1/12/2016 - New Anti-Cheating Measures

Alex

• Administrators

Totally thought this was already a thing. Good change, in that case. :)

In some cases, like trades, the IPs were already collected and checked against. You were unable to accept a trade sent from the same IP before (and still not allowed to do so.) But this change is much more comprehensive in tracking, even if you share the same network as someone just once you'll be prevented from trading/warring/etc. with them for the rest of eternity.

This does mean no P&W LAN parties :P

• Upvote 2

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Guest Frawley

In some cases, like trades, the IPs were already collected and checked against. You were unable to accept a trade sent from the same IP before (and still not allowed to do so.) But this change is much more comprehensive in tracking, even if you share the same network as someone just once you'll be prevented from trading/warring/etc. with them for the rest of eternity.

This does mean no P&W LAN parties :P

Just a quick point, it might be an idea to consider having an expiry on that in countries will small IP address spaces, (Singapore, Australia) its not exactly uncommon for cross IP's eventually, particularly on mobile networks.

• Wiki Mod

Just a quick point, it might be an idea to consider having an expiry on that in countries will small IP address spaces, (Singapore, Australia) its not exactly uncommon for cross IP's eventually, particularly on mobile networks.

I would tend to agree, maybe a months time frame. In previous games I've played there were issues with people occasionally just crossing cell networks & that being an issue. P&W is still fairly small but lets hope it doesn't stay that way & we need to plan ahead for this stuff. 

• Upvote 1

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

Ayye question in regard to this. Joshua Granger and I are best friends irl and we sometimes end up on the same IP when I hang out over at his house. Is this gonna become an issue if I ever need to make a transfer to him such as a loan or something? 

:wub: -removed by thor- :wub:

Ayye question in regard to this. Joshua Granger and I are best friends irl and we sometimes end up on the same IP when I hang out over at his house. Is this gonna become an issue if I ever need to make a transfer to him such as a loan or something? 

This ^

I have shared the same IP with my RL friend who plays, as we've been on the same network before.

• Upvote 1

Clearly you did not read...

Just thought I'd announce to everyone that the game is now automatically looking for IP conflicts, and if you match someone else's IP they'll be flagged as someone you can't trade with, withdraw to via banks, declare war on, espionage against, or play baseball wager matches against.

This probably doesn't matter to 99% of you, but I thought I'd just inform you about the increase in anti-cheating/multi measures, and that I'm looking to improve these any and every way that I can to create a fair game for everyone to play. Keep reporting people that you think might be multis, and we'll keep banning/deleting them. Just the nature of the game, some people will be jerks.

So yes, if you have an IP conflict with your RL friend, you won't be able to trade/transfer with them.

• Upvote 1

duskhornexceptional.png.d9e24adf7f0945530780eee694428f27.png

He's right, I'm such a stinker. Play my exceptional game!

That seems like some serious overkill.

I wouldn't be against a time-limit of say 30-45 days, for fall off.

And let's be real. Multis will still get around it by simply using a middle-man to transfer. This just makes it a bit more inconvenient, as well as more transactions for us to use to possibly catch/report multis that don't get stopped/blocked by the auto-system.

Edited by Dwynn

duskhornexceptional.png.d9e24adf7f0945530780eee694428f27.png

He's right, I'm such a stinker. Play my exceptional game!

As someone who accesses the internet via hotel wifi's and hotspots when I travel I too would argue for an expiry.

As someone who accesses the internet via hotel wifi's and hotspots when I travel, which I do all the &#33;@#&#036;ing time and all over the place, I too would argue that it is highly improbable that I will cross IPs with any of you.

• Upvote 1

-signature removed for rules violation-

Just thought I'd announce to everyone that the game is now automatically looking for IP conflicts, and if you match someone else's IP they'll be flagged as someone you can't trade with, withdraw to via banks, declare war on, espionage against, or play baseball wager matches against.

RIP like 3 alliances rite nao

• Upvote 2

• Administrators

This ^

I have shared the same IP with my RL friend who plays, as we've been on the same network before.

