Compulsory Schooling.

Quasar

As much as it pains me to say this, yes. However only to a certain point, and then the decision should be made by the individual if a trade school or a general education is the chosen direction. The Anarchist in me says to screw the system overall, but meh- I gave it a donut and told it to stfu.

• Upvote 1

I personally think it's great.  Could the public school systems in the U.S. do a better job......you're damn right they could.  I think I'd revise it though, maybe make 16 the last year of mandatory school, that way, you could go and earn an associates degree if you wanted, so by the time you are an adult, you'll have a skill set and ready to join the work force.  If you don't want to go to college, then that would give you 2 years of working whatever job you can and save up a bit so you can move out when you're 18.  If you wanted to join the military, you could, with parents consent, and work in a non-combat status until you turn 18, this would give them a few years of training under their belt before hitting a battlefield instead of basic training, getting handed a weapon and hearing "good luck out there".

• Upvote 2

X4EfkAB.png

• Administrators

Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?

Probably because most people ask "Are our children learning?" ;)

• Upvote 3

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Good, but the constant push to get people into college has been irresponsible and borderline collusion among educators. There are lots of terrific jobs that you can get through a trade school. There are lots of degrees that will only qualify you for terrible jobs. Western culture has allowed a huge disconnect to develop between societal needs and individual needs that plays itself out in the job market. This is a problem that more educators should address.

Rarely is the question asked, isare our children learning?

And what are they learning? Some skills, like reading, writing, and mathematics, are the very language by which you learn other skills. Not learning them directly harms the individual. Other skills, like history or government, have almost always been propaganda by their very nature. While it isn't wise to ignore them, it is understandable when individuals get upset about the curriculum.

Probably because most people ask "Are our children learning?" ;)

U7Ghu2sh.jpg

I think some sort of education should be mandatory to age 18 in developed countries, and that education should ideally be free up to age 21, or if not free progressively funded.

Not only does it help individuals reach their potential and have a better chance at reaching their life goals, it is better for society as a whole if it is made up of well educated people. A well educated population is the basis of a strong services sector, and since our entire economy now rests on services, it should be our biggest priority to ensure the maximum possible number of people have good qualifications, and where there are skill shortages to encourage training and immigration in those sectors.

☾☆

Priest of Dio

just because the Nazis did something doesn't mean it's automatically wrong

What are your thoughts on compulsory schooling?

Is it good for our kids, is it bad?

Well I think that's a key and needed thing in today's world. It's where they go to school is the current debate.

• Upvote 1

Tiocfaidh ár lá

=Censored by Politics and War Moderation team=

s6McZGm.jpg?1

Good, but the constant push to get people into college has been irresponsible and borderline collusion among educators. There are lots of terrific jobs that you can get through a trade school. There are lots of degrees that will only qualify you for terrible jobs. Western culture has allowed a huge disconnect to develop between societal needs and individual needs that plays itself out in the job market. This is a problem that more educators should address.

That seems to be a popular theory today.  Frankly, the fact remains that statistics clearly bear out that education pays for itself and more over time.  Lifetime earnings are clear.  Are there some exceptions?  Sure, of course - but national policies should be directed by the larger data sets.

Future job requirements are difficult if not impossible to predict and that flexibility is what continuing education should prepare our workforce to compete in.

• Upvote 1

-signature removed for rules violation-

That seems to be a popular theory today.  Frankly, the fact remains that statistics clearly bear out that education pays for itself and more over time.  Lifetime earnings are clear.  Are there some exceptions?  Sure, of course - but national policies should be directed by the larger data sets.

Future job requirements are difficult if not impossible to predict and that flexibility is what continuing education should prepare our workforce to compete in.

The problem is that much of typical university education, well, doesn't. Students would often be better off with a work history than a degree. Internships and summer jobs can be more valuable for your career, since they show that you can actually work with others for a common goal. Volunteer groups aren't bad either.

All of the earnings statistics are provided by colleges, and they aren't doing earnings studies to find the truth. It's purely for marketing. You also get some distortion from majors that do meet the needs of society (and earn higher wages), as well as those students who would do well no matter what happens because of familial connections.

The example I usually give is the plight of the U.S. lawyer. At least half of those educated in law schools never work in law. Only a tenth actually have a chance at a law firm. As a result, they have the worst job conditions (I know many that work well over 60 hours a week), and usually get paid less than I do (even though I've only got a bachelors). Sure, the top end get paid, but for every rich partner, there's six or seven that never make it into law or end up making less per hour than a barista.

Not every student is meant for college, and teachers should show the benefits of trade schools, as well. Instead, many students get discouraged if they can't get in a state-funded college, or they pay out the nose for a piece of toilet paper at a private school. I'd like high school teachers to stop being mouthpieces for the ivy leagues.

U7Ghu2sh.jpg

I think some sort of education should be mandatory to age 18 in developed countries, and that education should ideally be free up to age 21, or if not free progressively funded.

Not only does it help individuals reach their potential and have a better chance at reaching their life goals, it is better for society as a whole if it is made up of well educated people. A well educated population is the basis of a strong services sector, and since our entire economy now rests on services, it should be our biggest priority to ensure the maximum possible number of people have good qualifications, and where there are skill shortages to encourage training and immigration in those sectors.

I almost feel like your meme applies to the first sentence there.

Though I do agree with the second part.

Edited by Lannan13

Tiocfaidh ár lá

=Censored by Politics and War Moderation team=

s6McZGm.jpg?1

The problem is that much of typical university education, well, doesn't. Students would often be better off with a work history than a degree. Internships and summer jobs can be more valuable for your career, since they show that you can actually work with others for a common goal. Volunteer groups aren't bad either.

That does not obviate the facts that continued education results in increased earning power over time.  Working and volunteering are great - but not so relevant.

All of the earnings statistics are provided by colleges

Nope.  This statement is factually incorrect.  The BLS is not a college.  Your following analysis is similarly flawed based on this incorrect assumption.

Not every student is meant for college, and teachers should show the benefits of trade schools, as well. Instead, many students get discouraged if they can't get in a state-funded college, or they pay out the nose for a piece of toilet paper at a private school. I'd like high school teachers to stop being mouthpieces for the ivy leagues.

I would like there to be faerie god mothers that fulfill all our dreams.  Instead we live in the world we have today where our labor force requires education and his is a trend that is unlikely to be reversed.  Now, a better debate would be to accept reality and turn our public debate to if and how much we should subsidize this education. We can include a debate on "good and bad" education as well but that should be a follow on discussion.

-signature removed for rules violation-

If I as a student refuse to go to school or refuse to adhere to school rules, what should my punishment be? And if I refuse to comply with the punishment (if it is jail time, for instance), is the end result a threat on my life? Is this going to endear my country and fellow country men to me that I should be threatened in such a manner?

Edited by Princess Bubblegum