Drawing the Line Between Roleplay and Advertising

Alex

• Administrators

I've posted this decision previously, but I thought I'd make an official one-stop topic for it in particular to avoid the confusion of new threads and questions in the future. This is specifically in regards to the Donald Trump themed ads featured in-game as Player Advertisements.

It is very difficult to draw a clear line between what is acceptable in terms of roleplay, and what constitutes a real advertisement (which is against the rules.) For example, alliances like Black Knights have featured products like Doritos in their player advertisements. The question is then asked: are they advertising for Doritos (against the rules) or are they just using Doritos as part of their roleplay and identity? This is a pretty clear example of where it's the latter; I don't think anyone at Black Knights is making secret backroom deals with Doritos.

Now the same question must be asked about the TRUMP 2016 player advertisements. Are they intended to actually promote Donald Trump as a presidential candidate, or are they part of the alliance's identity (perhaps poking some humor at the political process, or just championing Donald Trump as the central theme of the alliance.) There have been multiple threads about this topic, with excellent arguments made on both sides of the debate on whether or not these ads should be allowed.

A few months ago, these ads didn't create the same amount of controversy, and I expect as we proceed toward the election they will become a hotter topic of debate. My official decision is that starting February 1st, we will not allow any player ads themed with any presidential candidate. I believe this decision is the best compromise between the issue of roleplay freedom and preventing actual advertising. I've addressed this with Princess Bubblegum and others who have purchased TRUMP 2016 ads already. Should Donald Trump drop out of the race before the election, I'll allow Donald Trump related ads (same for any current presidential candidate.) I will also allow the ads after the election is over.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post here. This will be our one-stop topic for all things related to this issue.

• Upvote 6

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

to be fair my sheep adminestator, know do not get me wrong i hate trump but i dont think PB has ties with trump like BK dose not have ties with deretos and i will not have ties with scandanvian nations. it is a allaince so it should be ok. 

The Great Emperor of New Scandinavia

This sounds more than fair. Finally maybe I'll be able to see some quality ads after Feb 1 :)

• Upvote 2

º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¸ GOD EMPEROR BIO DRANDO¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¸ BIO DRANDO GOD EMPEROR¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

It should be counted as advertising if the players only bear the name of existing RL company/products/ongoing campaign/whatever and posting related ads, but make no attempt to actually roleplay it out. For instance let's say someone with forum name 'Dave Stillbirth' posting numerous ads of ebay but there's no mention of its relevance anywhere on his nation theme or alliance, or even any his posts in in-game forums, then it's safe to say this dave is advertising ebay.

In this case, PB could be said as roleplaying as trump ingame, tho it's sorta on the err side of it. Most of his trump ads are all about making america great again (He's in north america ingame) and keeping the ayyliens out (the general BK's alliance theme)

UedhRvY.png

I've posted this decision previously, but I thought I'd make an official one-stop topic for it in particular to avoid the confusion of new threads and questions in the future. This is specifically in regards to the Donald Trump themed ads featured in-game as Player Advertisements.

It is very difficult to draw a clear line between what is acceptable in terms of roleplay, and what constitutes a real advertisement (which is against the rules.) For example, alliances like Black Knights have featured products like Doritos in their player advertisements. The question is then asked: are they advertising for Doritos (against the rules) or are they just using Doritos as part of their roleplay and identity? This is a pretty clear example of where it's the latter; I don't think anyone at Black Knights is making secret backroom deals with Doritos.

Now the same question must be asked about the TRUMP 2016 player advertisements. Are they intended to actually promote Donald Trump as a presidential candidate, or are they part of the alliance's identity (perhaps poking some humor at the political process, or just championing Donald Trump as the central theme of the alliance.) There have been multiple threads about this topic, with excellent arguments made on both sides of the debate on whether or not these ads should be allowed.

A few months ago, these ads didn't create the same amount of controversy, and I expect as we proceed toward the election they will become a hotter topic of debate. My official decision is that starting February 1st, we will not allow any player ads themed with any presidential candidate. I believe this decision is the best compromise between the issue of roleplay freedom and preventing actual advertising. I've addressed this with Princess Bubblegum and others who have purchased TRUMP 2016 ads already. Should Donald Trump drop out of the race before the election, I'll allow Donald Trump related ads (same for any current presidential candidate.) I will also allow the ads after the election is over.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post here. This will be our one-stop topic for all things related to this issue.

So because it's "very difficult", you aren't going to apply judgement or effort? 

You completely acknowledge the fact that these ads are OOC and related to Trumps campaign, yet you simply leave it at "Well I'll start cracking down on it in a couple of months". 

Bubbles arguments for his ads are just a continuation of trolling, as he does with his ads. Of course he can sit there post Trump ads. It's the name of his alliance. So of course he can run off Donald Trump ads and get away with it (It's lyke ttly IC guyz). We'll just disregard the fact that half his ads are direct memes of RL, OOC events. 

But hell, even if we did acknowledge some damn common sense once in a while, we are still left with the fact that Sheepy doesn't care. And that my friends, is where it ends. 

The reason it's a controversy is because Trump is controversial and these ads are completely OOC. Unlike other advertisements that might show historical people or political leaders, these ads are not promoting a RL election campaign. SWF is not promoting the election of Vladimir Lenin in their ads. They are not promoting a highly controversial OOC event by any means. Unlike the Donald Trump ads, they are actually IC. They are designed to promote an alliance and gather followers as they play the game.

Bubbles does not even play the game and his ads are remotely IC at very best. 

