

Will the game adjust for daylight savings? It will really blow staying up until 3 AM again for update.

Sheepy hates EST players despite us being an extremely large portion of the game. Solution: Declare neutrality for 7 months

• Upvote 3

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Sheepy hates EST players despite us being an extremely large portion of the game. Solution: Declare neutrality for 7 months

lel

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

I've stayed up till 2am before, but not going to bother for 3am.

I mostly want this game adjusted for Daylight Savings because I'm a relatively new player and have just gotten used to turn change being at 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, etc... if I have to relearn to be around at 3pm, 5pm, 7pm, etc. instead... Ugh, it's just going to screw with my internal timing/scheduling.

I fully agree that this game should adjust accordingly to daylight saving. We are so accustomed to the game turns. Having the game updates at 3am puts EST players at large disadvantage due to game time screwing their internal time up. If majority of this game is EST players, then Sheepy should accommodate to EST players to give them even ground when it comes to staying awake for wars and the like. Moreover daylight saving change will make majority of the gamers in this community less worried when it comes to doing quick errands after update then off to sleep.

Edited by Stormrideron

Commander-in-Chief of Svalbard Island

Badassery Rating: 100% / Popularity Rating: 100%

Jesus Americans are pompous. Oh my time has changed so we need to change the whole game for everyone. !@#$ your est.

They even call the Intelligence agency the "Central Intelligence Agency", the anti-missile shield the "Iron Dome" and instead of having football soccer they have Baseball. We need to stand up to this Americanization/Israelification of PW.

Jesus Americans are pompous. Oh my time has changed so we need to change the whole game for everyone. !@#$ your est.

Just because your entire empire collapsed into 3rd world countries doesn't mean you need to be salty about how much better we are compared to you.

• Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Or, you know, a large portion of the game is from America.

Eventually most countries set their clocks forward anyway, why not keep it at the same time throughout for a very large majority of players?

[22:37:51] <&Yosodog> Problem is, everyone is too busy deciding which top gun character they are that no decision has been made

BK in a nutshell

• Administrators

Daylight Savings Time needs to be abolished.

I do realize, though, that the late night game updates are a major pain in the ass for a lot of players (and myself included) but I've left it as a matter of convention. I'm not really sure what a good solution is; my best compromise idea would be to make server time UTC -5 (Eastern Time Zone, w/o DST)

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I fully agree that this game should adjust accordingly to daylight saving. We are so accustomed to the game turns. Having the game updates at 3am puts EST players at large disadvantage due to game time screwing their internal time up. If majority of this game is EST players, then Sheepy should accommodate to EST players to give them even ground when it comes to staying awake for wars and the like. Moreover daylight saving change will make majority of the gamers in this community less worried when it comes to doing quick errands after update then off to sleep.

Play the game like a man, cry baby.

Daylight Savings Time needs to be abolished.

I do realize, though, that the late night game updates are a major pain in the ass for a lot of players (and myself included) but I've left it as a matter of convention. I'm not really sure what a good solution is; my best compromise idea would be to make server time UTC -5 (Eastern Time Zone, w/o DST)

I think EST would be better than MST.

Or, radical idea, make update at noon EST.

Edited by Yosodog

BK in a nutshell

• Administrators

I think EST would be better than MST.

Or, radical idea, make update at noon EST.

I could do that, I don't know how beneficial it would be for players. Do you really think more people could be online for 12PM blitzes instead of 12AM ones?

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I could do that, I don't know how beneficial it would be for players. Do you really think more people could be online for 12PM blitzes instead of 12AM ones?

Talk about some game changing blitzies!!! its easier to change when someone takes lunch then when someone goes to bed. and countering at 6 pm is much easier than countering at 6 am.. and midnight blitzes could be just as impactful as noon blitzies without the double buy.  If you can guess your opponent only logs-in once you can blitz them very hard.. and get a buy from them being inactive. If you'd do this.. You  may need to even increase attackers powers (and I already want that adjusted). 

I'd say so. Though more people would have to comment on it and agree on it because as we've seen people don't like it when you change things that don't benefit literally everyone :P

• Upvote 2

BK in a nutshell

Got bored and decided to do a map based on update time (no DST) 

And before anyone says anything, yes, I'm well aware how stupid the map looks with Asia cut in half but it was the most legible timezone map I could find (not a very high level to reach)

Also, this map is old and not representative of current timezones (ex. Saudi Arabia is purely GMT +3 and Turkey switched to GMT +2)

4JWJQbZ.jpg

Personal Note: I believe that 4 and 5am are the absolute worst update times possible followed by 6 and 3 am and then 7 and 2am. While I do believe 8 and 1 am are also not desirable I believe they are far better than any of the times between them. 

