Polygamy/Polyandry

Rozalia

While great that homosexuality has been recognized as legitimate and gays are being given the chance to marry, there are other fights to be fought. I personally believe that the laws that forbid people to marry more then one person are a travesty, a relic from Christian religion here in the west. 

Instead of degrading relationships I think it would do the opposite. Marriage rates are down and in those marriages that occur cheating is something that is rampant. Sometimes a married wo/man meets another person that they really like, that had they met first they would have married. Currently what that leads to often is cheating and heartbreaking all round. However being able to marry more than one partner means that doesn't have to be such an issue. 

Economically is something often brought up as why it can't happen, because the system is set up for 2 people being married but... thats a cop out. The system can always be changed on that front. Beyond that I feel it'd be a positive actually as with the family unit, or party you could now say, having more people in it who support each other they should collectively be better off. 

In regards to Polyandry I don't think it'd effect the birthrate anything noticeable, but Polygamy I think would improve the birthrate nicely as the bigger unit can naturally support more children, and if one wife doesn't at that time want children the other might. 

Of course as with all things some abuse might go on so some effort has to go to making sure everything runs nicely and smoothly. 

• Upvote 4

I have no problem with polygamy. I mean it's not particularly attractive to see one man hoard numerous wives, but I've been in a 3 way relationship before. In this case however, it went 3 ways, rather than one person dating 2 people.

• Upvote 2

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

Although polygamy is a practice that has been romanticized on recent television programs, I do not believe that the popular fascination with it should extend to legalization. I think that polygamy is a misogynist practice that lends itself to the abuse of small children and women. Polygamist leaders are notorious for cases of abuse.

But hey, that's my perspective.

• Upvote 3

Although polygamy is a practice that has been romanticized on recent television programs, I do not believe that the popular fascination with it should extend to legalization. I think that polygamy is a misogynist practice that lends itself to the abuse of small children and women. Polygamist leaders are notorious for cases of abuse.

I won't disagree with that, but I think a comparison to the amount of men with one wive, who are equally abusive, would make this irrelevant. 

Edited by Fox Fire
  • Upvote 2

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

--Foxburo Wiki--

Love itself is abused. A lot. Doesn't matter the sex or number of the individuals that share it. We don't ban love.

Why do people want to be part of a polygamist relationship? It seems awkward and disgusting to my brain, but if people truly want to do so, it's not my role to judge.

I don't think it's much of a polygamy relationship, but more of the 'brotherhood' or sisterhood kind of relationship. Like a married close group of friends which there's an intamate relationship in play where there is polyamourous people about.

Tiocfaidh ár lá

=Censored by Politics and War Moderation team=

s6McZGm.jpg?1

Love itself is abused. A lot. Doesn't matter the sex or number of the individuals that share it. We don't ban love.

We've banned prostitution.

In my observations polygamy is an excuse for pimps to oppress women and make them sex slaves.

How?

next step

homosexuality -> polygamy -> necrophillia -> pedophilia

liberals push forward their agenda like this

Says the communist.

Tiocfaidh ár lá

s6McZGm.jpg?1

I don't think it's much of a polygamy relationship, but more of the 'brotherhood' or sisterhood kind of relationship. Like a married close group of friends which there's an intamate relationship in play where there is polyamourous people about.

Uh... that sounds horrible.

Edited by Dimitri Valko
  • Upvote 1

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg

Allowing polygamy in marriage is a joke because those people are obviously very immature and clearly don't know what love is. People who practice polygamy really only do it for sexual exploration, not because they are in love with more than one person. 

As for kids, that's even worse. Any sane person would want their spouse to only have children with them. My opinion here has nothing to do with the Bible because really, it's vague on the whole topic and if God was real he would have been more specific on whether it should or should not be practiced. People should stop thinking in terms of a book and think with your mind, when it comes to these things. The past does not matter because people experimented with polygamy because they didn't know any better. We've evolved enough to see that marriage is for two people who really love each other.

I won't disagree with that, but I think a comparison to the amount of men with one wive, who are equally abusive, would make this irrelevant. 

Polygamy is an exploration experience, in my opinion. People who practice polygamy, only do it to get sexual pleasure out of it. It's one of those things that are for fun, not to be taken to something as serious as marriage. If someone really does love another person, they wouldn't want to be with anyone else, but them. Having other people that you supposedly "love" goes to show you obviously don't fully love either of them. And when you think about it, if one of the spouses died, the others could just get together, showing that love isn't really expressed in the relationship because they replaced that person quickly. 

Edited by Francisco Franco
  • Upvote 1

We've banned prostitution.

How?

Says the communist.

I wouldn't call prostitution love. 

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

--Foxburo Wiki--

I was raised as a prude, so that just seems like a horrible excuse for adultery.

It couldn't be. For you couldn't covent a neighbor's wife as she is your wife as well.

Tiocfaidh ár lá

s6McZGm.jpg?1

As Fox Fire has stated; "Prostitution isn't really love". I can add onto why; you're paying for sexual gain/pleasure, not true love.

Indeed, even if we looked at it from JS Mill's point of view on Hedonism we can see that it's only "short term" pleasure and society must focus on long term pleasure. 

Tiocfaidh ár lá

s6McZGm.jpg?1

Uh... that sounds horrible.

It's great.

Polygamy is an exploration experience, in my opinion. People who practice polygamy, only do it to get sexual pleasure out of it. It's one of those things that are for fun, not to be taken to something as serious as marriage. If someone really does love another person, they wouldn't want to be with anyone else, but them. Having other people that you supposedly "love" goes to show you obviously don't fully love either of them. And when you think about it, if one of the spouses died, the others could just get together, showing that love isn't really expressed in the relationship because they replaced that person quickly. 

I can tell you from personal experience, that's not true at all. If I want to have sex with someone, I have sex with them. I don't date people if all I want is sexual satisfaction. You seem to think that it's only possible to love one person at a time, and that loving multiple people at the same time, makes all your love invalid. That's just silly. I love my entire family and I'm not being forced to choose just one person. It's easily possible to be intimately attracted to multiple people. I still am, but that doesn't nullify my affection for who I'm with now.

• Upvote 3

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

--Foxburo Wiki--

As for kids, that's even worse. Any sane person would want their spouse to only have children with them. My opinion here has nothing to do with the Bible because really, it's vague on the whole topic and if God was real he would have been more specific on whether it should or should not be practiced. People should stop thinking in terms of a book and think with your mind, when it comes to these things. The past does not matter because people experimented with polygamy because they didn't know any better. We've evolved enough to see that marriage is for two people who really love each other.

If polygamy were only for sex, then the liberal attitudes toward sex should have killed it. Marriage could be for any number of reasons. As the OP stated, you could have more people supporting kids. Maybe you'd have someone sterile in the relationship that still would like kids, so they join finances with a fertile couple. Or you could have a business partnership. Or maybe, just maybe, it's possible to genuinely love more than one person.

• Upvote 3