But once again, I find myself telling Sheepy something that everyone, including himself knows is a fact. It's not something that anyone has to "prove" to you, Sheepy. The evidence we all have is the exact same that you have. The question is whether or not this is acceptable? Is this how you intended this feature to be used? 

• Upvote 3

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

So because it's "very difficult", you aren't going to apply judgement or effort? 

Have you even bothered to read his discussions on the matter?  Pretty sure that shuts this question down.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Have you even bothered to read his discussions on the matter?  Pretty sure that shuts this question down.

You mean the whole argument he's been making ever since it came up? Yes, I've seen it. Refer to previous comment for details. 

• Upvote 1

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

It will be a poor time without Trump ads... PG you should at that point (Feb 1st) start doing ads on Tonald Drump who while similar looking to Donald Trump, wears sunglasses so it's a totally different guy.

It was good enough for Atlus, and whats good enough for them should be good enough for Sheepy.

YmBCM9b.png

Pictured: "The !@#$", totally not Adolf Hitler, I mean look at those sweet shades!

• Upvote 1

to be fair my sheep adminestator, know do not get me wrong i hate trump but i dont think PB has ties with trump like BK dose not have ties with deretos and i will not have ties with scandanvian nations. it is a allaince so it should be ok. 

The importance is the precedent. Whether PB has ties to Trump or not or is trolling or not, her ads support Trump as a RL candidate. That's up to her conscience, if she doesn't actually like Trump, but they support his candidacy, no matter the reason behind them. While PB appears to be a relatively well-known troll, what about another nation that shows up? It's nearly impossible to prove ties one way or the other online. Better to draw the line now so everyone knows where it is.

And I'm amazed at the amount of hate Sheepy is getting from people that support his position. PB had an agreement with Sheepy to exchange credits for her ads. It isn't fair to take away what she has already paid for, just because you don't like her. Doesn't matter if she bought the credits herself or bought them on the open market. They were her credits to use, and she used them on ads. It's a common practice in many jurisdictions to allow a grace period before rule changes go into effect.  This is to give people time to adjust their expectations and allow them to change their policies so they can follow the rules. PB now has one month to find another meme that is just as objectionable. I vote for Ross Perot, who shared many of Trump's platforms.

• Administrators

what will happens to those ads, someone had to pay for those credits it is unfair to PB who spent time to get the ingame money for the credits or payed RL money on those creddits

As I stated in the OP, I sent a PM to everyone who posted a Trump ad. PB has a few ads that are already extended beyond the deadline, for which I will refund the credits spent on those extensions, but the rest should all run out by February 1st, and PB knows not to create new ads within the time frame that would cause them to extend beyond the deadline.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I don't think anyone at Black Knights is making secret backroom deals with Doritos.

Yeah, right.

• Upvote 3

indonesia.jpg

King Bilal the Great Mediocre

The Average monarch of Billonesia

Wikia page (if you're into roleplay things).

We Tvtropes now. (down the rabbit hole!)

Why make this a specific thing just for advertisements regarding presidential candidates? Why not make a simple rule that any external advertising which has no link to the game is not allowed? 

Edited by Tywin Lannister
  • Upvote 2

My official decision is that starting February 1st, we will not allow any player ads themed with any presidential candidate.

Will I be able to make a Ron Paul advertisement? Also, if Trump drops out (thus no longer a presidential candidate) may Trump ads resume?

Sheepy plz

Edited by Syrup
  • Upvote 1

☾☆

High Priest of Dio

Will I be able to make a Ron Paul advertisement? Also, if Trump drops out (thus no longer a presidential candidate) may Trump ads resume?

Sheepy plz

Should Donald Trump drop out of the race before the election, I'll allow Donald Trump related ads (same for any current presidential candidate.) I will also allow the ads after the election is over.

• Upvote 2

I think this is fair. I am not bothered by any ads personally. I find it all very entertaining. PBG ads especially :) . think they are well put together and have a clear point.

To say Sheepy does not care after all the time spent on just this one issue is just so not true. CLEARLY he cares or he would not have spent so much time on the matter.

Edited by Naturella

Oh god.  Someone could argue that Dio Brando is an external advertisement to watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure!  Then we'll be right back here again arguing about advertisements!

• Downvote 1

Oh god. Someone could argue that Dio Brando is an external advertisement to watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure! Then we'll be right back here again arguing about advertisements!

Several people will likely do so.

Honestly, ads in general are a bad idea.

• Upvote 1

q8nfyvc.gif

I think they're hilarious.

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

The very simple truth is that this is a prime example of a blur between Role-Playing and reality. It's my personal opinion that PB has satirized both aspects of Earth and Orbis to a massively successful degree.I love this. Even if it isn't particularly the form of satire, it's been a stimulation to the community that reflects on the player-generated atmosphere well in many ways and negatively in one. It's also been hilarious. The ads themselves don't link to articles or documents actually perpetrating trump, just the videos that are his most outrageous and hilarious, possibly something identical to what could happen if this game were old enough to have graced the Bush Administration with all of this free exposure. If anything, the real world impact is that it makes people aware of Donald Trump and that Princess Bubblegum really likes making new pictures from his likeness. The in-game impact is a stimulated community, economy, and buzz to the actual game itself as well as the players. I think to repeal the decision to allow this to go on would be detrimental to the players, the game itself, and the very integrity of what a game like this is capable of.

Edited by inedibleedible
  • Upvote 1

i think i've met like like a total of twenty people between (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn&#39;t be bringing it up anyways) and PW who i didn't consider mentally broken