There's really no way to change the time without !@#$ over someone.

Outright flipping it screws over Australia(specifically the east) harder than any of us are currently getting screwed

Putting it in Perch, Australia likewise screws over NZ as well (putting it in the middle(I) has NZ at 3am, the time we're complaining about)

Putting it in EST screws over Europe utterly (5am brits, 6am west, 7am east)

It really pains me to say this but setting the update time to say, GMT, might be the best option. It would screw over anyone between Mecca and Bangkok, however.

If P&W switched to GMT(+7 hours):

All of Europe(minus Russia) would be between 12-2am

Australia ends up with 8-10am while NZ gets the sexy(is it really though?) mid-day update instead of India (who get's !@#$ed with a 5:30am update)

Continental US is between 4-7PM

Less prime time is "wasted" i.e. currently only NZ and Alaska are between 6-10PM but switching would result in only 10-11pm being "wasted" in under populated areas.

To sum it up

Winners:

Anyone from the Americas

Brits

Anyone who plays from west-mid Africa

Losers:

Indian subcontinent

Southeast Asia

Central Asian

The Middle East

Dioists because their god won't be awake to help them with an update blitz

Sheepy, I'd recommend looking over where your players are coming from. If the vast majority of players are European/American and only a minority are from India/Central Asia then switching to GMT might be a good idea.

Edited by Metro

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

• Administrators

I think you're right, setting the game to GMT would likely be the most ideal. I'll hold a poll to get a better opinion.

Forums Rules | Game Link

Far be it for me to disagree with every decision that's made :lol: but as presumably with lots of people, GMT is a bad time for me.  Obviously it's impossible to have a common reset time for everybody that will suit everyone or indeed stop people moaning about it.

A suggestion that I previously made was that it was linked to in game location.  Wouldn't it be cool if your reset time was based on your position on the map?!  You might actually change where people put their nations and even sell a few credits in the process.  Players could then choose their position on the map to suit their daily routine and it would add a whole new dynamic to war.  It wouldn't be a mad rush for everyone to declare or rebuild or attack at exactly the same time.  Alliances could even set up small teams who are operating in the same timezone to work together during their active times, increasing activity!

• Upvote 1

• Administrators

Far be it for me to disagree with every decision that's made :lol: but as presumably with lots of people, GMT is a bad time for me.  Obviously it's impossible to have a common reset time for everybody that will suit everyone or indeed stop people moaning about it.

A suggestion that I previously made was that it was linked to in game location.  Wouldn't it be cool if your reset time was based on your position on the map?!  You might actually change where people put their nations and even sell a few credits in the process.  Players could then choose their position on the map to suit their daily routine and it would add a whole new dynamic to war.  It wouldn't be a mad rush for everyone to declare or rebuild or attack at exactly the same time.  Alliances could even set up small teams who are operating in the same timezone to work together during their active times, increasing activity!

The only issue with that would be people purchasing location changes to get (theoretically) infinite military buys, which wouldn't really be fair.

Forums Rules | Game Link

That was fast https://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11887-server-time-zone-poll/

Also, I don't know when Europeans switch to DST but I think it should be included regardless of a change to GMT or remaining with MST.

Edited by Metro

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

The only issue with that would be people purchasing location changes to get (theoretically) infinite military buys, which wouldn't really be fair.

Then put a turn limit restriction on it, as there is for changing governments, or buying cities, or buying projects... hell, make it a 10 day wait like it is for cities/projects already, that neuters your entire concern right there.

That was fast https://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11887-server-time-zone-poll/

Also, I don't know when Europeans switch to DST but I think it should be included regardless of a change to GMT or remaining with MST.

This coming Sunday, agree summer time would be better than GMT otherwise that's 2am reset for most Europeans Edited by Phiney
T7Vrilp.png

That's fairly easy to resolve though.  Why not just set it so that you get no rebuy at all on the first daychange after a location change?  A location change really is a longer term decision anyway and people would just time their moves when they are unlikely to need a rebuy.