Change the city creation timer mechanic/military improvement change

Moon Man

I have a suggestion, how about we change the city creation timing mechanic?

The amount of cities that one has greatly increases the ability for that nation to be successful in most every area. It is also true that cities are capped at the number of improvements that they can have. This is bad for a few reasons. 1. This mechanic makes it difficult for new players to be able to successfully combat veteran players, even if they are within war range. lets have a hypothetical example. There are two nations, A and B. A just recently started playing the game, and has the maximum amount of cities that he can have due to time constraints, which for this will be 3. Due to these constraints, he already has max military improvements in his three cities, and used the rest of his money to pay for infrastructure and non military improvements. Player B on the other hand has 6 cities with very low infrastructure but with  a bit more military military improvements and forces as A. For the purposes of this, they both have the same score. A and B go to war, and B is able to sell the resource generating improvements to max the military improvements. While due to the military recruitment limitations per day, B does not have exactly double the power, B can still gain a considerable amount of units than A. Based on this information, one could argue that B would have a crushing victory against A (absent other events such as alliance involvement and whatnot).

This is a significant problem, as it favors old players significantly when compared to newer players. This is mitigated some by the cities score and the max unit building per day, but I argue that this is not enough. To solve this issue, I recommend decreasing the amount of time it takes to make a new city to once every three days instead of once every 10 days. This would lower the advantage for being a veteran player, making the game more accessible to new players and would thus aid in getting more people to play the game.

Another solution would be to remove the cap on military improvements per city, but making them increase in cost or something once more than the current maximum amount per city has been achieved. That or make it harder for people to just swap out most of their improvements for military improvements before a war starts. Infrastructure selling should also be curbed somehow, as this is a cheap way to allow veteran players to completely deck weaker players with little chance of survival for the non-infra dropped player.

Thoughts?

A new player, providing they have funds (this is where friends/alliances help), could have 4 cities within a month of joining up and 7 cities within 2 months. You will quickly run into the issue of each city costing more though and you'll spend more than 10 days gathering the required funds.

I have been playing for almost a year and I've managed 11 cities, without much trouble. Sure, the regular attacks as I was growing, were annoying. Raiders won't waste their money though on having large numbers of cities. I regularly saw them with 3-4 cities though. Once you hit 6-7 cities, the attacks disappear and you also start becoming pretty self sufficient, on your own income.

Secondly, your idea of removing the cap on military improvements, would actually increase the advantage of older players, over new players. Let's say your nation B has saved and built 10 Air Force Bases in 6 cities. That's a total of 1080 planes, with 180 planes purchasable daily. Say they only kept 360 planes, in order to keep their score low and bought more only after declaring. That would give your nation A (with only 3 cities and minimal cash flow) an initial 540 planes to deal with.

EDIT: Oops, wires crossed.

Edited by Shakyr

sig_cybernations.PNG.8d49a01423f488a0f1b846927f5acc7e.PNG

Or have militaries based on population size. For example, you can build X amount of barracks for every, oh, say, 10,000 citizens. That would neutralize the city advantage across the board. It would also mean infrastructure damage actually means something, and after you nuke someone, you actually do damage instead of just push them into the lower tier and !@#$ up your alliance mates there. In this case scenario, the point of even building cities is to gain more population at a lower cost than just overcrowding one of your cities.  

It's a useful mental exercise. Through the years, many thinkers have been fascinated by it. But I don't enjoy playing. It was a game that was born during a brutal age when life counted for little. Everyone believed that some people were worth more than others. Kings. Pawns. I don't think that anyone is worth more than anyone else. Chess is just a game. Real people are not pieces. You can't assign more value to some of them and not others. Not to me. Not to anyone. People are not a thing that you can sacrifice. The lesson is, if anyone who looks on to the world as if it was a game of chess, deserves to lose.

Or have militaries based on population size. For example, you can build X amount of barracks for every, oh, say, 10,000 citizens. That would neutralize the city advantage across the board. It would also mean infrastructure damage actually means something, and after you nuke someone, you actually do damage instead of just push them into the lower tier and !@#$ up your alliance mates there. In this case scenario, the point of even building cities is to gain more population at a lower cost than just overcrowding one of your cities.

The amount of soldiers you can buy is already capped at 20% of population, if I remember right.

sig_cybernations.PNG.8d49a01423f488a0f1b846927f5acc7e.PNG

The amount of soldiers you can buy is already capped at 20% of population, if I remember right.

But further cap it by having the population limit the amount of military buildings. And remove the military building cap. Some guy a while back suggested to remove the limits of the military buildings, so you can build like 18 barracks, or 18 airforce bases in each city. I'm saying the same thing, except instead of still limiting how many military buildings to 18, base it off of a ratio between the population and said military buildings. 

• Upvote 1

It's a useful mental exercise. Through the years, many thinkers have been fascinated by it. But I don't enjoy playing. It was a game that was born during a brutal age when life counted for little. Everyone believed that some people were worth more than others. Kings. Pawns. I don't think that anyone is worth more than anyone else. Chess is just a game. Real people are not pieces. You can't assign more value to some of them and not others. Not to me. Not to anyone. People are not a thing that you can sacrifice. The lesson is, if anyone who looks on to the world as if it was a game of chess, deserves to lose.