So you shouldn't be trading/warring/withdrawing to anyway if you're sharing networks, even sometimes. This will prevent you from "accidentally" cheating :P

As someone who accesses the internet via hotel wifi's and hotspots when I travel, which I do all the &#33;@#&#036;ing time and all over the place, I too would argue that it is highly improbable that I will cross IPs with any of you.

Right, and even if you did, what are the odds it would be someone you wanted to trade with, etc.?

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

This probably doesn't matter to 99% of you, but I thought I'd just inform you about the increase in anti-cheating/multi measures, and that I'm looking to improve these any and every way that I can to create a fair game for everyone to play. Keep reporting people that you think might be multis, and we'll keep banning/deleting them. Just the nature of the game, some people will be jerks.

There's so many holes in this though. Like VPNs and IP encryption can easily allow for multis to occur.

Tiocfaidh ár lá

=Censored by Politics and War Moderation team=

s6McZGm.jpg?1

• Administrators

There's so many holes in this though. Like VPNs and IP encryption can easily allow for multis to occur.

Oh sure it can, but 90% of people making multis are making them to get their main nation free money. And no matter what VPN you use, everyone can still see you got $X from a brand new nation that hasn't logged in for X days since created, and you're easily caught.

This update mostly prevents well-intended players from accidentally breaking the rules.

Forums Rules | Game Link

Oh sure it can, but 90% of people making multis are making them to get their main nation free money. And no matter what VPN you use, everyone can still see you got $X from a brand new nation that hasn't logged in for X days since created, and you're easily caught.

This update mostly prevents well-intended players from accidentally breaking the rules.

That's true, but those are people who really don't know how to use a puppet. You have to be descreate and that's one way to have it discovered. If you really want a puppet you'll have to make those trades gradually, have a different alliance, and make trades to other nations as well in order to cloak the puppet. Though I think that you are right by people not being smart enough to think it through, but it still doesn't excuse the fact that it's not 100% fool proof.

Tiocfaidh ár lá

=Censored by Politics and War Moderation team=

s6McZGm.jpg?1

Of course someone could use a VPN, log in a differing times of day, stagger nation creation, separate them into a puppet alliance(s) and some into real ones just to grow them off loans and grants, and through a longwinded system of trades, bank transfers, and raids, transfer money to the 'alpha' nation(s). This would be nigh undetectable with enough effort and this change will not stop this.

But really a cheater would need to be completely obsessed to do this, and this change should easily block the simplistic cheating. We may ever be able to stop multi abuse, but we can certainly keep making it harder and harder.

Also yeah, maybe some kind of expiry cause dynamic ips and such. But considering how unlikely this is, you could have it as like 3 month or more.

As you sow, so shall you reap

• Administrators

We may ever be able to stop multi abuse, but we can certainly keep making it harder and harder.

That's exactly the point. If there was an easy foolproof way to solve multis, I'd do it. And technically there is - I could verify everyone's identity by making you upload a copy of your government IDs, give me your social security numbers, and a CC number, but how many people would really want to play then? Plus, I don't want all your information.

Forums Rules | Game Link

That's exactly the point. If there was an easy foolproof way to solve multis, I'd do it. And technically there is - I could verify everyone's identity by making you upload a copy of your government IDs, give me your social security numbers, and a CC number, but how many people would really want to play then? Plus, I don't want all your information.

Then all the cheaters would simply give you fake ones, so it wouldn't even work. ;)

I would say that's mostly the case, however, they've been plenty of cases of people using muiltis for spying in (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn&#39;t be bringing it up anyways). Which can benefit not just nations, but alliances as a whole a lot more then simply sending people money.

There's really no way of stopping them other then removing mechanics that stop there being a benefit of muiltis, like the market and aid from the game, but that would ruin the game even more then muiltis do. You can install an IP blacklist to prevent open proxies and TOR, but then that comes with the risk of blocking legit users as well and it won't stop dedicated cheaters from using private VPNs to make muiltis.

Here there is no good solution to this other then trying to catch what we have. You could even get in game mods to catch and ban muiltis, however, they'd have to be something along the lines of RL friends or paid third party mods have 0 intrest in the game or else you'll quickly find some of them are abusing their powers for spying on various alliances, if you do what you have now with forum moderators. Overall, not an effective course of action.

Edited by Naruu

• Jax locked this topic